• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
2znv0h5.jpg

Jesse Timmendequas confessed to the crime and was sentenced to death in 1996. His sentence was commuted to life in prison without the possibility of parole when New Jersey abolished its death penalty.
da53m.jpg

Megan was raped and strangled to death by a twice-convicted sex offender who lived across the street.​
Megan's mom tries to avoid looking out the bay window of her home
[...]
Across the street sits a tiny memorial park full of pink and yellow lilies and bright red rose bushes. The serene space used to comfort her.
[...]
20 years after the darkest day of her life, she doesn’t see the landscaped grass and blooming flowers when she gazes across the street.

She sees the home that once stood there – the two-story house with white aluminum siding where a twice-convicted sex offender raped and strangled her 7-year-old daughter.

“In my mind’s eye, it’s always there,”
[...]
“Always.”

Megan is Megan Kanka, the tragic
[...]
girl who inspired the law that alerts parents when a sexual predator moves into the neighborhood.

To most of the country, she’s only a name.

To her parents, she’s little Maggie, the sweet-faced girl whose murder turned their lives upside down and has left them emotionally scarred two decades later.

“Maggie is so missed,” Maureen Kanka says,
[...]
“She was a little me. We were so close. I didn’t know if I was going to make it, to be honest with you. I wanted to be dead for a couple years. I wanted to die.”

It was a lazy summer Friday – July 29, 1994.

At about 6:30 p.m., Megan hopped on her bike and went for a ride around her quiet block
[....]
The soon-to-be second-grader had friends living all around the neighborhood.

She’d often stop to pet the neighborhood dogs through backyard fences. Sometimes, she’d come back carrying a handful of flowers for her mother that she had picked from neighbors’ yards.
But this time, Megan never returned
[...]
The Kankas frantically searched the neighborhood and then called cops.

“I can still see Richie walking over here and saying he couldn’t find his daughter,” recalls John Devlin, 79, who lives next door to the Kankas. “
[...]
“And when they found her,”
[...]
“it was hell.”
Megan’s battered body was discovered the next day inside a toy box dumped in a nearby park.
[...]
the monster responsible for Megan’s killing had already confessed.
[...]
Jesse Timmendequas. He was a neighbor they rarely spoke to – quiet, awkward and carrying a dark secret.
[...]
33-year-old Timmendequas told cops he lured Megan into his home by promising to show her his new puppy. Then he led her to his upstairs bedroom, where he beat, raped and strangled her.
After Timmendequas dumped the body, he even joined the massive search for Megan. But Timmendequas later broke in a police interview and led cops to the body.

Already reeling from Megan’s murder
[...]
Kankas soon received more shocking news. Timmendequas was a paroled sex offender who was sharing his house with two other child molesters.
They had no idea three child predators were living across the street from where they were raising Megan and their two other kids – Jeremy, then 9, and Jessica, then 11.

“We were outraged,” Richard Kanka
[...]
“We wanted to know if the police knew about this. Didn’t anybody know that three convicted sex offenders lived across the street? It turned out nobody knew.”
[...]
Plunged into unimaginable grief, the Kankas grappled with how to soldier on.

Just days after the murder, they made a decision: They were going to dedicate their lives to exposing child predators living undetected in America
[...]
Megan’s parents traveled around the country, prodding politicians, lecturing parents and giving hundreds of press interviews.

“It was so chaotic, and it was so traumatic,”
[...]
“I went from being a mother to being in the spotlight . . . For years, I couldn’t even go to the cemetery without people coming up to me.”

Money poured into the Megan Nicole Kanka Foundation, and results came quickly. Three months after the murder, New Jersey passed Megan’s Law, which requires the whereabouts of high-risk sex offenders to be made public.
[...]
law became the model for a federal statute passed two years later. A parade of other states, including New York, soon created their own versions.

The legislative victories were satisfying, but the Kankas couldn’t escape a gnawing sadness. At night, their children had horrible nightmares.

Richard and Maureen sometimes found Jeremy screaming inside his closet in the
[...]
night. One of Jessica’s nightmares was particularly haunting.
Megan came to me in my dreams and she showed me what happened,” Jessica told them one day,
[...]
“I was standing in the doorway of that room, and I saw everything that happened. I couldn’t wake up. I couldn’t move.”
Maureen Kanka remained fixated on the room for months. Before Timmendequas’ house was razed, she convinced a detective to let her inside.
[...]
she stepped into the cramped bedroom, she felt “a tingling all over my body.”

“It was so strong I had to sit down on the bed,”
[...]
“I think she hugged me in that room. I had complete closure.”

Timmendequas was convicted on all charges and sentenced to death in June 1997.

“It is the ultimate justice that we can bring to the memory of our little girl,” Maureen Kanka said
[...]
“Megan was worth a life.”

Timmendequas remained on Death Row until Dec. 17, 2007, when New Jersey abolished its death penalty. His sentence was commuted to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

“That was a real slap in the face,”
[...]
Even then, 13 years after the crime, the Kankas felt like they were living under a dark cloud. Maureen Kanka got through the days by taking antidepressants. Richard Kanka distracted himself through his work
[...]
He’d spend nights and weekends organizing the finances of their foundation and volunteering for multiple causes.

Whenever any child disappeared in New Jersey, Richard Kanka showed up to help in the search. On the day after the 9/11 attacks, union officials asked for volunteers to help in the recovery effort. Hours later, he was on a boat crossing the Hudson River with a group of colleagues. They were ultimately instructed to help stage supplies
[...]
“I look at how the people helped us,”
[...]
“When we walked around that night, there were literally thousands of people looking for Maggie. Maybe that just changed my whole thought process around.
We had so much given to us,”
[...]
“Whenever somebody asks me, I can’t say no. Whenever they ask me, I’ll be there.”
But Maureen’s nonstop advocacy and Richard’s nonstop work schedule began to take a toll. They went 11 years without taking a vacation. In fact, they rarely did anything for pleasure.

The foundation had been moving forward with a federal grant that allowed it to fund background checks for volunteers working with kids.

But by 2013, the grant money had run out. For the first time in 19 years, Maureen Kanka had no resources to sustain her mission.

To keep going, she would have had to solicit donations from private companies. But she was exhausted. All those months on the road, all that time spent defending the law.

“I wore out,” Maureen
[....]
says. “I took a break. I had never stopped from anything.”
But what she thought would be a welcome respite turned out to be a sort of prison. Now there was nothing to distract her from fixating on what happened to Megan. Once again, she fell into a deep depression.

“Being idle was too much,” she says. “It didn’t do well for me . . . I kind of wish I had more grant money.”
The newest member of the Kanka family has raised everyone’s spirits. Twice a week, Maureen watches her 2-year-old grandson, Zachary. “He’s the apple of my eye,”
[...]
“He’s a lifesaver, that kid.”

To this day, they never utter the name of the man who took the life of their youngest child.

“I never think about him,” Maureen
[...]
says. “He took so much from us. I’m not going to let him take any more.”

She’s now working on a book about her daughter and the movement sparked by her death.
Had she lived, I have no doubt she would have done great things,” Maureen Kanka says.
“You think, she could be married now, have kids,” she adds, her voice trailing off.

The Kankas still wonder if they made the right decision by staying in their house. But they have no regrets over the crusade they’ve led over the past two decades.

“We sacrificed a lot, hopefully to save a lot,”
[...]
“I know we made an impact,” Maureen
[...]
says. “I hope it was enough. It was the best that we were able to do, let’s put it that way.”

She pauses for a moment. “I just hope it was enough for some kids.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...ed-megan-law-recall-tragedy-article-1.1881551

2n7in9e.jpg

Megan Kanka’s parents, Maureen and Richard, look out the window of their New Jersey home on the site that held the house where their daughter was killed in 1994.
2iih7d2.jpg

Days after the murder, Richard and Maureen Kanka decided to devote their lives to exposing child predators who were living undetected in American neighborhoods, and they pushed for passage of Megan's Law.
25gqvxl.jpg

In Maureen Kanka's collection of angels stands a portrait of Megan from around the time of her death at 7 years old.
53mj35.jpg

Maureen Kanka wipes a tear from her eye outside the courthouse in Trenton, N.J., in 1997 after a jury ordered the death penalty for Jesse Timmendequas.
ndoo0h.jpg

Maureen and Richard Kanka are seen in 1996 with daughter Jessica and son Jeremy as President Bill Clinton signs 'Megan’s Law.'
11j9apk.jpg

A plaque in the park honors Megan. The Kanka home can be seen in the background.​

Already reeling from Megan’s murder
[...]
Kankas soon received more shocking news. Timmendequas was a paroled sex offender who was sharing his house with two other child molesters.
They had no idea three child predators were living across the street from where they were raising Megan and their two other kids – Jeremy, then 9, and Jessica, then 11.
“We were outraged,” Richard Kanka
[...]

This is why I'm so glad that Registered Sex Offenders are now so easy to look up and find online. Of course, they have to be registering correctly like they're supposed to, but still much better than when you had no idea what they looked like or where they lived.

What a horrific thing for this family and community to experience. I applaud the parents for their dedication to Megan's Law. I too believe it has saved many lives. I understand the mother's weariness. I am glad their little grandson brought a ray of sunshine into their lives. Perhaps they can all begin to feel joy again. Megan is watching over all of them.

I just read this article

http://6abc.com/news/20-years-later-megan-kankas-legacy-lives-on/226639/#gallery-24

And this part KILLED ME.

Frank Ratkiewicz has been delivering mail to the neighborhood on Barbara Lee Drive for 24 years.

"You think about it and you just want to cry," he said.

He remembers distinctly that, back in 1994, Megan was waiting for a special delivery

"Every day that week she came up to me looking for a letter from her girlfriend. And that Saturday that letter came... and she was already passed away by then," Ratkeiwicz said.

HUGE kudos to this family. I was only 8 years old when this happened, but I just remember always seeing them on the TV as I got older.

They have made such a huge difference in this country with Megan's Law. It just breaks my heart that it had to come to this tragedy happening to open lawmaker's eyes.

Megan Nicole Kanka
(December 7, 1986 - July 29, 1994)

Twenty-five-years ago today 7-year-old Megan was sexually assaulted and murdered by a neighbor.

This beautiful girl's horrific death was the catalyst for "Megan's Law."

Megan will be remembered as a hero that has helped to keep other children safe from predators.

Latest posts

Back