• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

staysblazed_xo

♥ ⁴²⁰ queen ♥
"Police in Florida have rescued three children living in "deplorable" conditions with 245 animals.

Officers were dispatched to perform a welfare check at the home in Edgewater where they found the three girls sharing the living space with hundreds of creatures of "various species".

"It was immediately evident neither the children, nor the animals were being cared for properly," Edgewater PD said. "The residence was in deplorable living conditions."

"EPD Officers observed a dead guinea pig in a cage, rotting food, animal feces and urine throughout the residence."

Pictures posted on Facebook showed the despicable state of the home, strewn with animal cages and trash, and a children's bedroom covered in droppings.

The children, aged eight, nine and ten, were removed from the residence by the Department of Children and Families and were placed with a responsible family member.

Officers also removed four dogs, two cats, nine guinea pigs (plus one deceased), 12 rabbits, four hamsters, ten sugar gliders, 14 birds, one gecko, one leopard spotted gecko, one tortoise, one hedgehog, seven bearded dragons, 95 mice, and 83 rats (60 adults and 23 babies). All were taken to Edgewater Animal Shelter.

Police said three defendants — Melissa Hamilton, Greg Nelson and Susan Nelson — will be charged with three counts of child abuse and 66 counts of animal cruelty.

While Greg and Susan were in custody, Melissa's whereabouts are currently unknown."

L I N K !!

DRD1h.jpg

From the desk of Sugar Cookie.

Two women and a man are set to be charged with child abuse and animal cruelty after police found rotting food, animal feces and urine, plus a dead guinea pig in a Florida home where three juveniles and 245 animals were living.
full

Cops hold Melissa Hamilton, 49, Gregg Nelson, 57, and Susan Nelson, 43, responsible for the disgraceful scene which was discovered when they carried out a welfare check on youngsters aged eight, nine and 10 on Sunday night.
full
full

Susan Nelson Melissa Hamilton

Among the mess were four dogs, two cats, four hamsters, 12 rabbits, 14 birds and nine live guinea pigs - plus one that had died.

'Upon arrival, officers not only located the three children, but also 245 animals of various species housed on the property,' Edgewater Police said. 'It was immediately evident neither the children, nor the animals were being cared for properly. The residence was in deplorable living conditions.
full

'EPD Officers observed a dead guinea pig in a cage, rotting food, animal feces and urine throughout the residence.'
The Edgewater property also housed 10 sugar gliders, seven bearded dragons, 95 mice plus 60 adult rats and 23 babies.
[....]
A video obtained by the Daytona Beach News Journal shows one locked up dog whinging and another black dog that appeared to be underfed and losing hair, curled up on a dusty fitted sheet tossed on the wooden floor. Behind the animal is stray straw and a finished can of soda discarded in the heap.

Susan and Gregg Nelson are in custody. Melissa Hamilton was still at large this morning.

Wow! Where would they even start to get so many animals from?! Do they have a consistent "dealer" or multiple sources? If the latter, then how would the animal suppliers not know about the other suppliers or of the family's pre-existing hoard.

But wow, filthy conditions. Impossible to take care of every animal and child in such an enclosed space filled with feces and other contaminants. These adults are grotesquely irresponsible.

From those pictures the place looks quite tidy to say that many animals lived there with three kids.
My little one can make it look like I’ve been burgled in two minutes flat.
The result is ten times worse than these pictures.
The difference being there’s no pee, feaces or droppings. (Which I don’t see in these three pictures)
Unless I see more pictures I’m going to have to say I don’t think the house was as bad as they say (considering it was effectively a zoo)

I imagine the smell would be horrific, but you can’t smell a picture.

If you’re going to say someone lived in deplorable conditions, then you need to show better pictures.....

(How else am I going to feel better because I haven’t washed up or hoovered yet???)

Oh God the refrigerator. The poop. The... everything. Cage animals get stinky so fast, I have one single rabbit and if I don't clean his cage at least every other day it's horrible.

Back