• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Contributed by Sugar Cookie.

Officials with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife killed a young black bear near Hagg Lake on Thursday after the creature had become habituated to humans because so many people were feeding it, authorities said.
full

[....]
On Wednesday, the Washington County Sheriff’s Office tweeted that a black bear had been spotted near the boat ramp and that deputies were attempting to shoo the animal back into the woods. They were successful, they subsequently tweeted, but the bear returned the next day.

Officials with the state said they’d also seen numerous “selfies” people had taken with the bear near the lake posted to social media.

“This is a classic example of why we implore members of the public not to feed bears,” wildlife biologist Kurt Licence said in a statement. “While the individuals who put food out for this bear may have had good intentions bears should never, ever be fed.”

The state does not relocate bears that have become accustomed to being around people, officials said, because once the animal associated people with food it drastically increases the likelihood of problematic encounters.

Feeding bears food intended for people can also make them sick, Licence said.

“It’s never a good idea to feed wild animals,” he said. “They are perfectly capable of fending for themselves, and it’s always better to leave them alone and enjoy them from a safe distance.”
[....]

And they should put up a giant billboard with a picture of the bear dead. With a sign that says
If you fed me, it's your fault I'm dead.

When I lived in MN I had 3 neighbors around me in a 3 mile radius. All of those idiots fed the bears. And all 3 households decided to stop because the price of corn shot up due to the gas prices.

The bears became grouchy, destructive and agressive. A couple of them had to be shot.

From the article.

The state does not relocate bears that have become accustomed to being around people, officials said, because once the animal associated people with food it drastically increases the likelihood of problematic encounters.

Maybe they don't know about the 3 sanctuaries.

As a matter of fact...yes.
3 of them.
Satisfied?
No. Show us the links for Oregon sanctuaries who will take in the black bears who are deemed a danger to the public.. Who will pay for the cost of capturing, keeping, and transporting such bears?
I have no problem shooting the bear. They are a real problem once they become fearless around people who offer food. Killing a problem bear might convince people to stop feeding them.
Too bad the bear had to be sacrificed for stupid people.

Last edited:
No. Show us the links for Oregon sanctuaries who will take in the black bears who are deemed a danger to the public.. Who will pay for the cost of capturing, keeping, and transporting such bears?

It is not my job to educate you. Obviously you have access to the internet try using it for something other than DD.

Oh and also additionally facilities in neighbouring states that do bears.
As for who pays that is traditionally funded from donations to said facilities.

Class dismissed.

It is not my job to educate you. Obviously you have access to the internet try using it for something other than DD.

Oh and also additionally facilities in neighbouring states that do bears.
As for who pays that is traditionally funded from donations to said facilities.

Class dismissed.
You are espousing your case for sanctuaries, so I would expect you to offer the data since it's important to you.
More important, who is going to pay to send problem bears to sanctuaries? Will the sanctuaries accept every animal? What if there is no room? It is so much cheaper to shoot them. I think they should film killing every bear that must be shot and put the video on the news. Drive it home to the people.

Last edited:
It is not my job to educate you. Obviously you have access to the internet try using it for something other than DD. (end partial quote)
Yet you mention 3 nonexistent animal sanctuaries (large predator) that are not "real" in Oregon. They do birds of prey and a few others close to Urbanites (optics), but even OSU has stopped doing rehab work for fish and wild life services, who still contract out for put down orders.
This I have done and I'm still on call for salvage runs. You see, we butcher the meat for the Union Gospel and other local churches who feed the bums and druggies.
Have done a few bears, but mostly crippled Elk and Deer. Sometimes road kill can take a few days and we can put the critter down for fresh (but traumatized, or should I say bruised) meat.

Relocating problem/injured critters is what idiot children do. Dump their problems on others.

You are espousing your case for sanctuaries, so I would expect you to offer the data since it's important to you.
More important, who is going to pay to send problem bears to sanctuaries? Will the sanctuaries accept every animal? What if there is no room? It is so much cheaper to shoot them. I think they should film killing every bear that must be shot and put the video on the news. Drive it home to the people.

Born & Raised in the Willamette Valley, I know we do in fact have several sanctuaries throughout our state, I have personally visited a few; As for bears It all depends on the scenario. In this case I don't think any particular sanctuary would be willing to take it as it's clearly fine around people. Though If it were a cub that would be a different story, we have the Wildlife Park in Bandon that takes in Wild Bears given it's the last stop before euthanizing, and that's contingent on available space. We also have he well known case of the Black Bear cub abandoned, starving, and malnourished given Portland Zoo, raised and Re homed in Wisconsin.

Though the Typical Wildlife Sanctuaries here in the state have a primary focus of healing the sick, wounded, abandoned etc. then releasing, not having onsite Pets (especially something as large as a bear) If this poor juvenile could be rehabilitated to self sufficiency, I'm sure he would have gladly been taken but unfortunately it's simply too late. It's really sad that another creature who has just as equal right to life as anyone of us on this earth had to meet this fate, but maybe its time to start posting more signs and patrols for re educating idiots who clearly can't figure out what many of us know as common sense.

Back