• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
1568645137566.png

Authorities in New Jersey are investigating an attempted abduction after a child reported Sunday afternoon that a man approached her and put a paper bag over her head.

The Howell Township Police Department said on Facebook the incident was reported around 3 p.m. on Crooked Stick Court in the Adelphia Greens residential development off Route 9, located about 50 miles south of New York City.

The 6-year-old girl said she was outside playing with friends when most of the other children went inside.

The girl then stayed outside cleaning up toys when a man approached her and placed the bag over her head, according to police.

Police said the girl screamed, spooking the would-be kidnapper, and while he ran away she ran inside her home. She was not injured during the incident.

"It was reported he never tried to grab her," police said.

Howell Township police said the girl described the man to officers as the driver of a black SUV. The man is described as 40 years old with black hair, a beard and a thin build.

He was described as wearing black shorts and a black t-shirt. He took with him the paper bag that he allegedly placed over the girl's head.

Fuck people who lol about helicopter parents.

I was a total free range kid. In the summers, especially- sunup to sundown. My mom probably would not have worried until well after we were late for dinner.

But I never afforded that same freedom to my own kid, as much as it grieved me. She begged to walk to school when she was in first grade....we lived in an older neighborhood with her “neighborhood school” only four blocks away. I never allowed it. Even when she was in fifth grade, my answer was “no”.

I know “people” say that today’s kids are no more at risk than kids in the 70’s, just that we hear about it more. That may be. It was not a mountain upon which I was willing to die.

Cos no takesies backsies. I would find little comfort in “statistically, children are no more at risk.....” while burying my murdered child (or worse, going to my own grave never knowing).

I know this child is now safe. And thank goodness. I apologize for the tangental rant. I suppose stories like this make me feel justified in my vigilance.

Cos no takesies backsies. I would find little comfort in “statistically, children are no more at risk.....” while burying my murdered child (or worse, going to my own grave never knowing).
I get it totally, I do. I also would have blamed myself for the rest of my life.

But there’s something to be said for teaching kids some independence. My 3rd grade son begged to be allowed to walk to school. I agonized but I also want my kids to learn to take care of themselves. Of course, I ended up following him in my car but he didn’t know that. He did fine.

Of course then he became a teenager who liked to walk the railroad tracks (!!!), so I really screwed myself there.

I get it totally, I do. I also would have blamed myself for the rest of my life.

But there’s something to be said for teaching kids some independence. My 3rd grade son begged to be allowed to walk to school. I agonized but I also want my kids to learn to take care of themselves. Of course, I ended up following him in my car but he didn’t know that. He did fine.

Of course then he became a teenager who liked to walk the railroad tracks (!!!), so I really screwed myself there.
Mine is driving now.

I don’t sleep so good.

She is super responsible and we have a very open relationship, but still.....teenager with (hand me down Mom-ride) wheels. Eeek.

We lived in a rural area. I did let my son free range, but I also told him what to do if a stranger tried to get too close. There weren't many street signs, so drivers on the main road would often pull up and ask for directions.

The thing that impresses me is, a 6 year old girl in such a situation, bag on head and all, was able to recount the incident to such a degree - vehicle and perp description and such.

I doubt I would have done as well and I'm a 50something old dude. But, I don't suppose I'm really abduction material. I would definitely take the bag off before opening fire, gotta be a responsible neighbor.

Back