• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

RedRose

Give it up already Chappell, you know who took and killed your little girl, so just open your mouth and let the words flow into the nice policeman's ear. You will feel so much better.

Birmingham, AL -- Sept. 9, 1999 -- The mother of Peggy Chappell should go to prison for refusing to help authorities find her killer, a prosecutor has said.

Katie Chappell knows the man who coaxed her little blue-eyed girl into his van on Thanksgiving Day six years ago, and knows why he took her, said Assistant District Attorney Mike Anderton. She even knows, he said, that the man had taken Peggy before.

"She's made the statement...'He'd always brought her (Peggy) back before,'" Anderton said. "I don't know if she's trying to cover up for someone else or herself. But she's kept quiet for six years and refused to cooperate."

Peggy was last seen alive getting into a van or Chevy Blazer with a man. Her nude body was found the next day, wrapped in a beach towel and stuffed inside a garbage can. Her skull was smashed. Her throat was cut, and her back, arms, left buttock and legs were battered.

Authorities have long pleaded with Chappell to tell them what she knows, but Chappell pleaded guilty to hindering prosecution and did not say what she knows, if anything, about one of the city's most notorious child murders.

"I think she belongs in jail," Anderton said. "We've still got a killer wandering around out there who could easily pick up another child."

Chappell, whose statements to police have changed over the years, still maintains her innocence. She pleaded guilty, her attorney said, only because she felt it was in her best interest to do so.

"She didn't want to face a possible jail sentence," he said. "I think the chances are very good she'll get probation."

Chappell entered the guilty plea without cutting any deal, which means when she will be sentenced without an assurance of her freedom. The judge, however, told Chappell that if he doesn't give her probation he will allow her to withdraw her guilty plea.

Had the case gone to trail, Anderton said he would have presented witnesses who would testify that Chappell spoke to the man who put Peggy in his vehicle and that she was nearby when the vehicle left.

"She made statements to police indicating she saw the guy pick Peggy up," Anderton said, "She has also said she knew the tag number but that it wouldn't benefit her to tell anybody."

But her attorney said there would have been a lot of conflicting testimony and holes in the prosecution's case.

Either way, Chappell's plea doesn't answer the question of who killed Peggy and why. Police say the investigation is still active and authorities hope her plea might eventually yield more information.

"At least she's taken responsibility for what she's done," Anderton said. "At this point, I would love for her to give us the information she's got."

Authorities said they are confident the truth will surface eventually and the killer will be caught. "Something is going to happen and that jerk is going to make a mistake," Anderton said.

UPDATE

Nov. 3, 2000 -- Katie Chappell was sentenced to prison for three years and will serve five years of probation after her release.

In 1994 authorities charged Chappell with hindering prosecution. She pleaded guilty to the crime in 1999.

She was sentenced to 10 years in prison but Circuit Judge James Garrett reduced the term to five years of probation on the condition that she cooperate fully with police to find the killer. Chappell talked twice to police and FBI investigators after her plea.

Last spring, Prosecutor Mike Anderton told Garrett that Chappell was not cooperating and asked the judge to revoke her probation.

In September, Garrett said Chappell violated her probation and sent her to county jail. The judge then revoked her probation after testimony from a detective handling the case.

Sgt. John Ennis told the judge that he met with Chappell and when he attempted to talk to her, she invoked her right to have her lawyer present. Under state law, Ennis was obligated to end the meeting.

Garrett issued a split sentence -- Chappell will spend three years in prison and serve five years of probation after that. However, Garrett will maintain jurisdiction over the case and consider any changes in circumstances.

Anderton said Chappell's trip to prison does not close the case. He said authorities continue to work on various leads.

"This is a sad chapter...when a woman with a child will not help the police catch the killer of her child," Anderton said. "I hesitate to use the word mother because I don't think that a mother will act like she's acting."

"I hesitate to use the word mother because I don't think that a mother will act like she's acting."
That is exactly tight

i could never in a million years understand a woman who knows who took her baby and wont tell police...thats just unfathomable to me..

sicko

maybe it was a boyfriend and she "loves" him too much to turn him in. Just sick! Or maybe she has something to do with it. How terrible

Why isn't she also charged with obstruction of justice? They should just pile it on until she decides she might as well tell the truth because she's going to do a lot of jail time in any case.

I've read this before and come back to it again. I just cant believe that a mother would do this. It is so weird and unbelievable that she would do time in prison rather than say what she knew about the person who fucking MURDERED her precious little daughter. My guess is that it was someone related to her. Like her dad or her brother.

"He always brought her back before." So, this is definitely someone she knows and who is trusted with her daughter; I'm betting a very close family member is involved. Surely, DNA testing was done... forensics? Shouldn't she be charged with accessory to the crime since she clearly knows the killer and is protecting him. If I were a judge, I wouldn't give the woman probation on a murder case... that's just insane!

This "mother" commited the ultimate crime against her daughter. She let her little one go with this killer on more than one occasion. What was he doing with her on those occassions? After this man killed her daughter she refused to seek justice for her. This woman is a complete failure as a mother and as a human being.

This is a picture of little Peggy. I cannot find her mother's mug or really anything on the murder or the resulting arrest etc...

13d77396.jpg

The really sickening thing is not only did her daughter get murdered. Her not cooperating will allow the shit-stain to go on to hurt and murder more little girls.

What a disgusting woman. When they catch the excuse for a human that murdered Peggy, they should both fry for it.

I'm wondering if she didn't do this herself. She could have started out intending to frame someone in particular--the bio dad, etc, and thus made the comment about how "he" always brought her back before a split second before realizing or discovering "he" had an alibi? And from that point, maybe just stupidity took over. Or else she was in cahoots with someone while murdering her--either had a boyfriend/lover who helped her abuse her and would be afraid of being found guilty if she turned him in, or is getting threatened by him.

I think the most likely answer is that she had an active hand in it though. I didn't see anything about any obvious sexual assault, but we all know women can be deviously perverted too, and without the presence of sperm, even signs of sexual assault would not preclude her being the murderer. Hell, even WITH the presence of sperm--she could have been pimping little Peggy out, or doing who knows what with the child.

As a mother I can say that short of an assailant holding a weapon to a remaining child's throat at all times, there would be NOTHING holding me back from siccing the police on any bastard I knew harmed my child. Unless i was afraid that justice would not be done, and then I kill the motherfucker myself. Then I may hem and haw and not give up the name--because revenge for such an act would be an all-consuming desire for me.

This story is just strange, and I still think she is the main killer simply because she's maintained silence for SO long. If she was scared, the time in prison would have thawed out those fears. If she was in "love" with the perp, the time in prison would have probably dimmed those feelings too. The comments about someone she knows and who supposedly had the girl before could very well have been only an aborted attempt at a frame job.

She is a disgrace... She is in no way a mother.... I wonder why she is keeping it such a secret.... There is definitely more to the story. I am so curious as to what would make a so called mother not give information she has over to the police to catch her childs murderer. Maybe she asked for this. Perhaps she set it up so that this would happen??? OH my head hurts trying to understand....

I'm wondering if she didn't do this herself. She could have started out intending to frame someone in particular--the bio dad, etc, and thus made the comment about how "he" always brought her back before a split second before realizing or discovering "he" had an alibi? And from that point, maybe just stupidity took over. Or else she was in cahoots with someone while murdering her--either had a boyfriend/lover who helped her abuse her and would be afraid of being found guilty if she turned him in, or is getting threatened by him.

I think the most likely answer is that she had an active hand in it though. I didn't see anything about any obvious sexual assault, but we all know women can be deviously perverted too, and without the presence of sperm, even signs of sexual assault would not preclude her being the murderer. Hell, even WITH the presence of sperm--she could have been pimping little Peggy out, or doing who knows what with the child.

As a mother I can say that short of an assailant holding a weapon to a remaining child's throat at all times, there would be NOTHING holding me back from siccing the police on any bastard I knew harmed my child. Unless i was afraid that justice would not be done, and then I kill the motherfucker myself. Then I may hem and haw and not give up the name--because revenge for such an act would be an all-consuming desire for me.

This story is just strange, and I still think she is the main killer simply because she's maintained silence for SO long. If she was scared, the time in prison would have thawed out those fears. If she was in "love" with the perp, the time in prison would have probably dimmed those feelings too. The comments about someone she knows and who supposedly had the girl before could very well have been only an aborted attempt at a frame job.

I thought about this too but the article mentioned there were witnesses that saw her get into a van with a man.

Maybe the truth is worse than most can imagine, so she feels she's better off keeping her lying mouth shut. I don't think she's necessarily protecting the man, she's protecting herself from more charges and a longer sentence, would be nice if big bad Bertha beat it out of her in jail

Back