• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
whisper, you seem to be pretty up on the Karla case. i just saw that "Watching Karla Homolka" forum for the first time, and saw this thread, with pics:

http://watchingkarlahomolka.yuku.com/topic/810/t/August-2005.html

does this seem authentic to you? it would definitely be a good way to alter her appearance.
This case really caught me b/c I lived in St.Catherines
The church parking lot where she was grabbed was connected to our backyard
With a hedge to seperate it and like a small door cut out where a gate was for awhile then it was taken down
but her shoe ended up in the back yard
I havent been back to that house in yrs but my god parents still live there
I just finally got up the nerve to read the Bio that the 2 court reporters wrote last yr

This case really caught me b/c I lived in St.Catherines
The church parking lot where she was grabbed was connected to our backyard
With a hedge to seperate it and like a small door cut out where a gate was for awhile then it was taken down
but her shoe ended up in the back yard
I havent been back to that house in yrs but my god parents still live there
I just finally got up the nerve to read the Bio that the 2 court reporters wrote last yr

did you look at the pics at the link? do you believe that's Karla?

i've been very interested in the case for years, but never saw that forum before. here... it COULD be her... but it looks much BETTER than her... if you know what i mean

Attachments

• karla.jpg
    karla.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 126
whisper, you seem to be pretty up on the Karla case. i just saw that "Watching Karla Homolka" forum for the first time, and saw this thread, with pics:

http://watchingkarlahomolka.yuku.com/topic/810/t/August-2005.html

does this seem authentic to you? it would definitely be a good way to alter her appearance.
Those pics are with the guy that hired her when she left prison
He owned a Rona(same as Home Depot) and has small kids
So shes not allowed around small kids and he planted cameras all over and left them with her then tried to sell the pics
Then he turned the tapes and pics over to police to try and have her put back in and the chain that owns Rona took his store away from him

Yeah thats Karla and I cant remember the guys name but he was actually charged with something and I cant remember what
He lost his store

I'm from Ontario so have read and seen various things about this case, including the Karla movie. She is certainly not a "battered woman", many people believe she fits the profile of a psychopath. So does Bernardo.

It doesn't matter how many times someone abuses you, you don't simply turn into a sadistic murderer. She should not have been released.

I remember this one documentary about the case, and it said she was obsessed with Disney and liked to write cutesy notes with little hearts and such. Apparently her cell was filled with Disney crap. Creepy.

I have never seen the movie partly by choice
It took yrs for me to read the book
b/c of where I lived in connection to Kristens abduction
Really freaked me out and more so b/c I listened to rumors of course being in that neighborhood and 3/4 werent true at all

This bill was rushed through fast but it will be reworked in the fall when they go back
This was only drafted so fast and passed so quickly(when they are normally on summer break) b/c they wanted to make sure the cunt couldnt attempt a pardon!!

Senate passes bill targeting Homolka, others eyeing pardons
The Senate passed third reading of Bill C-23 Monday night, making it more difficult for repeat offenders convicted of serious crimes -- including sex offences and first and second-degree murder -- to obtain pardons after they've completed their sentences.
Just hours before the vote in the upper chamber, Sen. Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu explained in Montreal that the bill would stop Karla Homolka and others convicted of serious crimes from obtaining pardons.

The bill passed "with relative ease" around 7 p.m., confirmed Carl Dholandas, a policy adviser in Boisvenu's office. He said the bill could receive royal assent as soon as this morning.
"I'm always happy when we don't forget victims of crime. They always ask why the government forgets what has happened so rapidly. We need balance between being there for the victim and giving the criminal a chance for rehabilitation," Boisvenu said shortly after the bill was passed.

"It will have more credibility in the face of Canada. It will not be negative for our justice system," he said.
The bill imposes a variety of restrictions on how pardons for criminal offences are granted and gives much more discretionary power to the National Parole Board -- while featuring a ban on the granting of any pardons that would or could "bring the administration of justice into disrepute."
The key deadline was July 5, Boisvenu added -- when, he said, in the absence of passage and the bill taking effect, Homolka could qualify for a pardon.

Elements of the original bill dealing with blanket denial of pardons for repeat offenders in the most serious cases had been dropped during a rushed House of Commons compromise process, in order to meet the Homolka deadline.

These will be resurrected after the summer break, Boisvenu vowed: "We will be following through on our commitment ... to implement the remaining reforms" next fall, he said.

Boisvenu added that he personally wants sexual predators to have no possibility of any pardon after two such convictions.

In the early 1990s, Homolka obtained a plea-bargain on manslaughter charges under which she was sentenced to 12 years in prison for the sex slayings of two Ontario schoolgirls. Paul Bernardo, then her husband, was convicted of first-degree murder in both deaths. He remains behind bars.

The legislation was introduced on a rush basis last month, following revelations that former hockey coach Graham James, a convicted sex offender, had received a pardon three years ago.

"The pardons approval rate suggests that the National Parole Board interprets the Criminal Records Act as requiring it to grant a pardon in almost all cases," Boisvenu said.

[...]
http://www2.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=cf09fc64-13f4-44cc-be8d-a68991f30b7c

Auction website still offering killers' items
Canadian officials had promised in 2008 to look into MurderAuction issue

A U.S.-based website that allows people to sell letters and art from murderers still offers items linked to notorious Canadian killers despite the correctional service's promise to investigate the situation.

Among the items being offered on MurderAuction.com are signed notes and photos from jailed B.C. killer Clifford Olson and artwork by cult leader Roch Theriault, who was killed in a New Brunswick prison earlier this year. The macabre website also offers a drawing of convicted killer Karla Homolka by an artist.
Items from Robert Pickton, the B.C. pig farmer who was convicted of second-degree murder in the deaths of six women, have also been for sale on the site, confirmed MurderAuction's operator.

The 2008 revelation about the Olson material, reportedly offered for sale on the site by someone who corresponded with the serial killer, prompted the Correctional Service of Canada to investigate how his personal prison items wound up for sale in an online auction.

In a letter, the commissioner of the Correctional Service of Canada, Don Head, told the Canadian Resource Centre for Victims of Crime in 2008 that officials were "investigating the matter fully and will take all necessary actions, within our power to protect the victims' interests and needs."

Who they are
Roch Theriault led a bizarre cult at Burnt River, Ont., between 1977 and 1989. He killed his wife by disemboweling her, and chopped off the hand of another woman.

Clifford Olson is serving 11 concurrent life sentences for the murders of eight girls and three boys in B.C.'s Lower Mainland in the early 1980s.
Karla Homolka was released from a Montreal area prison in July 2005 after serving a 12-year manslaughter term for the deaths of two Ontario girls.
Robert Pickton, a B.C. pig farmer who was convicted of second-degree murder in the deaths of six women.
"If we find we are, somehow, constrained by the law we will identify options for discussion with the minister," said Head.

The victims group, which had written the correctional service about the items, still has not heard back from Head.

Issue surfaces again

Despite the promise of an investigation into the Olson matter, more material from other criminals has shown up on the website, including from Theriault.

In 2009, the Correctional Service of Canada said it was preventing Theriault's work from leaving Dorchester Penitentiary, and Stockwell Day, who was then public safety minister, expressed concern that that killer was benefiting from work done in prison.

But the works are still on the site, along with other items from notorious U.S. killers such as Charles Manson and Ted Bundy.

One of the pieces of artwork reportedly by Theriault is a trace of his hand dated October 2007, when he would have been in prison.
This painting of Karla Holmoka, as seen on MurderAuction, is selling for $179.99 US. There is no verification that these items are from Olson or from Theriault.

One of the items available regarding Olson has a signature, reportedly his, and shows him sitting on a clothes dryer in the common room of the Saskatchewan Penitentiary in early 1994. There were no bids and the auction on the item, which had a starting bid of $35 US, was set to close on Sept. 13.

The person offering that item is listed as being from Georgia. No other details are available about the seller.

Another item being offered on the site, from Bermuda, is a book written by famous FBI profiler John Douglas and signed by Clifford Robert Olson.

It is described on the website as a one-of-a-kind book —read and signed by Olson in prison.

"There is a section in the book were John Douglas talks about Clifford Olson in the book.....very scarce!"

It's available as a straight buyout for $299.

The Homolka item is a dark painting that shows her glowering. It's being offered for sale for $179.99.

There are rulesP.O.V.:
Should Canada's prisons crack down? Is there value in a killer's artwork?
It doesn't appear that there is much the government can do, despite its promises and assurances, to stop prisoners from sending material to people who then sell it on the MurderAuction site.

In an email response to CBC News, a correctional service spokesperson wrote that the department oversees prisoners under the Corrections and Conditional Release Act, which prohibits and restricts material that may include: risk to a person's safety, risk to the security of an institution, interference with an individual correctional plan, display of offensive or discriminatory materials and criminal publications such as hate literature or obscene works.

If the material doesn't violate those rules, prisoners are free to mail letters.

Christa McGregor, a spokesperson for Correctional Service of Canada, said there was no formal board of investigation conducted into the Olson items on the MurderAuction site. She said the warden at the prison where he is housed would have looked into it but there is no formal report.

The service is aware the items exist, McGregor said, and doesn't condone them being posted for sale, but they "don't have jurisdiction when they get on a site."
Sharon Rosenfeldt, the mother of one of the children killed by Olson and president of the Resource Centre for Victims of Crime, said that she was "appalled at this going on."
She wondered how prisoners like Olson could get material out of prison. She has not heard back from the service or the government about the status of the investigation into the release of the materials, despite the promises that were made. Some in her group have talked to MurderAuction about the actual sale of items and were told that the site can legally sell the material.

William Harder, owner of MurderAuction, said prisoners have the right to send out material and his site has the right to be the conduit for sales.
Harder, who has corresponded with Olson in the past, said there are certain things he won’t allow to be sold on the site, including grave dirt and photos of kids, but the material from Pickton and other Canadians has been OK.

"It's not illegal," said Harder, who admitted he gets death threats every couple of months from people upset by the website.

He argued that it wasn't wrong for Canada's killers to make money from items like photos or letters. Some Canadian material has been sold recently, he said.
The Olson material on the site now may be from a few years ago, said Harder, who speculated the killer wants to lay low for a while.

What often happens, Harder said, is collectors will contact the prisoner and correspond with them and then put the material up for sale. Harder has no knowledge of whether money exchanges hands, and said prison guards often play a part in the exchange, knowing it is happening and sometimes helping.
[...]

In Canada, a person cannot profit from a book or a film that is based on anything related to their crime.
29vb241.jpg
This painting of Karla Holmoka, as seen on MurderAuction, is selling for $179.99 US.​

You dont know how tempted I am to buy this painting and somehow turn it into a dart board,sell dart throws 3/$1.00
Turn all the proceeds over to charity or use it for my rescue

[MENTION=1346]whisperswing[/MENTION], that drawing of her is creepy. What's with the dates on it, 2004-2007? Like it took him 3 years to draw it? Or was he a prisoner for those years? I hope nobody buys it, especially YOU!! Darts or not, don't give them the publicity.:nono2:

very creepy but then she is too
I have no clue about dates on pic though

[MENTION=1346]whisperswing[/MENTION], that drawing of her is creepy. What's with the dates on it, 2004-2007? Like it took him 3 years to draw it? Or was he a prisoner for those years? I hope nobody buys it, especially YOU!! Darts or not, don't give them the publicity.:nono2:

[MENTION=1382]Deja[/MENTION] I was sick the other night when you asked me that question and had blank brain
I think thats a watermark for the guys protection
With all the diff pics I do of my cats for contests and stuff I was shocked that a company was using one of Frank and there was nothing at the time I could do
And we tend to use Frank as our Mascot since Princess died
My best friend showed me how to watermark my pics now that I use for diff things

[MENTION=1382]Deja[/MENTION] I was sick the other night when you asked me that question and had blank brain
I think thats a watermark for the guys protection
With all the diff pics I do of my cats for contests and stuff I was shocked that a company was using one of Frank and there was nothing at the time I could do
And we tend to use Frank as our Mascot since Princess died
My best friend showed me how to watermark my pics now that I use for diff things

Got it, [MENTION=1346]whisperswing[/MENTION]! So nobody can use your photo/artwork without your permission, right?

Homolka now a mother of three

TORONTO - She horrified the country with her role in the torture and killing of Ontario school girls two decades ago, now she has three children of her own.

Years after her case gripped the country, Karla Homolka has been found living in the Caribbean under a different name with a husband and three young children.

The details of her life after 12 years in prison are detailed in an 46-page ebook by journalist Paula Todd, titled "Finding Karla."

"No matter how much we might want to forget Karla Homolka, she never really goes away, she hovers in any courtroom, if you think about it, where somebody is on trial for any kind of child abuse," Todd told The Canadian Press in an interview.

"We needed these answers."

In the early 1990s, Homolka and her then-husband, Paul Bernardo, were convicted of crimes related to the rape and murder of two schoolgirls, Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy.

While Bernardo went on to be sentenced to life in prison, Homolka struck a deal with prosecutors in 1993 to serve 12 years in prison for manslaughter.

She had told investigators earlier that Bernardo abused her and made her a reluctant accomplice to the killings. Videotapes later surfaced, however, showing Homolka had a far more active role in the murders than she had claimed.

"The thing about Karla Homolka, and the reason she persists in Canadians' minds is that she fooled everybody," said Todd. "While I was in discussions with her, I was in conflict. Because on the one hand she appeared to be a really good mother...but I don't think anybody is ever going to believe Homolka."

Little has been known about Homolka's life since she was released from prison in 2005.

For Todd, that lack of information drove her to figure out what had become of the notorious killer ever since she walked free.

Online research for a book about the life of released criminals led her to blog reports of Homolka teaching children in the Caribbean — reports Todd later found were false, but they were a starting point for a deeper search.

After mining the Internet for any scrap of information she could find, Todd decided to follow an obscure lead that led her to the island of Guadeloupe in May.

"The reason I went is because I think it was in the public interest for people to know what had happened to what is widely considered a huge police bungle," she said.

Once there, Todd spent days roving the island until she tracked her down.

When she appeared on Homolka's doorstep unannounced, a day after the convicted killer's forty-second birthday, Todd was allowed inside and spent a tense hour in the apartment.

"The tension started from the moment I realized I had actually found her, and it continued like a tight, tight string, all the way through until I left about an hour later," Todd said of the experience.

"Canadians are worried that she's gone on to repeat the horror. I can't say for sure what she's doing, but I can tell Canadians that she seems to have made a life somewhere else, she has a family and she's still living in confinement."

The confinement refers to what appears to be the closed life Homolka now lives.

"She said to me, 'What makes you think I feel safe?'...She said to me nobody cares about me, people only care about me in a negative way," Todd recalled.

"She knows that Canadians and the world continue to despise her for what she did."

While Homolka didn't appear to display any remorse, or indicate that she was living in any sort of emotional turmoil, Todd said it was made clear that the woman now living under the name Leanne Bordelais didn't want to talk about the past.

"Even though she doesn't want to talk about her life — she hates journalists and she told me that...I thought it was interesting that I was allowed to observe."

Those observations included a tidy, clean home, a seemingly harmonious relationship with her husband and a healthy relationship with her three children, one of whom Homolka even breastfed while Todd was in the room.

"She presented as a very good mother, but who knows. I have no reason to believe that those kids are not well cared for."

It is in the hopes of keeping those children happy that Todd said she would not reveal Homolka's exact address, nor publish the names of her children.

"Do I have warm feelings towards her? Absolutely not," Todd emphasized. "I was completely neutral. There's so much opinion about this, it's so caustic and it's so painful that I didn't want to get in the way of reporting to Canadians."

Todd's ebook is published by the Canadian Writers Group and is available on Kindle Singles, Kobo, iBooks and Nook for $2.99.

Her experience tracking down and meeting with Homolka will later be included as part of her upcoming book, "Inside Out
[...]
http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/ebook-says-homolka-now-a-mother-of-three

Dammit! don't make me open this can! it boils my blood. Fuck Canadian justice. then again the US is pretty stoopid. I think we need Muslim judges.

16hkmbq.jpg

Going through boxs packed away in upper pantry in bathroom and found this I had wrapped and put away so it didnt get ruined
When Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffey were murdered but Piss Ant Paul and Killer Karla hadnt been arrested yet
These were sold in this area since its so close to raise awarness and money to help find the killers​

I know I posted this in Chit Chat I didnt think
I shouldve just posted here (very tired lately)
Anyways I find it so ironic how they choose the teddy bear as the symbol because Karla gave them teddy bears to comfort/hold them while they were murdered
this was done up before they were arrested and shit came out

Last edited:
Wedding bells for Paul Bernardo?
Schoolgirl sex killer Paul Bernardo is serving an indeterminate prison sentence, but his bride-to-be reportedly thinks he is innocent
Sex killer Paul Bernardo is serving an indeterminate sentence for the slayings of two schoolgirls, a dozen rapes and more than two dozen other sex offenses — but there are still women who reportedly want to marry him.

The latest is reported to be a 30-year-old university graduate from London, Ont., who began corresponding with him last fall,
[...]
Corrections Canada declines to comment on individual cases.

Tim Danson, a lawyer for the families of murdered schoolgirls has plenty to say.

“He should not be given any privileges,” Danson told
[...]
He also said the woman who considers herself to be Bernardo’s fiancée needs plenty of help.

“People close to her have to reach out to her and save her from herself,”
[...]
“Just the thought of it is disturbing.”

Danson said he highly doubts Bernardo will ever get out of prison.

Still, there are plenty of women who struggle to make contact with him through letters.

One website for prisoners’ families features a hot discussion on whether it’s right to try to make contact with Bernardo.

“I write to Paul all the time, I send him cards and no I dont have a fetish for concrete!,” a woman who identified herself as “shoes” wrote. “I have read many books on his crimes and for some reason i hold compassion for him. Its deep in my bones and i cant let it go.”
[...]
who identified herself as “brandy99,” wrote that she can see a difference between Bernardo the man and Bernardo the criminal.

“His crimes arent what intriques me it’s him,” she wrote.

In a report published on Thursday,
[...]
does not name the 30-year-old bride-to-be. It says that even her family doesn’t believe the ceremony behind bars will ever take place.
[...]
the couple first met last fall after she wrote him.
[...]
says that his fiancée believes he is innocent even though he made videos of his victims in captivity.

“He has convinced her that he didn’t do this (rapes or murders),” her father
[...]
Danson said Bernardo’s trial left no doubt that he is a sadistic psychopath.

“That’s well beyond the pale, given what was proven at trial and on the videotapes,”
[...]
says the bride-to-be has a tattoo on her ankle that says “Paul’s girl.”
[...]
also says the engagement has caused tensions within her family.

If the marriage did take place, Corrections Canada could determine is she would be allowed to meet with her behind bars.

Prisoners are permitted private visits of up to 72 hours duration once every two months. A former Millhaven inmate told
[..]
said that prisoners often are able to increase that visiting time in swaps with other inmates.

Bernardo made the news last summer, Steven Blaney, the federal minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, said he would not be enjoying a transfer from ancient Kingston Penitentiary to a more comfortable medium security prison.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/07/03/paul_bernardo_planning_prison_wedding_report.html

o_O No one with an ounce of sanity could seriously question Paul Bernardo's guilt... That woman sounds batshit crazy.

I remember when this trial was happening. I was interning for a news radio station in Buffalo and we were covering the story. I was the guy writing the copy to be read on air and editing the sound bites. I became really fascinated with this case then, and still am.

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread as of yet, but I'm putting it out there. "Invisible Darkness" by Stephen Williams is an excellent read on this case for anyone interested.

The prison system is given a big ol FUCK YOU to the vicitms and their family. They're not only going to let him marry this dumb bitch, they're also going to let him live and fuck her for 3 or more days every 2 months.

She is going to get pregnant, and probably live off welfare.

Just. Fucking. Brilliant.

I remember when this trial was happening. I was interning for a news radio station in Buffalo and we were covering the story. I was the guy writing the copy to be read on air and editing the sound bites. I became really fascinated with this case then, and still am.

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread as of yet, but I'm putting it out there. "Invisible Darkness" by Stephen Williams is an excellent read on this case for anyone interested.
I was living at my godparents in St,Catherines when this happened
Kristens shoe ended up in our back yard because the parking lot everyone cut through was only separated by a hedge with a spot cut out for a gate
Creepy knowing they were that close to my kids or me even
my godfather I think is the one that hung her shoe on the sign in the parking lot not knowing what a huge clue that was at the time but who would ever think that kinda shit was happening

this reporter is my fave I followed her all through Bernardo & Homolka
and Jeffrey Baldwin
as well as the Shafia honor killings here

Blatchford: Reviving the Paul Bernardo story is in the public’s interest

It’s the story that just won’t go away, and more’s the pity.
[...]
it’s been the convicted felon Karla Homolka who has unpleasantly floated to the surface of public consciousness now and then — now with the news of her marriage (to the brother of her Montreal prison lawyer, o sweet justice!), then that she was a mother, most recently two years ago when journalist Paula Todd tracked her down to the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe, where she lives with her hubby and their three youngsters.

But this time it’s Homolka’s ex, the serial killer and rapist Paul Bernardo, who made news this week when the Toronto Sun reported that he was planning to marry, his new bride a 30-year-old London,
[...]
Mercifully, the paper didn’t identify her by name, it appears out of deference to her alleged mental fragility.

She allegedly has told friends that the man she’s been writing to for months is a kind, Christian fellow she believes to be innocent and that she has “wedding bands,” as well as a jaunty ankle tattoo that reads “Paul’s girl.”

For the uninitiated, Bernardo and Homolka formed a girl killing machine back in the early 1990s.
[...]
started off with Homolka’s little sister, Tammy (she was drugged and sexually assaulted by the pair in the Homolka family home, then choked to death on her own vomit), before moving onto complete strangers (Burlington’s Leslie Mahaffy, who was just 14, and Kristen French, whom the pair kidnapped off the street in St. Catharines, Ont.).

Homolka struck a controversial plea bargain and was sentenced to 12 years for her role in the three deaths; two years later
[...]
Bernardo went on trial for two counts of first-degree murder.

He was convicted, later pleaded guilty to being the Scarborough Rapist, and was declared a dangerous offender.

That means, on top of his life sentence (with no parole for 25 years), Bernardo has also been given an indeterminate sentence.
[...]
chances of him ever getting out of prison — he’s theoretically eligible for day parole next year and full parole in 2018 — are pretty slim, which begs the question, is there a purpose, beyond the salacious aspect, of reviving this long, sad, sorry story?
[...]
never had many good guys (the notable exceptions, the Mahaffy and French families) and almost no redemptive value, and things haven’t improved in the years since.

Yet the answer is still probably, yes.
[..]
it is instructive to remember that if Bernardo were to apply for any form of parole, the state will not have in its arsenal what lawyers always call “the best evidence” against him.
[...]
52 exhibits’ worth, including the notorious videotapes Bernardo and Homolka made of their sex assaults — was destroyed in December of 2001, by judge’s order, at a secret burning ceremony.
[...]
ceremony was attended only by police, prosecutors and the victims’ families, and the only reason the public ever learned of it was that Donna French, Kristen’s mother, wanted the many Canadians who had supported the families to know they now had some measure of peace, that the evidence of their daughter’s degradation was no more.

What is left of the evidence is a written document with, on one side, a transcript of what was said on the videos and, on the other, a frame-by-frame description of what the videos
[...]
The secret incineration was an astonishing breach of the notion that justice in this country is meant to be conducted in public, and it was absolutely typical of how the state comported itself throughout.

Secondly, the
[...]
story offers a stark reminder of the vacuousness or wilful blindness of some women.
[...]
one who has been writing Bernardo is repeatedly described by the paper as university-educated and “brilliant but troubled.” She reportedly lost a lover recently, and a job. She would do well to understand that most of the women who encountered her new boyfriend lost much more.
[...]
let us remember that as improbable as it may be that Bernardo could actually find someone to marry, it appears there would be no automatic prohibition on it, or even on the conjugal visits that would naturally follow.

Fifteen years ago, I covered the faint-hope hearing of a convicted killer named Amina Chaudhary. She had been found guilty of first-degree murder in the strangulation death of an eight-year-old boy in 1982. The little boy, Rajesh Gupta, was the beloved nephew of a lover who had dared to jilt her.
[....]
that she was seeking early parole, unsuccessfully as it turned out, was evidence of what a prison psychologist called Chaudhary’s well-honed “sense of entitlement.”

But what utterly beggared belief was that while in the hoosegow, she had met and married another convicted killer (he, rank amateur, was convicted only of second-degree murder, and was paroled in 1998) and together, while behind bars, they enjoyed the “private family visiting program.”
[...]
Chaudhary got pregnant — no fewer than three times — and gave birth in 1993, 1995 and 1997.

Thus is it genuinely in the public interest that Canadians know that Bernardo has found himself another girl, that there may or may not be wedding plans a-foot, and that if they were to wed, it’s not a given they wouldn’t get conjugal visits.
[...]
Chaudhary once reminisced fondly while on the witness stand, “We were two people doing life sentences…”

So very little is impossible in Canada.
http://www.canada.com/news/Blatchfo...ardo+story+public+interest/9998241/story.html

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/parole-denied-for-paul-bernardo-after-25-years-1.4137358
BATH, Ont. -- Serial rapist and killer Paul Bernardo pleaded unsuccessfully for a second chance on Wednesday, arguing low self-esteem drove him to commit the sexually twisted crimes he now rues and that he no longer poses any threat to the public.

Bernardo made his pitch for parole before a two-member panel, which also heard impassioned pleas from the parents of two of his murder victims that he be kept behind bars.

"I'm a very flawed person. I know I'm not perfect," Bernardo told the Parole Board of Canada panel. "What I did was so dreadful. I hurt a lot of people. I cry all the time."

At the same time, the now 54-year-old Bernardo was adamant he has never been violent since his arrest, and would never reoffend if released.

"I'm so nice to everybody," he said. "Everybody is scared but there is no reason to be scared."

The panel did not buy his arguments. They took about 30 minutes to turn Bernardo down for both day and full parole. Their written reasons are expected in a few weeks.

Dubbed the "Scarborough Rapist," Bernardo could make another bid for release in two years. He has already spent 25 years of his life sentence in prison -- most in solitary.
[....]
Members of the media and other observers watched the highly anticipated proceeding -- Bernardo's first attempt at parole -- via videolink from nearby Bath Institution.

Bernardo, dressed in a blue T-shirt, slouched in his chair and listened with little obvious emotion, although he became animated on occasion as he answered questions. At one point, he dabbed at his eyes with a hastily proffered tissue while talking about his father.

While his parole officer said Bernardo had made minimal gains during his time behind bars, the lifer portrayed himself as someone whose self-esteem was damaged as a child by a speech impediment. He said he felt increasingly inadequate, adding he was afraid to interact with people.

Social anxiety, he said, became sexual -- he fretted constantly about being unable to perform.

"The more insecure I felt, the more I tried to control," he said. "My self-esteem would get better that way."

Bernardo also tortured and killed Kristen French, 15, of St. Catharines, Ont., in April 1992 after keeping her captive for three days. Kristen's mother, Donna French, argued Bernardo should never see freedom again.

"How does one describe such immeasurable pain so as to give even the slightest understanding of the overwhelming sadness, the emptiness, and pain we feel even after 26 years of dealing with our loss?" French said.

French noted the law was changed after Bernardo's incarceration to allow for consecutive periods of parole ineligibility.

Bernardo, who ultimately admitted raping 14 other women, was also convicted of manslaughter in the December 1990 death of Homolka's younger sister, Tammy. The 15-year-old girl died after the pair drugged and sexually assaulted her.

Homolka, who served 12 years until 2005 after pleading guilty to manslaughter, later said she wanted Bernardo to have Tammy's virginity as a Christmas present.

Tammy's death left him shattered, exacerbated his low self-esteem, and led to his increasingly savage attacks on women and girls, Bernardo said.

"I hurt a lot of people," he said. "I absolutely did and this is why I cry."

"Would you say you used women as objects?" Suzanne Poirier, one of the two parole board members hearing the case, asked him at one point.

"Back then, absolutely," he responded.

At times, Bernardo rambled as he responded to board questions. At other times, he displayed a keen grasp of psychiatric terminology. He denied being a psychopath, although he admitted he felt nothing for his victims at the time.

He was more concerned with his own feelings, he said, and that meant asserting power and control to give his fragile ego a boost. He no longer needs to do that or can control his urges, he said.

Tim Danson, a lawyer who speaks for the French and Mahaffy families, said Bernardo is indeed a psychopath incapable of empathy. Nor has the inmate ever really apologized to the families for his crimes, Danson said.

One of Bernardo's surviving victims described how she was walking home on an evening in May 1988 when he attacked her from behind, dragged her into bushes and raped her. The result has been emotional devastation from which she has never recovered, she said.

"I really became a shell of a person," she said. "He should never be considered for any freedom for the rest of his life."

Bernardo's lawyer, Fergus (Chip) O'Connor, maintained his client has aged into a low-risk demographic when it comes to sexual offences. While the perspective of victims must be heard, he said their views could not be determinative.

Bernardo's parents, who didn't attend the hearing, visit him in prison and have offered help if he is released, O'Connor added.

Parole officer Meagan Smith told the hearing that Bernardo had "low integration potential." Though low risk for violence in general, his risk increases when it comes to intimate partners, she said.

..."arguing low self-esteem drove him to commit the sexually twisted crimes he now rues and that he no longer poses any threat to the public."

My low self-esteem just led to eating disorders...

Back