• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
CARLSBAD, N.M. — Some parents are concerned about a student safety policy in Carlsbad.

"You see something like that and it's just frightening. It makes you wonder what's going on when you're not there," Morales said.

Morales' 5-year-old son just started school at Early Childhood Education Center in Carlsbad. She said she was in shock at what she witnessed last week.

"I went to go pick my son up from school," Morales said. "I noticed they had the children in cages."

School officials said the purpose of the cages is to create a safe environment for student dismissal. However, Morales believes it puts children's safety and health at risk.

"It's putting them in danger, it's putting their little bodies in danger," Morales said. "They can get heat exhaustion... so many different things, like dehydration."

Pickup times at the school are at 2:10 p.m. and 2:25 p.m., but Morales is concerned about the parents who are still at work during that time.

"The kids that aren't picked up on time, they aren't allowed to be taken inside until 2:45... so that's 20 to 30 minutes of them standing out there in the heat, waiting to be picked up by their parent," Morales said. "That's completely unsafe. That's a large amount of time for a child to be out, exposed to the heat, even in the shade."

Carlsbad's Superintendent Gerry Washburn said statements about how long children are in cages in the heat are false.
[....]
The Central Office Team, including myself, spent three days at dismissal working with staff to create a parent pickup plan for the 600 students attending school ECEC. The plan keeps students safe in shaded areas for approximately 15 minutes or less. The plan also creates an orderly dismissal process, significantly reduces parent wait times and reduces traffic backups on State Road 524. We are also only in the 7th day of school, so we believe the process will become even better as parents, staff and students become familiar with dismissal procedures. We will continue to refine and improve the plan as issues come up. The parent complaints are indicative of the frustration everyone in Carlsbad experiences on a daily basis traveling on roads designed for 28,000 people, not the 40 or 50 thousand people we currently have in our community. Additionally, the instructional configuration of our schools is resulting in overcrowding, long bus rides and other logistical issues directly affecting the learning process. Resolving these issues will require additional capital expenditures and time. Our team is working hard with the community to develop solutions to these problems. We look forward to making our case to the community for long-term solutions to the many growth related issues our schools live with on a daily basis.”

However, Morales still feels uneasy.

"You just want to know that your child is safe when they're not with you," she said.

full

To me they look like kids sitting on the bench inside a dugout at T-ball. They are in the shade, they are not alone, they can see and talk to whoever walks by, they have a bench to sit on, and they are kept safe from all the cars,

My best friend's grandson started kindergarten a couple weeks ago, she picks him up on Fridays, even tho they have a fairly complicated way of doing this, involving numbers on cars and different colored cones, it took her nearly 45 minutes sitting in a long line before he got into the car, This is a small town, A large city would be ridiculous.

Sounds like everyone would be happier with a picket fence, instead of something they can call a "cage". Maybe Morales could offer to pay for the upgraded fencing versus whining about how her precious snowflakes are so endangered when there are metal fences nearby.

Looks like they even chose a nice shaded spot under a tree to put up that ugly ass fencing. To be fair, it's an eyesore. But pretending her crotchfruit are at risk? Helicopter moms are the WORST.

"It's putting them in danger, it's putting their little bodies in danger," Morales said. "They can get heat exhaustion... so many different things, like dehydration .... that's 20 to 30 minutes of them standing out there in the heat, waiting to be picked up by their parent," Morales said. "That's completely unsafe. That's a large amount of time for a child to be out, exposed to the heat, even in the shade."
Are these children made of fucking ice cream? Are they going to melt into damn puddles?

No kidding, right now as I'm typing this, I'm on a break at work. I just spent over an hour in a 118° humid room doing actual fucking physical labor. I'm soaked from head to toe in sweat and I feel fine. If these little snot-slingers can't sit in the shade on a warm day for 30 minutes, just fucking put a pillow over their faces and hold it there until they stop kicking, because they sure in the hell aren't going to be capable of taking care of themselves in the future.

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that it is actually beneficial to challenge ourselves physically just in case that, god forbid. we should need to walk somewhere. My Ugandan friend and the people of her village walk everywhere unless they pay someone for transport. It's the way of life there. We're very spoiled as westerners.

God Forbid the electricity and wi-fi go out. Between cursive and no modern conveniences, it would be easy to cripple a whole generation.*

*Of course I know I'm not talking about all of our youth and some older folks, but you gotta admit, a good percentage of them would starve to death because they couldn't make a fire without a cigarette lighter or open a can without an electric can opener.

Sounds like everyone would be happier with a picket fence, instead of something they can call a "cage". Maybe Morales could offer to pay for the upgraded fencing versus whining about how her precious snowflakes are so endangered when there are metal fences nearby.

Looks like they even chose a nice shaded spot under a tree to put up that ugly ass fencing. To be fair, it's an eyesore. But pretending her crotchfruit are at risk? Helicopter moms are the WORST.
I think the chain link is a safer bet. With a picket fence a perv could reach over and snatch a child, this way it appears to be enclosed. Mom always did threaten to put the four of us in the dog run if we didn't behave...

I teach preschool and we go outside every day for 2:30 carpool. We have a playground with plenty of shaded areas and we have plenty of cool water to drink,

Even with the heat index at 110 degrees, 20-30 mins is not at all going to hurt a child. Ridiculous.
Post automatically merged:

And cages? Get the fuck outta here with that noise. Pfft.

Thats what I love about the schools here. Parents of small children are expected to get out of their cars and walk their asses to the school doors.

The younger classes use a separate entrance and they all line up nicely in a row with the teacher standing in the door. Teacher looks for their parent/guardian/etc while small talking the kid, shakes the kid's hand and says "till tomorrow" (in dutch ofc). If no parent is present(highly frowned upon to be late) the child is pulled to the side and stands next to the teacher while they go down the line. All the kids left are taken back inside to wait for their parents to show up.

No messy pick up lines. Its quick and safe and it allows for the teacher to be able to talk to the parents face to face to address anything. Its also super cute to watch because a good majority of the little kids hug their teachers after shaking their hand :D

Older classes, well they expect you are either there standing out front of the school or that you let your kid walk home. Most kids walk.

The only reason they would be in the heat for twenty or thirty minutes would be because parents didn't come get their kid when they should have. Get your kid on time. If a kid is waiting thirty minutes in a cage for their mom and dad I promise they are more scared they were forgotten about than dehydrated. Get your free range kid on time.

Yup I expected dog type fenced cages... not this. This isn’t so bad. Get your kid on time lady and they won’t be in there for long, what’s the issue? Did it embarrass you that you had to take your child out of the cage when you were late?

I’d love this for my kids at home right now....
and I’ll just tip toe out behind you guys up there :cat:

Back