• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Police in Hurst are looking for the man responsible for an assault at a McDonalds on Sunday, May 26 against a young man with autism.

22-year-old Colin Newman is still recovering from two surgeries to fix a broken ankle and fractured face.
[....]
Newman said her son's Aspergers diagnosis means that even though he's high functioning, he interacts differently than others.

"He still needs someone to watch over him, to guide him, so this is my worst fear. Someone not understanding him and taking it to this level," said Newman.

They said Colin had stopped in the restaurant along Pipeline Road sometime after 11 p.m. that night to grab a sandwich on his way home from work.

"I was throwing my drink away when a kid was trying to talk to me about a toy," said Colin.

Colin said he responded, which the child's father didn't like.

"He told me to move along very aggressively from what I remember. I, however, was tired. It was late. So I tried to diffuse the situation by giving him a fist bump. Well he didn't like that all," said Colin.

After some yelling, Colin said the man left with his child. A few minutes later, he was back to confront him.

"The last thing I remember after that... was waking up on the floor, this little bit of blood everywhere from what I could barely see," said Colin.

But while Colin came to, the man fled.

Police said the suspect could face assault against the disabled charge. But due to the fact he paid with cash and they haven't been able to get surveillance video from the restaurant, an arrest has been difficult.
[....]
"This man assaulted me without any reason that I know of. And if he assaulted me with that little amount of information, he could assault anybody," said Colin.

News video at the link.

HURST, Texas - Hurst police are working to identify a man who attacked an autistic victim after the victim spoke to the suspect's two children.
[....]
Anyone with information on this suspect is asked to call Det. Brian Charnock at (817) 788-7174.
full

I've known a few people with Asperger's. If you don't know them, they can be hard to handle at times. But no behavior I've personally seen from them would deserve this kind of beating.

A man who allegedly assaulted an autistic man at a McDonald's in Hurst is under arrest.Cleveland Crawford Jr., 24, is charged with aggravated assault with serious bodily injury for the May 26th attack on Colin Newman, 22."This was the result of an anonymous tip that came in from someone who had seen the media releases," says Hurst Police Sgt. Lonnie Brazzel. "That person was able to give us a name and a location, telling us that the man was currently being incarcerated in the Tarrant County Jail for unrelated charges at that point."Those unrelated charges were for terroristic threat and evading arrest.Jail records indicate that Crawford was on parole at the time.The charges came very quickly after the tip came in."I believe the tip came to us on July 10th," says Sgt. Brazzel; "and by July 11th, (we) had already presented those charges to the district attorney's office."Newman's family is very relieved with the news of the arrest."I didn't realize how relieved I would be until I heard the news," says Newman's mother, Kristy Newman, "and it felt like there was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders."Police say on May 26, Newman was talking with a child about a toy inside the restaurant.Crawford, presumably the child's father, allegedly didn't take too kindly to that and punched Newman in the face.Newman suffered a broken nose, a fractured face and a sprained ankle.While Newman's face has fully healed, his ankle still has a way to go."He still can't put any weight on it until around August 13th," says Kristy Newman.Mentally, however, Colin Newman is doing remarkably well."He is a very resilient person, so he is doing very well," Kristy Newman says.

Back