• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Dakota

FORUM BITCH / Beloved Cunt
Bold Member!
Teen Accused Of Gunning Down Mother, Father, Younger Siblings

It was a “horrificâ€￾ crime scene that confronted deputies Saturday night: Pastor Greg Griego, his wife, Sarah, and their three youngest children lay dead — fatally shot multiple times with an assault rifle and other weapons — at their South Valley home.

The suspect in custody is the couple’s 15-year-old son, Nehemiah Griego, who authorities believe shot and killed his mother, young brother and two young sisters about 1 a.m. Saturday, and then lay in wait for five hours before ambushing his father when he came home.
[...]

Nehemiah Griego is now in the Bernalillo County Juvenile Detention Center, charged with two open counts of murder and three counts of child abuse resulting in death.

The couple had 10 children, but only the three youngest and Nehemiah were at home during the shootings.

The sheriff’s office has identified the victims as Greg Griego, 51, a former pastor at Calvary Chapel, as well as at the Metropolitan Detention Center; his wife, Sarah Griego, 40, a stay-at-home mom who home schooled their children; Zephania Griego, 9; Jael Griego, 5; and Angelina Griego, 2.
[...]

The Journal has learned that sheriff’s investigators found multiple weapons at the Griegos’ home, including an AR-15 semiautomatic assault-style rifle and a .22 caliber pistol. It appears Nehemiah used both weapons in the slayings, although it was not immediately clear which guns he allegedly used to kill which of his family members.

The Journal also has learned more details about what detectives believe unfolded at the Griegos’ home in the small hours of Saturday morning. They include:

Nehemiah had a minor disagreement with his mother on Friday night. He waited for her to go to sleep in her bedroom. About 1 a.m. Saturday, he went into his mother’s room and shot her multiple times.

His 9-year-old brother was sleeping in the bed, too, and as he woke up, Nehemiah told the youngster he had just killed their mother. He then shot his brother multiple times.

In a nearby room, Nehemiah’s young sisters began to scream and cry. He walked across the hall and into their room, then opened fire, shooting them both multiple times.

Nehemiah next went downstairs and waited several hours for his father to come home. His father arrived about 6 a.m., and Nehemiah shot him multiple times.

After the killings, Nehemiah put the AR-15 rifle and a shotgun, both of which were loaded, into the family’s van and drove away.

His plan was to head for the nearest Walmart. Once there, he planned to kill several people and wait for police to arrive. Ultimately, he planned to spark a gunfight with law enforcement and die in a hail of bullets.

But first he called a friend who convinced him to meet at Calvary Chapel.

Law enforcement are still trying to piece together what happened over the next 12 hours. But it appears that Nehemiah spent much of that time at the mega church on Osuna.

Eventually Nehemiah told a church security guard, who was a retired police officer, that someone had killed his family at their South Valley home.

The security guard and Nehemiah drove to the home. The guard looked inside, saw Greg Griego dead on the floor and called 911. It was about 9 p.m.

Authorities believe Nehemiah’s parents owned the guns. The weapons had been stored in a closet, not in a gun safe.

They also believe Nehemiah may have had violent fantasies including killing and murder-suicide scenarios for much of his life.
[...]

Neighbor Peter Gomez said he saw the boy walk with siblings and his parents through the neighborhood regularly, and he “wore nothing but camouflage stuff.â€￾

Another neighbor said Nehemiah wanted to be a soldier. Although he always wore Army clothing and camouflage, Nehemiah wasn’t allowed to play violent video games, the neighbor said, since the boy’s parents didn’t allow anything “dirty or violentâ€￾ and limited TV watching.
http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2013/01/21/news/five-dead-teen-accused-in-killing-spree.html

The New Mexico teenager accused of fatally shooting his parents and three younger siblings had never been in trouble with the law, according to state officials.

The state’s child welfare agency has no record of any contacts with 15-year-old Nehemiah Griego or his family, spokesman Bob Tafoya said Monday.

A records check by the Department of Children, Youth and Families also indicated the youth "had no involvement with the juvenile justice system whatsoever," Tafoya said.
[...]

Investigators were at the scene Monday but refused to release any more details about the crime. Spokesman Deputy Aaron Williamson did confirm there was no history of any emergency calls to the home in the recent past.

Among the victims was Greg Griego, who had once served as a pastor at one of Albuquerque’s largest Christian churches and was well-known throughout the law enforcement community for his work with Albuquerque firefighters and as a volunteer chaplain who offered spiritual guidance to inmates at the Metropolitan Detention Center.
[...]

Jail Chief Ramon Rustin said Griego was instrumental in the creation of the county jail’s chaplain program and worked to get inmates integrated back into the community.

At Calvary, the Christian church, Griego oversaw the Straight Street program for jail inmates.
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S2902866.shtml?cat=600

One of the only places that Nehemiah left a trail is online where he lied about his age to make a dating profile on a site called MeetOne.

There he wrote that he was 18-years-old and posted a photo of himself in his favorite camouflage fatigues.

'Well I'm a fun loving guy who like [sic] to make people happy I might be shy but I'll open up once you get to know me,' he wrote on the site.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...iego-15-shoots-family-dead-assault-rifle.html

Profile has since been taken down:
20130121-03.jpg

I can't help but feel a great sorrow for this family, including the 15 year old. I can't even find anger in me to hate him, just saddness.

I kinda agree with you [MENTION=1471]AngelFire[/MENTION], I just don't have it within me to scream about how he supposedly wasn't even exposed to all the things (like violent video games, violent movies, etc, etc, etc) that would make him do what he did. I just feel terrible sadness for the world and how it's changing and I don't even know anymore whether it's for the better or for the worse. I just can't tell anymore.

Greg Griego was a longtime pastor, known for helping former and current inmates, as well as troubled youths.
Griego had converted his backyard barn into a halfway house for released prisoners, according to neighbors. He also held services at the county jail’s “God Pod,” where he gave inmates spiritual advice.
Griego was a former gang member, according to an article posted on the Prison Fellowship website.

He is also the brother of former Democratic state Sen. Eric Griego.

“Our family is grieving this terrible tragedy,” the family said in a statement, according to KOAT. “We appreciate the prayers and support we have received and request that the media honor our family’s privacy during this difficult time.”
Griego held several jobs, but lost his position at Calvary church a few months ago and had struggled to find work, said a neighbor, who attends weekly Bible study at the home.
http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2013/01/21/news/father-was-gang-member-turned-pastor.html
I wonder where the money came from for 10 kids and this house. Mix in a bunch of guns and something smells rotten.
p5pVURU.jpg

Last edited:
How could Daddy be helping everybody else and yet not know his own son was crying out for help? the neighbors seemed ot know that Nehemiah needed help!

I kinda agree with you [MENTION=1471]AngelFire[/MENTION], I just don't have it within me to scream about how he supposedly wasn't even exposed to all the things (like violent video games, violent movies, etc, etc, etc) that would make him do what he did. I just feel terrible sadness for the world and how it's changing and I don't even know anymore whether it's for the better or for the worse. I just can't tell anymore.

It's changing for the worse .. :(

It's changing for the worse .. :(

You know, I think I disagree...

THe media shows us EVERYTHING bad & we listen (me too!), there are more of us on this planet, more of us getting info non-stop. Not just the morning paper or evening news- all. the. time.
Our society has changed - less eating Sunday Dinner with the whole family, more people work longer hours & there's no time to sit & teach & listen. So TV & gaming are a popular time filler.

BUT But but but.....we're so much more AWARE. Aware of how this type of child-rearing affects a child, how to combat illnesses, how to help others.

I just think that there is a balance.
There IS evil out there. There is good out there. I think if we see the bad, we need to make a conscious effort to see the good. I can warn my kids of Stranger Danger & also share a heartwarming story I saw in the news with them. You know? I beleive it's a balance & I think it's our job to find it. Individually.
THe more good we find, the more hope is restored in mankind. :)

Something stinks. I'm going to withhold my opinion on this because something just isn't sitting right with me. The boy very well could have a severe mental health issue or just be evil, but I get this niggling feeling there is much, much more to this story. Not that it excuses his actions, especially against his siblings, but maybe there is something that might go further towards explaining this violence.

Either way, it's horribly sad.

He was annoyed with his mother, and so with violent thoughts swirling in his mind, 15-year-old Nehemiah Griego retrieved a .22 caliber rifle from his parents’ closet and systematically started killing his family.
[...]

Nehemiah Griego told police he had been having anger issues and homicidal and suicidal thoughts.

The teen told police “he lost his sense of conscienceâ€￾ after shooting his mother and 9-year-old brother, who lay sleeping beside her in bed.

That’s when he heard his young sisters crying in their bedroom, entered and shot both of them, according to police. And when his father arrived home five hours later, he shot him with an assault rifle, according to the statement of probable cause.
[...]

Rick Zemke, who volunteered with Greg Griego as a chaplain and also attended Calvary, described Nehemiah as quiet and a talented musician.

Zemke said when he saw the Griegos at Calvary church, “it seemed like everyone was well-disciplined,â€￾ but he never noticed anything he would consider “harsh.â€￾

“He was actually a really good kid,â€￾ said William Stuckman, who works on maintenance at Calvary church. “He just liked wearing the camouflage stuff. But at church, he was just a quiet kind of guy. I don’t think anyone would really consider anything in that family going wrong.â€￾

Stuckman said he talked to Nehemiah the night after the shootings.

According to the probable cause document, the teen had gone to the church earlier in the day. Griego told police he wanted to drive to a populated area, shoot people at random and be killed while exchanging gunfire, but instead sent a picture of his deceased mother to his girlfriend. :eek:

He then met his girlfriend at the church, where he told her his family had died in a car crash. The girlfriend’s grandmother was also at the church and began asking questions.

In an interview with the Journal, Stuckman said he was getting off work around 8:30 p.m. Saturday when he saw Nehemiah Griego.

He said, “How’s it going?â€￾ and shook the teen’s hand.

Griego seemed “kind of strange,â€￾ Stuckman said.

“I just knew there was something up with the kid that night because I saw him talking to a few people, and he just seemed kind of weird,â€￾ he said. “You could tell from the expressions that something was troubling him or whatever.â€￾
http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2013/01/22/news/who-is-nehemiah.html

According to the statement Griego also told officers after shooting his family , he reloaded two rifles so "he could drive to a populated area to murder more people."

Sources say Griego went to the South Valley Walmart after investigators say he killed his family. He sat in the parking lot for up to an hour with an AR-15 assault-type rifle and a .22 rifle with a scope, as he contemplated shooting people at the store.
[...]

Griego also told investigators, “he wanted to shoot people at random and eventually be killed while exchanging gunfire with law enforcement.”

Sources say he contemplated doing the same thing at Calvary of Albuquerque in the North Valley.

Neither happened.
[...]

The District Attorney says Griego will be tried as a serious youthful offender, which means he could be sentenced as an adult if convicted of first degree murder.
http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/documents-show-griego-planned-more-extensive-attack

ALBUQUERQUE - A 15-year-old boy has confessed to shooting his parents and three young siblings to death inside their home because he was upset with his mother.
According to the police report, 15-year-old Nehemiah Griego walked into his parents’ bedroom shortly after midnight on Saturday and retrieved a .22 caliber rifle from the closet. His father was not home at the time but his mother, 40-year-old Sara Griego, was sleeping alongside Nehemiah’s 9-year-old brother, Zephania.
Nehemiah took aim and shot his mother in the head as she was sleeping. His brother woke up and did not believe Nehemiah had killed their mother, so Nehemiah told police he lifted her head to show his brother her bloody face. When his brother began crying, Nehemiah shot him in the head as well.
He then walked into the bedroom of his two sisters, 5-year-old Jael and 2-year old Angelina, who were in their beds crying. He then shot them both in the head. Afterwards, he retrieved an*AR-15 and hid in a downstairs bathroom for hours, waiting on his father to arrive home.
When 51-year-old Greg Griego*arrived and walked past the bathroom, Nehemiah stepped out and shot him multiple times.…

This article was written by Morbid for The Dreamin Demon - the Internet's self-appointed buzzkill.

"Read the full Front Page article..."

For at least a week, authorities say, 15-year-old Nehemiah Griego had been planning the attack. After shooting his mother and three siblings in their beds, he ambushed his father as the pastor returned home from an overnight shift at a homeless shelter. Then the teen reloaded the family's rifles.
His plan was to randomly shoot people at a Wal-Mart on Saturday, which happened to be "Guns Across America" day, until he could be killed in a shootout with law enforcement, according to authorities.
He also contemplated killing his 12-year-old girlfriend's parents, Bernalillo County Sheriff Dan Houston said Tuesday.
What authorities know, the sheriff said, was that Griego texted a picture of his dead mother to his girlfriend, then spent much of Saturday with her and her family, authorities said. That evening, he went to the church where his father worked and confessed to killing his parents and three younger siblings, authorities said.

The sheriff said he didn't know if Griego's contact with his girlfriend avoided further bloodshed. But he said she apparently knew what had happened, and officials were investigating whether she should be charged with failing to report the crime.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/23/nehemiah-griego-new-mexico-family-murder_n_2533035.html

Next question..
Considering he was an ex gang member, what were guns doing there?

There aren't any laws saying ex-gang members can't own guns. Unless he was convicted of a crime preventing him from owning a gun, he has just as much right as anyone else to have them. :)

Police in Albuquerque say they're investigating if one of five family members killed had a record that could have barred him from owning the guns allegedly used. Authorities were investigating comments made by friends and colleagues that Pastor Greg Griego had a criminal record and if so, whether he should have been prohibited from owning an assault-style rifle and other guns his son allegedly used to kill him and four other family members last weekend, the Albuquerque Journal reported Tuesday.
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013...-about-guns-used-in-spree/UPI-65281358860619/

Nehemiah Griego had long harbored violent fantasies that included mass killings and murder-suicide scenarios.

More recently, those fantasies started to crystallize into a specific plan to kill his family, his girlfriend’s family and even strangers at a local Walmart, Bernalillo County Sheriff Dan Houston and one of his lead investigators said Tuesday.

According to sheriff’s investigators, the 15-year-old followed through with part of the plan early Saturday, when they say he fatally shot his mother and younger brother in bed, his two young sisters in another room and then waited five hours to ambush his father in the family’s South Valley home.

Nehemiah’s father, local pastor Greg Griego, had been working an overnight shift at the Albuquerque Rescue Mission before returning home around 6 a.m. Saturday, officials said.

Houston said during a news conference Tuesday morning that authorities have “no best judgment on a motive” other than he was “frustrated” with his mother.
[...]

Shortly after he shot his mother while she slept – around 1 a.m. Saturday – Nehemiah texted a picture of his mother’s body to his 12-year-old girlfriend, Houston told reporters. And it appears the girlfriend, who spent much of Saturday after the slayings with Nehemiah, knew he had killed his family even as he told different stories to others.

BCSO Lt. Sid Covington said it appears that Nehemiah had made comments consistent with his plan for at least a week prior to the shootings, but he would not say who the teen had talked to.
[...]

Houston said the girl could face charges, although he did not say what she could be charged with and did not call her a suspect. A BCSO spokesman said later Tuesday that there are no pending charges, and authorities aren’t contemplating any at this point.

Officials said at the news conference that it didn’t appear Nehemiah had any history of mental illness or that he had been taking any kind of medication.
[...]

Covington said Nehemiah shot his father multiple times with an AR-15 assault-style rifle, including at least once in the head.

Officials said the teen was familiar with firearms because his father had taught him to shoot.

After the killings, Nehemiah reloaded the .22 caliber rifle and the AR-15, put them in the family’s van along with several rounds of ammunition and drove away, officials said.

They said he had contemplated killing his girlfriend’s family and then “going and ending this at a Walmart with mass destruction.”

Instead, Nehemiah spent much of Saturday with his girlfriend and her grandmother, officials said. It’s unclear exactly where they were, and Nehemiah on a few occasions left the two and then reconnected with them.
[...]

Covington said during the news conference that Nehemiah told detectives he enjoyed playing video games, including Modern Warfare and Grand Theft Auto. Covington said he didn’t know whether Nehemiah’s parents knew he played those games.

Officials said the two guns used in the killings, as well as two pistol-grip 12-gauge shotguns found in the Griegos’ home, had been purchased legally. It is not clear, however, who bought them.
http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2013/01/23/news/teenager-contemplated-killings-for-some-time.html

Last lines of that article address @TheMorningStar's question:
Houston said that although he has numerous arrests in his past, it does not appear Greg Griego was a convicted felon. A BCSO spokesman said it appears Greg Griego’s arrests were out of state. He could not say what the charges were.

Covington said during the news conference that Nehemiah told detectives he enjoyed playing video games, including Modern Warfare and Grand Theft Auto. Covington said he didn’t know whether Nehemiah’s parents knew he played those games.

What do the games have to do with anything? I am sick and tired of these games being blamed for mental illness in folks that go ape shit, or go on to commit crimes others don’t get. My sons play these games and they are the most non-violent kids I have met ever. The games aren’t to blame, they are just that games. Just like the guns aren’t to blame when people lose their shit and shoot others, it’s the person holding the gun that pulls the trigger. People need to start taking responsibility for their actions instead of looking for ways to point the finger elsewhere.

They are really contemplating charging a 12 year old for not reporting her boyfriends crime? Maybe she was, oh I don't know, scared shitless?? She is only a baby for shits sake.

What do the games have to do with anything?
There is a school of thought that repeated exposure to violence "desensitizes" people to it, affects those with mental illness, glorifies violence, and many other "bad things". I'm not sure it is believed to be the sole source of the problem but I'm sure it is a piece... just like the discussion on access to guns, drug use, and mental health issues are part of the picture. None of it is the whole.

In a teen boy engaged is such a violent undertaking, the questions are pretty normal to be asked.

He has the low ears and short chin like described in the thread about violent criminals.

He has the low ears and short chin like described in the thread about violent criminals.

I want to go look at my cousins' heads now.

Totally off subject - I'd LOVE to read theories on physical traits & how they're linked to heritage AND certain behaviors. I have no idea if there is an actual study for both those things but I'd read it.

They are really contemplating charging a 12 year old for not reporting her boyfriends crime? Maybe she was, oh I don't know, scared shitless?? She is only a baby for shits sake.

I read one article where LE was saying she knew ahead of time and was egging him on, then another article saying he'd planned to kill her too but changed his mind after sending her the pic of his mom. I'm trying to find the link.

A New Mexico teenager pleaded guilty in the shooting deaths of his parents and three young siblings on Friday, nearly three years after authorities say he opened fire at his family's rural home south of Albuquerque.

Nehemiah Griego entered the guilty pleas in state children's court to two counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of his parents and three counts of child abuse resulting in death in the slayings of his three younger siblings — Zephaniah, Jael and Angelina. He was 15 at the time of the January 2013 shooting.

The brief hearing ended more than two and a half years of litigation as Griego received extensive treament from the state, said Griego's attorney Jeffrey Buckels. A weeklong hearing will be held in mid-January to decide whether Griego, who is now 18, will be sentenced as a juvenile or an adult.

"The parties believe that this agreement is the best resolution for Mr. Griego and the State, as well as for the victim's family, which was fully apprised of the agreement in advance of (the) plea hearing," Buckels said in a statement.

Griego's sentencing terms could range from probation to three life sentences plus 30 years if he is sentenced as an adult, Buckels said. If he is sentenced as a juvenile, he would theoretically remain in the custody of the state Children, Youth and Families Department until he is 21, but that will be up to the courts to determine after hearing from investigators, witnesses and psychology experts in January.

Griego's family members did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
http://news.yahoo.com/teen-pleads-guilty-killing-parents-3-younger-siblings-181111241.html

okay I guess its just me-what is wrong with these idiots ears. I need to get back to work and not look at these ears!

Griego's sentencing terms could range from probation to three life sentences plus 30 years if he is sentenced as an adult, Buckels said. If he is sentenced as a juvenile, he would theoretically remain in the custody of the state Children, Youth and Families Department until he is 21

I really and truly hope this fella does not get released when he is 21, that would most certainly be a miscarriage of justice. This kid is not saveable.
[doublepost=1452545284,1445054482][/doublepost]http://news.yahoo.com/judge-decide-sentencing-teen-killed-family-173407738.html

A New Mexico teenager who pleaded guilty to killing his parents and three siblings can be rehabilitated and should not be sentenced as an adult, his public defender argued Monday.

Nehemiah Griego, 18, has made progress at a state psychiatric treatment center, attorney Stephen Taylor said as a weeklong hearing to determine Griego's fate got underway. Investigators, witnesses and psychology experts are expected to take the stand.

Griego was 15 when authorities say he fatally shot his family at their home south of Albuquerque in January 2013. He pleaded guilty in state children's court in October to two counts of second-degree murder and three counts of child abuse resulting in death.

Sheriff's officials said the teen told detectives after the killings that he was angry with his mother and had been having homicidal and suicidal thoughts.

Prosecutors did not deliver opening statements, but some family members sent a letter to the judge and the Albuquerque Journal (http://bit.ly/1nbkZQv ) in support of sentencing Griego as an adult. They expressed concerns about their own safety and that of the public.

"Nehemiah has not expressed any remorse and ... (he) possessed the mental capacity to know right from wrong at the time of the murders and was fully cognizant of his murderous action," the letter says.

Taylor said Griego's father beat him and the abuse likely caused a traumatic brain injury that affected the teen.

Neel Madan, a clinical radiologist and neurologist at Tufts Medical Center, testified that a scan of Griego's brain doesn't prove he suffered traumatic brain injury or hemorrhaging.

However, Madan cautioned that it isn't possible to completely rule out any diagnosis from the MRI alone — including mental illness or even brain injury.

Griego's sentencing terms could range from probation to three life sentences plus 30 years if he is sentenced as an adult, attorneys have said. If he's sentenced as a juvenile, he would theoretically remain in the custody of the state Children, Youth and Families Department until he is 21.

His parents, Greg and Sarah Griego, were well-known throughout the community for more than a decade of ministry work with inmates at the county jail. Greg Griego, an Army veteran, also was a pastor at one of Albuquerque's largest Christian churches and was a volunteer chaplain with the local fire department.

After the killings, authorities alleged that Griego reloaded his parents' two semi-automatic rifles and put them in the family van and planned to gun down Wal-Mart shoppers, though investigators had no information that Griego actually went to a Wal-Mart the day of the shooting.

A security official said Griego spent much of the day at his church after the shooting, wandering the campus as dozens of Sunday school teachers were being trained on how to deal with a shooter.

In the weeks after the killings, family members described the boy as a normal teenager who was close to his family, loved wrestling with his father and brother, and played in the church youth band.

Last edited:
There is something fundamentally wrong about any human being, regardless of age or upbringing, who can shoot his mother in the head and then make his brother look at her blood covered dead face before shooting him in the head as he cried over her. He was able to not just shoot his brother in the head as he cried, but cause him unnecessary anguish on purpose before doing so.

I have an incredibly difficult time believing he can be fixed. He didn't just lash out because he was rebelling, or being abused, or for any other environmental causes. He did this because he enjoyed it. He enjoys killing and tormenting people including his own family.

Hell his own relatives wrote letters expressing how dangerous he is.

Back