• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A family whose son died from suicide expressed outrage after a priest suggested he might not get into heaven and 'called him a sinner' at his funeral, according to the boy's family.

Maison Hullibarger, an 18-year-old died on December 4 after taking his own life.

Hullibarger’s grieving family said Reverend Don LaCuesta would not stop bringing up his cause of death during the teenager’s funeral on December 8, the Detroit Free Press reports.

'It was his time to tell everybody what he thought of suicide, (and) we couldn’t believe what he was saying' said Jeff Hullibarger, Maison’s father, according to the Free Press.

'He was up there condemning our son. He wondered if he had repented enough to make it to heaven. He said suicide upwards of six times'.

'There were actually a couple of younger boys who were Maison's age who left the church sobbing,' Hullibarger said.

During the funeral, Maison’s father tried to put a stop to the talk of suicide by approaching the priest and whispering to him, but he said the priest ignored him, WTVG reports.

The family has called for LaCuesta to be removed altogether.

'It’s not OK,' Jeff Hullibarger added. 'He needs to be held accountable'.

After the service, the family told the priest not to come to the cemetery, WTVG reports.

Linda Hullibarger, Maison’s mother, said: 'He basically called our son a sinner.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6498137/Outrage-priest-said-suicide-victim-not-heaven.html
1544858613819.png
1544858622494.png

They are Catholic, and in Catholicism, suicide IS a sin. They are surely aware of this.

Last edited:
Oh yes by all means pretend suicide is ok religiously.
Simpleton dimwits making their own rules.
Go to Help!...and say hi to her boy while there!
:finger::rage:

Suicide is not ok in that religious tradition, but he was there to offer comfort to the grieving, not give a sermon on the manner of death.

This guy is an absolute dick... but in a backwards ass way he might have helped the parents get through the service.

When my grandmother died, the preacher (or whatever) my relatives chose was a smarmy ass southern Baptist type that made me absolutely LIVID during the service. I was so angry I was quivering, just a humming ball of fury. My Mom was beside me and could tell how angry I was.

It took everything I had to shake that fucker's hand and not make a scene, but it was a little dicey for a bit.

Afterwards my Mom said she could tell how tense I was, and wondering about whether I was going to deck the bastard actually distracted her enough to get through her mother's funeral without falling apart.

This was a terrible thing for this priest to have done... But in a twisted way these poor parents were focused on the horror of his words and maybe not as much on the horror of burying their child.

Ill never understand why people provide so much power and leeway to religious leaders. Why did this dad merely "whisper" something to the priest instead of very vocally standing up for his dead son and putting a stop to the shitshow? Sounds like he had more respect for the priest than he did for the memory of his deceased son.

What a surprise, the Catholic church shows they dont really care about the people they serve. Not sure why this family chooses to follow a bizarre backassward trash religion like Catholocism, certainly not now. Also not sure what else they expected to happen. They know the religion theyre in. Kinda dumb on their part honestly.

Just keep that thought to yourself bro...wtf

I'm actually okay with this ...

The parents: He mentioned suicide six times ...

Me: yeah ... but yours is the kid that did more than just talk about it ... so what's going on at your house that you're going to stand here and criticise the house of GOD.

Its interesting to me when these religious folks are all good and well, until their own condemnation is applied to them. Yes, its distasteful to focus on the cause of loss, rather than the life that is lived, but that's the catholic church, they should have had a secular service. Our local catholic church made the news for not hosting a funeral due to the individual having committed suicide. But, this really isn't news at the end of the day. The priest was a dick.

What the priest said is harsh but it also reflects the modern Catechism. A Catholic funeral liturgy is an act of worship and it would be wrong of the priest to promise the family the deceased will have his spot in Heaven because the priest does not have the ability to answer this question. Only God understands the full and final intention of the boy's sin of suicide and only He may provide salutary repentance - not will provide. The word "may" is in the Catechism to provide HOPE of eternal salvation. It is not a promise.

Is it right of the priest to bring up suicide and sin in the homily? I haven't heard the homily so I don't know for sure. Catholics who seek a funeral Mass for one who committed suicide really should get a clear understanding from the priest on how he will present the homily. Don't assume it'll be show of rainbows an unicorns. It may end up being a little more Catholic than you want.

The priest would be more enthusiastic about the poor guy if he was a little kid. Blah blah blah. All i can think about is catholic priests fucking kids. Fuck him.

As been said, what the priest did was a dick move (at least he won't be doing services for suicides any more) but at the same time these parents are twits.

Cases like this is why atheists facepalm so much. Sorry parents but you don't get to pick & choose the tenets of your religion. You've read the book, you know the score. Deal...

The priest was a dick.

I don't think so ... Mental health is a hot topic, Maybe others there needed his message. That the parents don't want to hear the word suicide ... or otherwise seem incapable of handling reality ... just might be the driving force behind the occasion at all. And now I think it's really funny that it's a story here ... complain about the priest and then end up a story here ... god: you can't hide!

Does the priest pass judgment on the dead on behalf of God? That's not exactly how I remember it, but I wasn't Catholic. Considering how testy He can be, I think I'd leave the judging to Him.

If that's the case then his plan backfired spectacularly. Maybe he should stick with the more generic stuff.

You don't know that ... I think the parents look like bigger idiots than the Priest does ... like how dare they come into God house and expect warm and fuzzies, their child killed themselves.

I still think its hilarious that they complained ... SQUAWK ... He said suicide six times. They should have just kept their mouths shut, and treated themselves and their shame with some dignity ... like here we are days later talking about it. And shame isn't a bad word ... its a tool anyway.

Back