• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
APEX (WTVD) -- Was it an accident or child abuse? That's the question Apex police are trying to answer after a 3-year-old was rushed to the hospital.
The child is still in serious condition after emergency brain surgery and remains in a coma.
Now, ABC11 has learned the parents are under investigation. That came as a shock to neighbors.
[...]
Two weeks ago Philip and Michele Stein called paramedics - saying their son fell down a flight of stairs. Police say they have reason to suspect they may have abused the young boy - an orphan they adopted from China.
[...]

"I don't believe it. I've never heard her raise her voice. I've never seen her smack a child. I just can't believe it," said neighbor Wanda Holbert.

Wednesday, Apex police served a search warrant on the couple's home - seizing family photos and a phone bill.
In an affidavit, one detective describes a history of abuse and neglect reports related to the child. He also says the Steins have been uncooperative - refusing to speak to investigators on the advice of a lawyer.
[...]
"I've raised five kids and trust me - I've had things happen. I had a child who fell off a cliff and I was right there. And there's just so little you can do sometimes to prevent things," offered neighbor Sally Stoops.
[...]
Neighbors we spoke with are confident the Steins' name will eventually be cleared - but even then they worry about what it might mean for parents going forward.

"An accident prone child or several accidents can make someone paranoid you're gonna get in trouble even if it was just an accident - because people are very quick to condemn," said Ross.
[...]
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=7364729

damn right we are quick to judge. Looking around on this site just makes you aware of the few child killers/abusers caught... not the ones lurking in our own neighborhoods. Accdient prone children? They all are. But prevention is key. Part of being a parent is being proactive.... and taking care of hazards prior to something happening.

Yes, kids trip and fall. But falling off a cliff? WTF, wouldn't one hold their child's hand if on a cliff? That neighbor sounds like a dumb ass that probably will be a coming attraction to DD ..... geeez

wow, the typos in the above post are terrible. I think I am going to bed. LOL Obviously I am needing some serious sleep. :hello:

Police have charged the adoptive mother of a 3-year-old with felony child abuse, court records show.

Apex police have charged Michele Andi Stein, 39, of 121 Homegate Circle, Apex, with one count of felony child abuse, severe bodily injury, according to an arrest warrant filed Tuesday night at the Wake County Magistrate's Office.
[...]

Records also show Wake County Child Protective Services has previously investigated abuse and neglect reports concerning the child since he was adopted.
[...]

Adam was transferred March 20 to Duke, where Dr. Karen St. Claire, who is with the child abuse and neglect team, determined the injury was inconsistent with falling down six carpeted stairs.

Investigators later learned that the child had been admitted to the UNC-Chapel Hill Burn Center in January with second- and third-degree burns to both his hands.

Michele Stein told authorities that she had turned on hot water in the bathtub to give Adam a bath and had left him briefly unattended while she went to get him clean pajamas. Investigators with the county's child protective services suspected abuse, but determined the incident to be more consistent with "poor supervision and neglect," police reported.

In February, workers at the day care Adam attends noticed bruises on his back and leg. They also noticed that the child had lost weight since enrolling.

Michele Stein is in custody at the Wake County jail, where she is being held under $200,000 bail, a jail spokesman said this morning.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/04/09/429685/apex-mother-charged-with-child.html

I hate supporters

sushibuddy wrote on April, 9 12:57 PM:
To the Steins: I can't imagine what you are going through. I know you are awesome parents and the truth will come out. I would trust you with my own and I am behind you 100%. Your family is in our prayers.

Others: People are so quick to judge. They are a wonderful and loving family. I know they would never abuse a child. They are hurting and what they need is support. Please be respectful.

"Always put yourself in other people's shoes. If you feel that it hurts you, it probably hurts the person too."

Kindly,

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/04/09/429685/apex-mother-charged-with-child.html#ixzz0ku4uBz1E

They had only had little man Adam since November..... what the helllll?

Investigators searched the Steins' home last month and seized pictures and a phone bill.
what in the world?

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/7399717/

Last edited:
Apex woman bound for prison for abusing adopted son

RALEIGH -- An Apex woman will spend at least six years in prison after she pleaded guilty today to abusing her adopted son.

Michele Andi Stein of 121 Homegate Circle in Apex was sentenced to between six and eight years in prison after she pleaded guilty to one count of felony child abuse inflicting serious injury, said Melanie Shekita, a Wake County prosecutor.

Apex police in April charged Stein with felony child abuse after her 3-year-old adopted son was hospitalized with severe head injuries.

Apex investigators accused Stein of assaulting her son, Adam, so severely on March 19 that he was in a coma at Duke University Hospital.

Before the March incident, Adam had been admitted to the UNC-Chapel Hill Burn Center in January with second- and third-degree burns to both hands.

The boy was removed from the home and is now living at a residential treatment facility, Shekita said.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/10/24/1592483/apex-woman-bound-for-prison-for.html

Back