• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

The security alarm at Seminole Heights Baptist Church started ringing around 12:40 a.m. Thursday.

Alerted at his home nearby, Pastor Brant Adams, 40, rolled out of bed, grabbed his handgun and jumped into his pickup truck.

Minutes later, Adams and a deacon, Jack Young, crept into the church at 801 E Hillsborough Ave. The lights were on inside.

Adams spotted a man he didn’t know going through a desk in one of the church offices.

The man noticed him and started to move forward, so Adams drew his gun and screamed at him to get on the ground. The man quickly complied. The pastor approached and stood a few feet away.

“I said, ‘Dude, what are you doing?’” Adams told the Tampa Bay Times.

Young called Tampa police and Adams held the suspect at gunpoint until officers arrived just after 1 a.m.

“He wasn’t looking for a fight, which I thank the Lord for,” Adams said.

Police later identified the man as Miguel Otero-Rivera, 49, of Tampa. He was arrested and charged with burglary of an unoccupied structure, grand theft, possession of burglary tools, possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was booked at the Orient Road Jail and was being held on $8,500 bail Thursday.

Otero-Rivera broke into the church by smashing a window with a brick, Adams said, then he kicked down several doors inside. He cut his back climbing in so blood was spattered through the building. He received medical treatment.

Repairs to the damage could cost the church thousands of dollars, Adams said.

He believes Otero-Rivera was looking for cash. Police said he tried to snatch a church laptop.

Back