• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Forensicwx

Final Roll Call 4153. STLCO 10-42 10/13 @ 1519
Well, considering I kept this man's pic on my phone as a background for two years, as the only POW of OIF and OEF, with a heavy heart, I give you this story. The fact that we traded detainees in order to save him? :( His platoon members were right....

2wfp7og.jpg

In the 5 years he was held captive by the Haqqani insurgent network, Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl recalls that he tried to escape 12 times. The first time was just a few hours after he was captured in Afghanistan in 2009.

He was quickly recaptured and beaten. But another attempt, a year later, lasted close to nine days.

“Without food and only putrid water to drink, my body failed on top of a short mountain close to evening,” Sergeant Bergdahl wrote in a page-and-a-half, single-spaced narrative provided by his lawyer to The New York Times, the first public description of the sergeant’s captivity in his own words.

“Some moments after I came to in the dying gray light of the evening, I was found by a large Taliban searching group,” he wrote. They hit him, tried to tear out his beard and hair, and returned him to his captors.

On Wednesday, the Army announced that it was charging Sergeant Bergdahl with misbehavior before the enemy and desertion, raising the possibility that he could be imprisoned again, this time for life.

In announcing the charges against Sergeant Bergdahl, the military reignited the political firestorm that took place last summer after the sergeant was released in a swap for five Taliban detainees at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba.

For President Obama, it reopens the contentious political question of whether the United States should have agreed to the exchange. Administration officials have steadfastly maintained that even if Sergeant Berdahl did voluntarily walk off his remote base in Afghanistan, it was the duty of the United States to take all appropriate steps to free him.

The president’s national security adviser, Susan E. Rice, was harshly criticized when she said last summer that Sergeant Bergdahl had served “with honor and distinction” at the same time that his former platoon members were appearing on television accusing him of deliberately leaving the base, an act that they said put in danger the lives of the American military members who searched for him.

Sergeant Bergdahl is charged with misbehavior before the enemy, which carries a maximum sentence of up to life in prison, and with desertion, which carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison. He could also face a dishonorable discharge, reduction in rank and forfeiture of the pay he was owed while in captivity if he is tried and convicted, Army officials said during a news conference in Fort Bragg, N.C.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/us/army-bowe-bergdahl-desertion-charges.html

Well, I can already discern your stance on this.

I think there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than any of us truly know. Our government wanted him back for some reason, and they are going to get what they want from him.

I love how the article states he emailed his parents about being ashamed of being an American and how he walked off from his post, but gave us no details as to why he felt that way. The media is putting a hard spin on this one.

Personally, I am neither for nor against this guy. There is something more here. Something we may very well never know. No one gets traded for five Taliban without a good damn reason.

Well, considering I kept this man's pic on my phone as a background for two years, as the only POW of OIF and OEF, with a heavy heart, I give you this story. The fact that we traded detainees in order to save him? :( His platoon members were right....

2wfp7og.jpg

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/us/army-bowe-bergdahl-desertion-charges.html

Fo, my knowledge of our military is pretty well cursory and based on bits and pieces of what I've picked up on my own over the years. The few younger folks I've met as vets, and a lot of older guys in the mental health progs at the VA are really my only good source of IRL info when it comes to serving overseas during war time.

Knowing the basis of what this means, or what I would imagine it means to his fellow soldiers, could you kind of gimme (us?) a ball park analogy of what his actions really mean to his brothers/sisters in arms? The only thing I can compare it to would be on a much smaller, but equally emotional scale where a cop's partner not only chose to walk off and/or not have their back in the field, but put their lives in danger on the job by doing so, if that makes any sense. Any insight you can add for us folks who don't have fam. or many friends who've been in the military would be good info. to have. TIA. <3

Last edited:
Well, I can already discern your stance on this.

I think there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than any of us truly know. Our government wanted him back for some reason, and they are going to get what they want from him.

Getting him back is not something that I have a problem with. The fact that the president traded five Taliban commanders for someone who was a known deserter (and this was known as far back as 2009), is something that I cannot comprehend, unless I take into account the fact that B.O. ignored the advice of every single military advisor he spoke to. On top of it, Mr. Obama celebrated this fucking deluded traitor's release with a ceremony held in the Rose Garden of the White House, with Bergdahl's idiot parents in attendance. It is all unfathomable. As far as your statement that the government "are going to get what they want from him," there isn't anything that the military wants but to put him in prison where he belongs. The administration is embarrassed, albeit only very slightly so, as I do not think this naive fucking fool that inhabits the White House is any more likely to be embarrassed than the last naive fucking fool that inhabited the White House.

CHRON1136p1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting him back is not something that I have a problem with. The fact that the president traded five Taliban commanders for someone who was a known deserter (and this was known as far back as 2009), is something that I cannot comprehend, unless I take into account the fact that B.O. ignored the advice of every single military advisor he spoke to. On top of it, Mr. Obama celebrated this fucking deluded traitor's release with a ceremony held in the Rose Garden of the White House, with Bergdahl's idiot parents in attendance. It is all unfathomable. As far as your statement that the government "are going to get what they want from him," there isn't anything that the military wants but to put him in prison where he belongs. The administration is embarrassed, albeit only very slightly so, as I do not think this naive fucking fool that inhabits the White House is any more likely to be embarrassed than the last naive fucking fool that inhabited the White House.

CHRON1136p1.jpg

Yawn.
I'm not in the least bit interested in what you have to say about this. You're the comic relief.
Keep on flinging poo, monkey. Go get your lover too, while you're at it.

I don't give a fuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yawn.
I'm not in the least bit interested in what you have to say about this. You're the comic relief.
Keep on flinging poo, monkey. Go get your lover too, while you're at it.

I don't give a fuck.

You are not in the least bit interested in what I have to say about this? Yet you respond. You respond not with a refutation of my statement, because you cannot. You respond only with a personal attack. Do not be angry at me because you lost the argument.

Before anyone wants to kill me, I agree with Pete's post. Stone me if you will. Generally, I agree with it, that is.
I don't think Obama is the root of all evil, but I'm also not a fan. Of course I'm not actually a fan of any president. I have found several to be rather amusing, but Obama really is not the charming whoremonger Slick Willy was, or the endearing dimwit that was George W. He's kinda bland, I guess.
I agree however that it was stupid the measures taken to get Bergdahl back. I think it is bullshit honestly.
If he had been in my unit, personally, I would feel if he left on his own, he could find his way back on his own.

@gatekeeper your analogy is perfect. While we did indeed know about his possible intentions back then, combat burnout was extremely common, but there were other avenues available to him. It's easy to be there, see things, be isolated from family and friends back home, lie in bed at night and think "what the fuck am I doing here? What the fuck is the point of all this?"

Therefore I wasn't prepared to crucify him back then. If u didn't want to throw in the towel at some point, I would've called u sick in the head.

That to me, a momentary breakdown, is much different than what he did. This appears to be a deliberate, calculated, carefully considered decision.

A few things piss me off. He did it while on post. Guarding the unit. In what was obviously a Taliban military stronghold area, the Paktika province. Leaving others vulnerable. But more importantly to me, is the safety and the lives of every soldier that attempted to do a recovery mission for him. 6 soldiers lost their lives trying to save this young man!! That disgusts me. His low ranking ignorant ass had no idea what he was walking into. Trading known Taliban members for a soldier that is guilty of desertion is unacceptable.

I agree with Pete. The administration is greatly embarrassed by this, as they should be. This PRIVATE FIRST CLASS isn't going to have a ton of enemy secrets to share, considering we knew in general almost the whole time where he was and what splinter cell had him. He won't have inside working knowledge of the Taliban, they would never share that kind of info with a prisoner.

What he did risked the safety of his unit, other units, Strike Force teams, Seal teams, and his decision affected countless families in the end.

When u have a unit, a family, are in combat, desertion cuts to the core. It's about as bad as intentional friendly fire, to your fellow soldiers.

6 families will never see their soldier again. Countless more were severely injured during those missions. My conscience will not suffer if he does life in Leavenworth. And I'm disgusted that I advicated to keep the fact that he was a POW alive. He got what he wanted. To not be a soldier anymore, and that one decision caused a ripple effect that cannot be undone.

Basing my opinion on the fact that they have evidence that he's guilty of these crimes? I say Fuck Him.

*rant over*

@gatekeeper your analogy is perfect. While we did indeed know about his possible intentions back then, combat burnout was extremely common, but there were other avenues available to him. It's easy to be there, see things, be isolated from family and friends back home, lie in bed at night and think "what the fuck am I doing here? What the fuck is the point of all this?"

Therefore I wasn't prepared to crucify him back then. If u didn't want to throw in the towel at some point, I would've called u sick in the head.

That to me, a momentary breakdown, is much different than what he did. This appears to be a deliberate, calculated, carefully considered decision.

A few things piss me off. He did it while on post. Guarding the unit. In what was obviously a Taliban military stronghold area, the Paktika province. Leaving others vulnerable. But more importantly to me, is the safety and the lives of every soldier that attempted to do a recovery mission for him. 6 soldiers lost their lives trying to save this young man!! That disgusts me. His low ranking ignorant ass had no idea what he was walking into. Trading known Taliban members for a soldier that is guilty of desertion is unacceptable.

I agree with Pete. The administration is greatly embarrassed by this, as they should be. This PRIVATE FIRST CLASS isn't going to have a ton of enemy secrets to share, considering we knew in general almost the whole time where he was and what splinter cell had him. He won't have inside working knowledge of the Taliban, they would never share that kind of info with a prisoner.

What he did risked the safety of his unit, other units, Strike Force teams, Seal teams, and his decision affected countless families in the end.

When u have a unit, a family, are in combat, desertion cuts to the core. It's about as bad as intentional friendly fire, to your fellow soldiers.

6 families will never see their soldier again. Countless more were severely injured during those missions. My conscience will not suffer if he does life in Leavenworth. And I'm disgusted that I advicated to keep the fact that he was a POW alive. He got what he wanted. To not be a soldier anymore, and that one decision caused a ripple effect that cannot be undone.

Basing my opinion on the fact that they have evidence that he's guilty of these crimes? I say Fuck Him.

*rant over*

Thank you so much for putting it in perspective. <3 I'm literally sitting here with a heart ouchie, a knot in my stomach and my mouth hanging open... It's no wonder people are thinking "something stinks in Denmark."

Based on your explanation and some of the damage control spin I read on my own in the interim, the old saying, "Nothing is done in this country without a reason" just screams, well, I'm not ready to say it out loud, but let's just say the obviousness of the out-of-balance trade, esp. considering the deadly fallout in the most hostile of environments, reeks of "politics" that are NOT good for this country.

I found this whole wiki-link pretty good reading. Since I learned the short definition of the word back in jr. high, I didn't realize the definition was/has been expanded since the 70's. I'm not putting this up to be argumentative or accusatory, but I saw the word used in an editorial article about this incident, so I just looked it up to see whether or not it was even conceivable a case could ever be made for it, not that it will/should/would.

Treason: Outside legal spheres, the word "traitor" may also be used to describe a person who betrays (or is accused of betraying) his own political party, nation, family, friends, ethnic group, team, religion, social class, or other group to which he may belong. Often, such accusations are controversial and disputed, as the person may not identify with the group of which he is a member, or may otherwise disagree with the group members making the charge. See, for example, race traitor, often used by White supremacists and of people in inter-racial relationships (cf.miscegenation).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treason

I've always looked at it this way. I served in the Marines and if I was ever lost in a combat zone, I would want the military and government to do everything in their power to bring me home and determine the factual circumstances surrounding my disappearance. I think that relying on rumors, innuendo and speculation to determine whether someone is worth saving is fucking ludicrous and anyone that that believes otherwise has been watching too much Fox news.

So they got the guy back, did an investigation and are crcharging him with dessertion; it seems to me the system has worked the way it should. As for the people we released, who fucking cares, there a tens of thousands more just like them, so I doubt there release has had a substantial impact on the safety of thE country.
x1jWuyJ.gif

Last edited:
It really annoyed me inviting Bergdahl to the White House Rose Garden. That was a slap in the face to the members of his unit who stayed on post, the families of men who died trying to find him. All for some cheap publicity and media opportunities.

He sounded disillusioned in his letter, and his fellow soldiers seem to think he ran off to join the Taliban.... but have we ever heard from him why he left base that day?

The military report says that there were reports of an American with a camera looking for someone who spoke English. Made me wonder if he was just an idiot who wanted some great pictures and got lost...? And then there was this, I assume from a Taliban radio transmission the military intercepted:

UPDATE: 0610z LLVI TRAFFIC FROM REDRIDGE: freq 162.1 1- W ARE READY FOR THEM. 2- ALL THE NUMBERS ARE MESS IT. WE ARE WWAITING FOR THEM. 1- LOL THEY KNOW WHERE HE IS BUT THEY KEEP GOING TO WRONG AREA. 2- OK SET UP THE WORK FOR THEM. 1- YES WE HAVE A LOT OF IED ON THE ROAD. 2- GOD WILLING WE WILL DO IT. 1- WE WERE ATTACKING THE POST HE WAS SITTING TAKING EXPLETIVE HE HAD NO GUN WITH HIM. HE WAS TAKING EXPLETIVE, HE HAS NOT CLEANED HIS BUTT YET. 2- WHAT SHEAM FOR THEM. 1- I DONT THINK HE W 2-YES LOOK THEY HAVE ALL AMERICANS, ANA HELICOPTERS THE PLANES ARE LOOKING FOR HIM. 1- I THINK HE IS BIG SHOT THAT WHY THEY ARE LOOKING FOR HIM. 3-CAN YOU GUYS MAKE A VIDEO OF HIM AND ANNOUNCE IT ALL OVER AFGHANISTAN THAT WE HAVE ONE OF THE AMERICANS. 1- WE ALREADY HAVE A VIDEO OF HIM.
https://wikileaks.org/afg/event/2009/06/AFG20090630n1790.html

So here the Taliban is telling one another that they captured this guy unawares, when he was in the middle of taking a dump. Why would they make that up? If he went to them and wanted to help or join them, wouldn't they just say that? An American defector would be a feather in their cap, one they would boast about to each other and to the world, you'd think.

A U.S. official told CNN last week that Pentagon and Army officials have looked at the claims, and "right now there is no evidence to back that up."

The six men killed were in the 501st Infantry. All of them were killed in Paktika Province between August 18 and September 6, 2009, after the intense initial search for Bergdahl concluded but within the two- to three-month period when, by accounts from more than 20 members of the 501st, essentially every mission in the province had a PR component to it. One of those killed was from Comanche Company, two of those killed were in Bergdahl's Blackfoot Company, three were from Headquarters Company.

Here are the circumstances and details, gleaned from interviews with more than a dozen troops in the 501st, all of whom said they were motivated entirely by getting the truth out, regardless of the politics.

1) August 18, 2009 -- Staff Sgt. Clayton Bowen and Pfc. Morris Walker were killed by an IED

Bowen and Morris were part of Headquarters Company, but attached to Comanche Company, which "was conducting a recon of polling sites in order to prepare for the election on August 20," recalls a former officer from the 501st, one of whom describes his politics as left of center but who asked not to be named because of the rhetoric and accusations being leveled against troops who served with Bergdahl.

In the aftermath of the initial search for Bergdahl, called DUSTWUN (for DUTY STATUS: WHEREABOUTS UNKNOWN), the officer recalls, "there were numerous polling sites that had to be closed because security was so poor. Their platoon slept overnight at a remote site, and when they started rolling again the next morning, an IED detonated.

A 501st soldier with Comanche Company recalled the device "had been located right under their right back tire."

The mission was not specifically focused on personnel recovery but the officer said he believes Bergdahl's disappearance played something of a role in the attack since this "was the absolute worst part of western Paktika province, and it was the subject of numerous air assaults in July" that were directly focused on Bergdahl. "I believe those contributed to the worsening security situation."

Bowen, 29, was from San Antonio, Texas. Walker, 23, was from Fayetteville, North Carolina.

2) August 26, 2009 -- Staff Sgt. Kurt Curtiss is killed by small arms fire

This incident occurred after the battalion received information that the Taliban shadow sub-governor of Sar Hawza district in Paktika province -- a man who went by the name "Muslim" -- had effectively taken a local clinic hostage as he received medical treatment for wounds he received during the election, according to the former officer from the 501st.

To the leadership of the 501st, the name "Muslim" prompted an immediate response as he was supposedly connected to Bergdahl's captors, the former officer said.

An intelligence source told CNN the incident involved a commander with the terrorist Haqqani network, working directly for Mullah Sangin Zadran, the Paktika shadow governor, widely believed to have Bergdahl in his custody. "He was important as part of the mission to get to Bergdahl," the source said.

The former 501st officer echoed that detail: "The relation to Bergdahl made him a priority target."

The 4th Platoon from Delaware Company was sent to seize the Taliban official. Some from the insurgent group surrendered, but "Muslim" was nowhere to be found.

"Curtiss took his squad to search an empty building adjacent to the clinic that the Afghan National Police had supposedly cleared," the officer recalled. "It was empty, but a storage room door was wedged shut. He and his squad kicked in the door, and Curtiss was the first guy in."

Troops there that day say "Muslim" had been in the room hiding with three bodyguards, who shot Curtiss.

Additionally, 501st sources say, the insurgents threw Curtiss' grenades at the squad, after which a two-hour firefight ensued -- one that ended with Apache helicopters strafing the building. The building caught fire and killed all the insurgents except for one bodyguard, who was severely wounded. Curtiss' body was recovered before the fire.

Curtiss, 27, was from Salt Lake City, and had already done two deployments in Iraq. He left behind a wife, son and daughter.

3) September 4, 2009 -- 2nd Lt. Darryn Andrews and Pfc. Matthew Michael Martinek are attacked by an IED and a rocket-propelled grenade

Andrews and Martinek were in Bergdahl's company, Blackfoot, and were in the village of Palau, just outside of Yaya Kayhl, one of the last places where Bergdahl was believed to have gone. After Bergdahl disappeared, local Afghans and intercepted insurgent chatter placed him in that area, according to multiple sources with the 501st.

Andrews and Martinek were there to conduct atmospherics -- basically check anything and everything around Palau.

According to several sources in Blackfoot Company, among the many questions those soldiers wanted answered was: where is Bergdahl? Where are the guys who have him? Was Palau connected with the insurgents -- who by then it was believed -- had transported Bergdahl to Pakistan?

But the platoon hit an IED. In the aftermath, a cluster of soldiers tried to hook the vehicle up to chains for the wrecker and were stuck out there for hours on end. In the midst of the effort, an RPG hit them and an insurgent ambush began, according to multiple soldiers with Blackfoot company.

Andrews yelled that the RPG was coming and knocked a bunch of guys out of the way. "Jason watch out," were said to have been his last words, soldiers told Andrews' father. He was killed instantly.

The ambush brought relentless amounts of RPG and heavy artillery fire on the platoon. Martinek was trying to call for air support when he took a severely debilitating artillery round. He lived long enough to get to Landstuhl in Germany where he was taken off life support and died on September 11.

Other members of the platoon faced severe wounds, from a jaw blown off, to deafness, to severe psychological issues from that day, according to sources in Blackfoot company and the 501st. It wasn't a formal DUSTWUN mission, but it wasn't unrelated, the former 501st officer said.

Moreover, says Buetow, Blackfoot Company's mission tasking was about to change.

"We were told we were moving south to start focusing on another area of the province," Buetow says. "Our four-day mission to Observation Post Mest was going to be our last trip out there before moving south. Bowe Bergdahl left, so we then stayed in that area for several more months. We stayed in the area because Bergdahl was last known to be in that area. If he had never deserted, Andrews and Martinek would not have been on patrol in that area."

Andrews, 34, was from Dallas. He and his wife had a 2-year-old son and were expecting their second child when he was killed. Martinek, 20, was from Dekalb, Illinois.

Andrews' heroism eats at former Spc. Jose Baggett, a member of Blackfoot Company. "He pushed a sergeant out of the way" of the RPG, "and now I'm stuck watching" Bergdahl get attention from politicians, the military and the media "and they're dead and he's alive."

4) September 5, 2009 -- Staff Sgt. Michael Murphrey is hit by an IED

Da Dila Panegir village was part of an area that had been subject to searches during the DUSTWUN, and Comanche Company was charged with trying to win the locals back. That day they conducted a foot patrol to hand out supplies and meet with the leaders. In the course of the mission, Murphrey stepped on a pressurized plate that unleashed an IED and was severely wounded; he died at Forward Operating Base Sharana's hospital the next day.

That mission "wasn't an exact search, it was a 'Keep your eyes out for Bowe Bergdahl while you're there,'" said former Spc. Joseph Cox of Comanche Company, who calls Murphrey his best friend and squad leader.

And yet, the intensity of the DUSTWUN search had also enraged Afghans, soldiers said.

"Our platoon alone conducted more than 20 inserted missions operations within three days. There were massive insertions to find him," Cox said.

"This mission was probably the least related to Bergdahl" of the four missions, the former officer said, "but it was definitely in an area previously targeted -- an area where they already hated us before, but hated us more because of the search."

Murphrey, 25, left behind a wife, son, and daughter.

Pentagon spokesman Rear Adm. John Kirby had no specific comment about the four operations.

"Each death in war is tragic in its own right," Kirby said. "We will always keep in our thoughts and prayers those we have lost, as well as their families. The Army will review the circumstances surrounding Sgt. Bergdahl's disappearance and captivity. Our focus right now is on making sure Sgt. Bergdahl gets the care he needs to recover and reunite with his family."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/08/us/bergdahl-search-soldiers/

Above post is part of this one.

I'll give you this, @Forensicwx . You made my ass pull up every shred of Bergdahl information I could find for the last couple of hours.

I would just like to preempt my statement by saying I have great respect for those in the armed forces. I am very close to many friends and relatives that have served, and believe their courage and sacrifice are admirable.

That being said, let's get to my point.

When these six soldiers died it was not a direct result of operation DUSTWUN. Bergdahl went missing June 30, 2009. Intensive searching was done for weeks thereafter; which no one died in. The first death didn't even occur until August 18. More than a month after his disappearance. Reading the circumstances of these men's deaths it appears to me they were going about business as usual when they died. Then hearsay just tacked on "but they were searching for Bergdahl too."

People die in wars. I'm not making light of that. I am going to point out that it appears there is a larger agenda here, and we don't know the truth in all of these matters. You don't become a Sgt. In the military for nothing, and I don't think this kid just up and said "fuck it" one day. Something got to him.
Especially since he was in the middle of the goddamned desert when he 'deserted'.

All this outrage about this man and the supposed deaths he caused, but where is our anger for those that die out there for real things that are going on that they don't even have the faintest clue about. Our dirty politicians with their hidden agendas. While they wash their hands in blood and money WE, the unsuspecting American public, still send our sons and daughters off to die for causes we don't even understand.

The atrocities of war are outrageous.

As for our President and his involvement, do you really think he has that much power to make that happen all of his own accord? No, he doesn't. There has to be multiple levels of governmental involvement and consent for something like that to occur. Obama didn't wave his magic wand and make it become so. Multiple highranking officials had to allow this to happen.

So back to my point, what has got our government's panties in such a wad that they had to feed us these crumbs in order for them to have their cookie?

And when are they going to let us see Kenneth Dahl's investigative report into this matter? Can we even trust that?

This entire topic is really just a single drop in the political ocean when you consider the heinous things Washington has done - and continues to do - to cause, maintain, and expand strife around the world in the name of 'democracy,' creating excuses to keep warfare alive for one reason only - to make more money for themselves. They care nothing for the hundreds of thousands of lives they have destroyed in their greedy quest for more money and more power, and to me, that is far more despicable than any crime any one soldier can commit. From Obama down to the lowest chieftain in D.C., they all deserve to be jailed for life and replaced with real people, not cardboard cutouts serving some fucking corporation.

I am not fully informed on the Bergdahl story, and if he is guilty then he certainly needs to serve whatever punishment is appropriate according to the UCMJ. However, I do take offense to this country's "leaders" parading him around as an example of the good work they're doing to ensure "justice," when it's nothing more than yet another smokescreen to draw our attention away from the very crimes they are committing every single fucking day, right under the noses of the American people. They have utterly run this country into the ground and don't care - because they are wealthy enough to take care of themselves no matter the economic or political clime, while We, the People are left to clean up the mess and endure.

Fuck every last one of them - with a telephone pole. Sideways. Unlubricated.

So they got the guy back, did an investigation and are crcharging him with dessertion; it seems to me the system has worked the way it should. As for the people we released, who fucking cares, there a tens of thousands more just like them, so I doubt there release has had a substantial impact on the safety of thE country.

Obama did not have to release five Taliban commanders for one foot soldier who was known to be a deserter. He could have negotiated a better deal. He did not even attempt to do so. He gave the Taliban everything they wanted without question or hesitation. This would be the equivalent of the United States handing over five Japanese or German flag officers for a private during World War II. Do you really think Franklin Delano Roosevelt would have done such a thing? It is monstrous. I can only assume that you are being so generous and open-minded on this issue due to the fact that the Commander-in-Chief who perpetrated this ill thought out exchange had a (D) after his name on the ballot.

This entire topic is really just a single drop in the political ocean when you consider the heinous things Washington has done - and continues to do - to cause, maintain, and expand strife around the world in the name of 'democracy,' creating excuses to keep warfare alive for one reason only - to make more money for themselves. They care nothing for the hundreds of thousands of lives they have destroyed in their greedy quest for more money and more power, and to me, that is far more despicable than any crime any one soldier can commit. From Obama down to the lowest chieftain in D.C., they all deserve to be jailed for life and replaced with real people, not cardboard cutouts serving some fucking corporation.

I am not fully informed on the Bergdahl story, and if he is guilty then he certainly needs to serve whatever punishment is appropriate according to the UCMJ. However, I do take offense to this country's "leaders" parading him around as an example of the good work they're doing to ensure "justice," when it's nothing more than yet another smokescreen to draw our attention away from the very crimes they are committing every single fucking day, right under the noses of the American people. They have utterly run this country into the ground and don't care - because they are wealthy enough to take care of themselves no matter the economic or political clime, while We, the People are left to clean up the mess and endure.

Fuck every last one of them - with a telephone pole. Sideways. Unlubricated.

This is quite obviously one of the most idiotic things that I have ever read. You blame politicians for running "this country into the ground?" They give the people exactly what they want. Blaming politicians is too easy. It is too simple. It is the people themselves who have "run this country into the ground." It is the greed and stupidity of the people that have destroyed America. A majority of American voters elected Obama. They knew what he was. Unless you are a blithering idiot, you knew that this bastard was an American loathing Marxist twit. He made all of that perfectly clear when he was running for President in 2008. Anyone who did not understand this has only themselves to blame for being uninformed. As for the military situation....these wars would end if Muslims were not savages. Yet they are savages. This will not change. If the United States were to withdraw entirely from all foreign entanglements, the terror would not end. It is simply a necessity to combat them. It is unfortunate that Mr. Bush was not violent enough towards these animals when he had a mandate to destroy them, and it is abundantly clear that Mr. Obama could care less.

As for our President and his involvement, do you really think he has that much power to make that happen all of his own accord? No, he doesn't. There has to be multiple levels of governmental involvement and consent for something like that to occur. Obama didn't wave his magic wand and make it become so. Multiple highranking officials had to allow this to happen.

Yes. The final decision to release five Taliban commanders for one deserting foot soldier was a decision made entirely by Barack Hussein Obama against the advice of every single military advisor, and supposedly against the advice of several senior diplomats. Or are you saying that Barack Obama, who has no problem issuing executive orders in defiance of congressional authority...simply caved in on this issue? Which is he...man or mouse? Or are you simply prepared to defend anything and everything he does, because he has a (D) after his name on the ballot?

And when are they going to let us see Kenneth Dahl's investigative report into this matter? Can we even trust that?

Major General Dahl's report was submitted and is obviously instrumental in the charges brought against Bergdahl.

Maj. Gen. Kenneth R. Dahl investigated the Bergdahl case, and spent months interviewing unit members and commanders, and meeting with Bergdahl and his attorney, Eugene Fidell, a military justice expert who is also a visiting lecturer at Yale Law School. He submitted his report in mid-October, setting in motion a legal review on his report and how the Army can proceed.

A majority of American voters elected Obama. They knew what he was. Unless you are a blithering idiot, you knew that this bastard was an American loathing Marxist twit. He made all of that perfectly clear when he was running for President in 2008. Anyone who did not understand this has only themselves to blame for being uninformed. As for the military situation....these wars would end if Muslims were not savages. Yet they are savages. This will not change. If the United States were to withdraw entirely from all foreign entanglements, the terror would not end. It is simply a necessity to combat them. It is unfortunate that Mr. Bush was not violent enough towards these animals when he had a mandate to destroy them, and it is abundantly clear that Mr. Obama could care less.

Firstly, I seriously question whether American voters actually determine the outcome of of a Presidential election anymore. We know voter fraud exists. Electronic voting machines? Those can be programmed to deliver any result one wants. I no longer vote, and will not until 1) the electoral college is dissolved, and 2) we return to paper ballots processed by hand.

Secondly, if Mr. Bush had actually wanted to destroy our enemies when he had the opportunity, he would have done so. Instead, with 95% of the job finished, he closed up shop and let the situation continue to simmer for another day, another administration.

All of this is perpetuated by Washington to keep us enslaved to their needs.

Any economy that is based on speculation, not reality, is one designed for manipulation by those who operate it.

Firstly, I seriously question whether American voters actually determine the outcome of of a Presidential election anymore. We know voter fraud exists. Electronic voting machines? Those can be programmed to deliver any result one wants. I no longer vote, and will not until 1) the electoral college is dissolved, and 2) we return to paper ballots processed by hand.

Secondly, if Mr. Bush had actually wanted to destroy our enemies when he had the opportunity, he would have done so. Instead, with 95% of the job finished, he closed up shop and let the situation continue to simmer for another day, another administration.

All of this is perpetuated by Washington to keep us enslaved to their needs.

Any economy that is based on speculation, not reality, is one designed for manipulation by those who operate it.

Ah...a conspiracy theorist! Rigged voting machines! Black helicopters! Vaccinations! Tin-foil hats! Hilarious! Thank you, Rodney. I needed a good laugh! :crack:

Last edited:
The army investigated in 2009 and found it to be a case of desertion. The report couldn't be completed until they had Bergdahl's version of events.

Desertion is very serious. The military is trained to work as a group. To depend on each other and have each other's back. We don't send soldiers into combat alone, do we? How would it work if anyone could just walk away if they felt like it?

There weren't "rumors" of desertion. The guys who were actually there with him were totally pissed. They knew what happened.

Obama did not have to release five Taliban commanders for one foot soldier who was known to be a deserter.

Well, you got that part right.
Why we gonna start negotiating with terrorists over this piss ant, but nothing or little else?

And don't give me that I must love Obama shit.

You're a big boy Bondurant, come at me.

Let me start with I'm not attacking you, I promise, any venom you detect is aimed at the impostor in the Army uniform and NOT at you. Bowe Bergdahl's story has been all over the media for years, as well as the reasons why he felt "ashamed of being an American" He was a media darling for a very long time. Now, the media and the rest of America are PISSED at how we were duped by the Administration about this coward. Our President wanted him back so he (the President) could look like a hero and because he didn't do his homework, it blew up in his face. How this disgrace ever even made it IN the Army is beyond me. He was raised by pacifists in Hailey, Idaho. Hell, he even took ballet classes for a time. (Not that that makes him weak, gay or anything derogatory, Mikhail Baryshnikov is one of the sexiest men alive, I'm just saying that ballet also points to his rather delicate nature) He was home schooled and spent time in a Buddhist Monastery. Clearly not an ideal candidate to point a weapon at an enemy and pull the trigger. Personally, I think the Taliban 5 were traded because the President is still set on getting the detainees out of Gitmo and this was one way to get some of them out of there.

I would think he might be more qualified than some blood thirsty bastard. Bergdahl could've been a sissy for all I care.

My entire agenda here is we don't have a clue about the truth in these matters. I could care less about Bergdahl one way or the other. He's just another fall guy.

How soon we forget how many atrocities of war and lies our own country has perpetuated to 'protect' their own agendas.

I love my country, but there isn't any wool over my eyes about what we are capable of.

@Macabre

No offense taken, at all. My perspective comes from the same piss ant level as this deserter. However, I do disagree with thinking that u would have the ability to google the attempted rescue missions that were launched in order to recover this soldier. Strike Force Teams and Seal teams do not release information about their missions to the public. That would be a breach of security. I am by no means claiming I know anything more, I certainly don't. But there's a reason those guys carry Top Secret Security Clearances. If you could find it on the Internet, so can any other country. They are kept secret for a reason.

A lot of the info I gathered while he was still captive comes from his unit members in Alaska, who were there when he went missing. They are the ones discussing the searches for him and the results of higher level troops being brought into save him.

I'll say this, and I apologize, I should've said it during my rant. We leave no American behind. It was our job to attempt to recover this person. But I don't endorse the loss of human life in those efforts based on the decisions made by one man. My issue comes in when we trade 3 high ranking Taliban officials and two lower level ones for a man who chose to leave his post. THAT is where my disgust with the situation happens.

All in all, I look forward to the details in the court martial. If they ever make them public, which I doubt. Until then, we only know what we are "allowed" to know. But if the government went so far as to charge him with an Article 15, there are certainly facts that we aren't aware of yet. Especially as public as his story is. :)

@Macabre

No offense taken, at all. My perspective comes from the same piss ant level as this deserter. However, I do disagree with thinking that u would have the ability to google the attempted rescue missions that were launched in order to recover this soldier. Strike Force Teams and Seal teams do not release information about their missions to the public. That would be a breach of security. I am by no means claiming I know anything more, I certainly don't. But there's a reason those guys carry Top Secret Security Clearances. If you could find it on the Internet, so can any other country. They are kept secret for a reason.

A lot of the info I gathered while he was still captive comes from his unit members in Alaska, who were there when he went missing. They are the ones discussing the searches for him and the results of higher level troops being brought into save him.

I'll say this, and I apologize, I should've said it during my rant. We leave no American behind. It was our job to attempt to recover this person. But I don't endorse the loss of human life in those efforts based on the decisions made by one man. My issue comes in when we trade 3 high ranking Taliban officials and two lower level ones for a man who chose to leave his post. THAT is where my disgust with the situation happens.

All in all, I look forward to the details in the court martial. If they ever make them public, which I doubt. Until then, we only know what we are "allowed" to know. But if the government went so far as to charge him with an Article 15, there are certainly facts that we aren't aware of yet. Especially as public as his story is. :)

Eh, you're no piss ant.

I think people might be on the whole idea that I'm some sort of sympathizer. Hey, you sign the dotted line, you sign your life away. If that dude deserted his post, fuck him for that.

They very well may have sent in those special units for him. Fuck if we know.

You of all people know how things are handled 'inside' a situation versus what the public sees. It applies to our military too. That is the thing that I have been beating to death here. There is shit going down that we don't understand.

Why degrade this man for him being traded for five Taliban? Does anybody really believe that's what we gave them five Taliban for?

Yeah, he may be a pussy deserter. That sucks. However; I'm still sitting over here trying to figure out what he deserted for. He may have gone about it the wrong way for that, but wtf possesses a Sgt. to run off into bum fuck.

Back