• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A parent dress code is being enforced at James Madison High School in Houston.

A letter from the principal was posted on the school’s website outlining items parents cannot wear when they are on campus.

“You are your child’s first teacher,” the notice states. “This is a professional educational environment where we are teaching our children what is right what is correct or not correct. We value you but we must ask you to value and follow the rules of the school environment.” ( Stop Acting A Mother Fucking Fool)

Included in the dress code is a ban on satin caps, shower caps, pajamas, hair rollers, leggings, sagging pants, low cut tops and low rider shorts.

I don't see how they can enforce that with the students let alone the parents.

They can absolutely enforce an attendance dress code among their attending students, but they haven't a legal leg to stand on in trying to enforce a dress code for the parents of their students.
As adults, who aren't attending the school for education, the parent's choices for personal dress falls under "freedom of expression" aka, 1-A. ;)

I'm on board with the no shower cap thing, but pajama bottoms and booty shorts sound normal at their age. Hell, I still wear both. I do, however, think there should be a weight limit on who's allowed to wear them.

Yes the school can enforce the policy and not allow the parents to enter the premises.

Would she be allowed to enter a court house dressed like that?

If it is freedom of expression so is a t-shirt with a confederate flag, swastika or make America great again all things that have been banned by public schools.

This is from 2010
Today, the Ninth Circuit affirmed a decision by a lower federal court in San Francisco that upheld a school district’s ban on the wearing of American flag shirts on a California high school campus in 2010 during Cinco de Mayo (May 5th)—a Mexican holiday.

On May 5, 2010, school officials from Live Oak High School in the Morgan Hill Unified School District, California, prevented five students from wearing American flag t-shirts because the officials did not want to offend “Mexican” students on “their day.” That day, some students at the school were celebrating the Mexican holiday known as Cinco de Mayo. School officials approved the Cinco de Mayo celebration, which was co-sponsored by M.E.Ch.A, a school-sanctioned student group. While school officials claimed that they were concerned about racial tension and potential threats of violence in light of an altercation that occurred between Mexican and American students on campus during a 2009 Cinco de Mayo celebration, the officials nonetheless approved the 2010 Mexican celebration, demonstrating that their fear of violence was nothing short of a pretext.

Moreover, despite banning the American flag, school officials permitted the Mexican students participating in the Cinco de Mayo celebration to wear clothing that had the colors of the Mexican flag. The Ninth Circuit held that this was permissible because school officials were not concerned about any of the American students engaging in violence against the Mexican-flag wearing students. The Ninth Circuit stated, “As the district court noted, the students offered no evidence ‘demonstrating that students wearing the colors of the Mexican flag were targeted for violence.’ The students offered no evidence that students at a similar risk of danger were treated differently, and therefore no evidence of impermissible viewpoint discrimination.”

The students wearing the American flag shirts had been on campus for over 3 hours when they were approached by an assistant principal and ordered to turn their shirts inside out. When the students refused to disrespect the American flag, the school official directed them to the principal’s office where they were lectured on the importance of Cinco de Mayo and given the option of either removing their shirts or leaving school. The students refused to remove the shirts, so they left school and then filed this civil rights lawsuit.

During the discovery phase of the lawsuit, the evidence overwhelmingly showed that school officials intentionally restricted the students’ speech on May 5, 2010, because they believed that the pro-America message conveyed by the students’ patriotic clothing would offend some Mexican students since it was Cinco de Mayo—“their day,” as one school official testified. School officials enforced the clothing restriction even though they had no objective evidence that the students were causing any disruption—let alone a material and substantial one—to the operation of the school by wearing the American flag shirts.

Despite this uncontested evidence, the lower federal court ruled in favor of the school district, stating, “Upon review, the Court finds that based on these undisputed facts, the school officials reasonably forecast that Plaintiffs’ clothing could cause a substantial disruption with school activities, and therefore did not violate [the First Amendment].” The Ninth Circuit affirmed this ruling.

I don't have kids-no, I wouldn't embarass them like that if I did. I meant running around, like gym, tanning, etc..

The Texas high school principal criticized for creating a controversial dress code for parents is refusing to back down from her decision to institute the adult wardrobe rules.

James Madison High School principal Carlotta Outley Brown made headlines in early April after a parent publicly complained that she had been refused access to the Houston, Texas, school's campus while attempting to enroll her daughter simply because she was wearing a t-shirt dress and a head scarf.

The complaint prompted Brown to formalize a dress code for parents, which banned adornments including hair bonnets, shower caps and hair rollers, as well as prohibiting clothing such as low-cut tops, leggings, excessively torn jeans, sagging pants and Daisy Dukes. Critics claimed the dress code was classist and insulting.

'I felt the need to enact the dress code because it was an educational environment, a place of learning,' Brown told Inside Edition in an interview that aired Friday. 'When anyone walks in, we have impressionable children and we have to model what we want them to know and learn.'

Brown said that the woman who complained was turned away from the school because she was wearing a 'nightshirt' and that it evident 'that she did not have anything on under her garment.'

Prior to this woman, however, Brown said that she had been seeing an increasing number of parents arriving at the school wearing eyebrow-raising attire.

One mom, Brown said, 'came in with a see-through shirt and you could clearly see her breasts and her nipples.' Meanwhile, another mom had her thong underwear visible above her pants.

Brown said the parental dress code rules, which were sent out to school parents in a letter, were necessary because 'Parents are their children's first teacher' and that formalizing the rules would 'ensure that they know how to conduct themselves.'

Continue reading at link

The mom who started this is trying to pretend that is a "dress" she was wearing. From the length, it looks more like just a big t-shirt. Not appropriate for public wear, especially at your child's school.

Also, the rules aren't "classist" imho. Saying you can't wear clothing from Walmart would be classist. Saying don't dress like a slut or a complete slob is not classist, it is common sense.

'Parents are their children's first teacher' and that formalizing the rules would 'ensure that they know how to conduct themselves.'

This, I agree with, whether it's how to dress or how to act. It's about time someone, somewhere took parents to task about being such lousy role models and then complaining that their children are being discriminated against when the kids don't know any better, they only what they've been taught by their parents.

And, of course, you know I'm not talking about all parents or only parents of a certain race,this kind of crap runs across all sections of society.

You wear pajama bottoms and booty shorts to your child's school?
Never booty shorts. But Iet one of mine get outta line at school. I will leave work, go PUT ON pajama pants, house shoes, throw my hair in the messiest bun ever and walk right up in that school calling their name loudly. Only had to do it once with my oldest (24) but the legend lives on. They all know what I did and will do, so I don't get calls from school.

Glad the principal is sticking to the rules. The fact that such a rule is necessary speaks volumes.

And, of course, you know I'm not talking about all parents or only parents of a certain race,this kind of crap runs across all sections of society.
I'm glad the principal is not backing down.
And speaking of class... in the horse show world, there is a proposal to punish parents and support people who harass judges over their rulings of child equestrians. Those monster parents are everywhere.
This isn't some local proposal, it is the FEI, the international org for horse competition.

Last edited:
Everyone knows about the website "People of Wal-Mart", well those people not only go to Wal-Mart but they also go to schools,courts, church dressed just like that, they are everywhere.
Now I know about it and am about to visit that site. Haven't set foot in a Walmart since they started pick up and now delivery. The lack of cashiers to 50 registers added with the "People of Wal-mart" was too much. I was overpaying for groceries just to not go there.

Never booty shorts. But Iet one of mine get outta line at school. I will leave work, go PUT ON pajama pants, house shoes, throw my hair in the messiest bun ever and walk right up in that school calling their name loudly. Only had to do it once with my oldest (24) but the legend lives on. They all know what I did and will do, so I don't get calls from school.
I went to nursing school with someone who used to do that.

Pretty sure the mother who dresses atrociously could still sue the school for this. She was attempting to enroll her kid at a public high school and they essentially denied his right to public education because the mother did not dress properly.... at least a lawyer could easily argue that point.

Since it's Texas, I'm not sure the mother would ultimately win, but I believe the woman would likely get some sort of settlement in just about any other state. I do think that argument could make it to court and cost the school district some money either way.

Seems like a huge fuss to control one trashy woman's outfit, give up already.

I hate when shitty parents are outraged when they're called shitty parents. Shitty mom: "Officer, why are you arresting me??? All I did was iron my sons' pants!!!" Irritated cop: "Ma'am, you ironed them while he was still in them!"

You can take my leggings when you pry them off my cold, dead legs. Of course I do have the decency to wear them with tunics or long T-shirts, and I'm not 600lbs.

Back