• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
@Brillig you might be right, if they have disabilities pertaining to language or memorization based subjects. Plenty of engineers suck with words, and many are dyslexic. Plenty of wonderfully awkward people do so well in the nerdy atmosphere too, it’s great.

If the learning disability includes math and science? I actually don’t know if they could get a BS in engineering from an accredited school, you need to be relatively quick at your work. Honestly not worth the attempt, there are easier ways to go that earn more money anyway.
He seems to be slow in all subjects, but reading and especially writing are the hardest for him. His memorization and recall are dismal, unless it involves a video game, then they are adequate.

This is rich! Of couse it's "all thier fault"

No one "forced" her to go to school. She choose to go, knowing full well that she was gaming the system. Glad her career as an "influencer" is over. Never heard of her before this.

Are you suggesting that they become veterans? I thought you hated veterans.

I hate most everyone.

I merely have a realistic view of servicemembers.

Doesnt negate the fact that college is readily available and paid for by the govt to any able bodied person that chooses it.

My friends are pushing hard for their kid with learning disabilities and zero motivation to graduate from high school on time with a regular degree (with a huge mountain of "accommodations" to get there), and then to attend college to become an engineer. This seems nearly impossible to me. If they were realistic, they would send him to trade school.

Military is perfect for someone with "zero motivation". Even trade school may be a bit much for a young adult with no direction/motivation/desire/plan. Military is perfect for someone like that, earn money for college, potentially do something worthwhile, all while maturing. Beats working fast food while you figure shit out.

This is rich! Of couse it's "all thier fault"

Well at least she's smart enough to realize that since her parents forked out half-a-mil to get her into a good school and that her only claim to fame is a youtube channel showcasing absolute crap... As a 'social media influencer' I'd be embarrassed as fuck too.

Welcome to reality sweetheart.

It would be hard, but I think someone with learning disabilities and high motivation might be able to pull it off. Sadly, this kid has learning disabilities and zero motivation. I predict that if he ever makes it to college he will instantly stop doing any work the moment there is nobody standing over him to force him to do it.

Sad. Does he have no motivation because his parents keep pushing him toward things he doesn't want? Has he ever shown interest in anything useful?

I think there are now more and more companies that will hire from good experience - without a degree. My company is a huge corporation one of the top 3 CRO's in the world and we will hire Project Managers without degrees, our IT department as well, even Sr. IT positions. There are many people that started here entry level n have worked their way up to making 80 plus a year within a few years of working here, as long as they work hard and put the time in.

We have a position open right now for Manager of HR global operations: This is what that asks for:
Knowledge and Experience
  • Experience with working in a Service Center environment
  • Appropriate level of experience in a Human Resources management position
  • Appropriate level of supervisory/coaching others experience (1 – 5 years)
  • Experience working/managing a global team a plus
Education
  • Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent relevant experience in an area of Human Resources or similar discipline
  • A professional qualification/certification related to HR systems or administration a plus

I was hired with no degree, but I had 10 years admin experience, experience managing small groups etc. I think large companies are realizing hiring a kid fresh out of college with no job experience or life experience do not always make the best workers etc. I got a friend of mine hired for an entry level position, her back ground was as a hair dresser and she had been a stay at home mom for a few years - within 4 years, she is an admin assistant to a few higher ups, making really good money, can work from home etc.

The company will also pay for a degree as long as it is company related (which opens up a vast selection) as long as you pass the class etc. - which once my little one is a few years older, I will be taking advantage of!

Sad. Does he have no motivation because his parents keep pushing him toward things he doesn't want? Has he ever shown interest in anything useful?
I'm not sure why he is so unmotivated. He likes some computer games, but not of the level kids his age usually play. He is a kind, good hearted boy, so at least there is that.

Also, maturity-wise, he seems about three years behind to me, so while he is 15, he presents more like a 11-12 year old. Hopefully, he as he ages, he will show more motivation and interest.

I'm not sure why he is so unmotivated. He likes some computer games, but not of the level kids his age usually play. He is a kind, good hearted boy, so at least there is that.

Also, maturity-wise, he seems about three years behind to me, so while he is 15, he presents more like a 11-12 year old. Hopefully, he as he ages, he will show more motivation and interest.
Nothing wrong with being slow if he is encouraged in the things most suitable to his skill set. His parents sound delusional though. Sad for him. Thanks for the info.

And the icing on the cake:
Olivia Jade and Bella Giannulli Were Kicked Out of Their Sorority at USC

Last edited:
My youngest (Senior in High School) says he wants to go to College . . . he hates school, and is "just" passing.
I personally am looking for an apprentice position, for him, to learn different "trades". Electrician / plumbing / masonry / Auto repair. A few hours after school a few days a week, on the weekends. I am hoping he will find something that will, spark his interest.

BOSTON (AP) — A woman accused of paying $400,000 to get her son into the University of California, Los Angeles, as a fake soccer recruit has become the 52nd person charged in a sweeping college admissions bribery scheme, according to an indictment unsealed Tuesday.

Xiaoning Sui, 48, of Surrey, British Columbia, was charged with a single count of conspiracy and fraud in the indictment unsealed in Boston’s federal court. Authorities say she was arrested in Spain on Monday night and was being held there while authorities seek to extradite her to the United States.

Sui is the first person to be charged since June, when parent Jeffrey Bizzack pleaded guilty to paying $250,000 to get his son into the University of Southern California as a fake athlete.
[....]
Prosecutors say Sui paid $400,000 to a sham charity operated by admissions consultant William “Rick” Singer as part of a scheme to have her son admitted to UCLA as a fake soccer recruit. Sui is accused of providing Singer her son’s transcript and photos of him playing tennis.

Singer worked with Laura Janke, a former assistant soccer coach at USC, to fabricate an athletic profile depicting Sui’s son as a top player on two private soccer clubs in Canada, prosecutors said. Both Singer and Janke have pleaded guilty.

Sui’s son was admitted to UCLA as a soccer player in November 2018, authorities say, and was awarded a 25% scholarship. It is unclear whether her son still attends the school. A spokesman for UCLA did not immediately comment.

Prosecutors did not explain why Sui was not part of the original group of parents charged in March. It was not immediately clear whether she has an attorney to speak for her.

Of the 51 people previously charged, 23 have pleaded guilty, including “Desperate Housewives” star Felicity Huffman , who paid $15,000 to rig her daughter’s SAT score. She was sentenced last week to 14 days in prison, 250 hours of community service and a $30,000 fine.

Another 28 defendants are contesting the charges against them, including “Full House” actress Lori Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, who are accused of paying to get their two daughters into USC as fake athletes on the crew team.

BOSTON — A Los Angeles businessman was sentenced Thursday to four months in prison for paying $400,000 to get his son into Georgetown University as a fake tennis recruit.

Stephen Semprevivo, 53, pleaded guilty in May to a single count of fraud and conspiracy in a deal with prosecutors. He is the third parent to be sentenced in a sweeping college admissions scandal that has ensnared dozens of wealthy mothers and fathers.

Authorities say Semprevivo conspired with admissions consultant William "Rick" Singer to get his son into Georgetown as a tennis recruit, even though he did not play the sport competitively. His son was admitted to Georgetown in 2016 but was expelled over the scheme earlier this year.

Semprevivo was also sentenced to two years of supervised release, 500 hours of community service, a fine of $100,000 and possible restitution to Georgetown to be decided later.
[....]
In an Aug. 17 letter asking for leniency, Semprevivo said he was driven by "foolish ambition" for his son's happiness. He said he accepts "total and full" responsibility but also said he was drawn in and manipulated by Singer.

Semprevivo says

He said he accepts "total and full" responsibility but also said he was drawn in and manipulated by Singer

No, you're not, if you are saying he enticed and manipulated you. You had a choice to do it or not, he didn't twist your arm to make you do it. So you are still blaming people other than yourself for this stupidity.

A judge on Wednesday sentenced Toby MacFarlane, a former executive at WFG National Title Insurance Company, to six months in prison for paying $450,000 to get his two children into the University of Southern California as athletic recruits. It's a longer sentence than the 12 other parents who have already received sentences in the college admissions scandal.

MacFarlane pleaded guilty to one count of honest services mail fraud, but U.S. District Judge Nathaniel Gorton said he saw this as bribery. In addition to six months in jail, MacFarlane was sentenced to two years probation, 200 hours community service and ordered to pay a $150,000 fine.

"So he thought he was going to make a gift to Mr. Singer and they'd miraculously get into USC?" Gorton said. "You don't have to use the word bribery or bribe to have an understanding of what was to happen."

Gorton called MacFarlane a thief and said he is no different from a common criminal. Gorton is a new judge in the college admissions scandal, and is seen as a tougher than some of the others who have presided over previous cases. Gorton will sentence four other parents in the early part of 2020 who changed their pleas as a third charge of bribery was about to hit them. He is also set to preside over Lori Loughlin's case.

MacFarlane will self-surrender for prison on January 2, with a request for a low security facility in Southern California.

MacFarlane referred to the payments as the "worst actions I've ever taken in my life. I'm completely humiliated and shamed." His lawyers said he lost his job and his professional license since his arrest, along with some of his properties.

According to prosecutors, MacFarlane paid $200,000 to William "Rick" Singer, the organizer of the scheme, in 2014 to get his daughter admitted as a soccer recruit. A phony athlete profile created for his daughter said she was a three-time "U.S. Club Soccer All American," even though she never earned the honor, according to The Associated Press.

MacFarlane later paid $250,000 to get his son into USC as a basketball recruit, with $50,000 going to an account managed by former USC athletics official Donna Heinel. Heinel has pleaded not guilty to federal charges, while Singer has pleaded guilty to masterminding the scheme.

Earlier Wednesday, West Hollywood test administrator Igor Dvorskiy pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit racketeering. Dvorskiy received almost $200,000 from Singer between 2017-19 to run a corrupt test site. Dvorskiy is set to be sentenced on February 7.

More than 50 people have been charged in the college admissions scheme.
[....]

"Full House" actress Lori Loughlin and her fashion designer husband pleaded not guilty Tuesday to new charges connected to a massive college admissions cheating scandal.

Lawyers for Loughlin, best known for playing Aunt Becky on the ABC sitcom and its Netflix sequel, and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, filed papers Tuesday contesting federal prosecutors, who accused them of conspiracy to commit federal program bribery.

They waived their right to appear in Boston federal court to answer the latest counts and had lawyers submit their pleas on their behalf.
[....]

(CNN)William "Rick" Singer, the mastermind of the college admissions scam, approached seven Stanford coaches about potential recruits between 2009 and his arrest in 2019, Stanford University's president said on Wednesday.

There was no evidence that any Stanford Athletics employees — aside from the former sailing coach — agreed to support a Singer client in exchange for a financial consideration, according to President Marc Tessier-Lavigne's summary of an external report by the law firm Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP.

The revelation that Singer directly or indirectly approached seven coaches shows that Singer cast a much wider net at Stanford than was previously known. Singer was the mastermind of a nationwide scheme to game the college admissions system by cheating on standardized tests and bribing athletics officials for admission.
[....]
Tessier-Lavigne wrote in the report summary that there was no systematic way for concerns about Singer to be elevated and addressed. The review found no evidence of any other fraudulent schemes for the admission of student-athletes during this period.

The report included several recommendations that Stanford is accepting, including writing a formal policy about donations and athletic recruits.

"Admission of any applicant, student-athlete or not, cannot be bought, and no donor should ever be under the impression that it can. We are currently codifying this practice into a formal written policy to ensure clarity and transparency," Tessier-Lavigne wrote.

Tessier-Lavigne said Stanford is moving to redistribute $770,000 given to the Stanford sailing program in the form of three gifts from Singer's sham charity, Key Worldwide Foundation. The California attorney general's office advised the university that the funds would be best redirected to an entity supporting financially challenged high school students seeking financial support and preparation for college admission.

Stanford will conduct another review in 18 months to ensure the recommendations have been properly implemented.

Back