• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
9aod2q.jpg
This 6-year-old horse is recovering after someone injected gasoline into its neck earlier this month in Florida. A neighboring horse that was similarly injected was not as lucky and had to be put down.
Authorities in Florida are searching for the person responsible for injecting gasoline into horses, killing one.

The sickening act was discovered earlier this month after two horses at neighboring Marion County homes were found with unusual blood spots and puncture wound http://www.wesh.com/news/1-horse-de...ith-gasoline/26400764?tru=WLoaS#ixzz34AsKSh8f
[...]
A blood spot discovered June 2 on the shoulder of a horse belonging to John Hoogerhyde led to an unusual bump, which grew in size before the horse became lethargic.

The animal had to be put down, and a necropsy revealed the disturbing reason why.
"(The person who performed the necropsy) said there's so much gasoline, it smelled like someone had poured a five-gallon can of gasoline on her,"
[...]
Two days after Hoogerhyde's discovery, his next-door neighbor,
[...]
noticed a similar puncture wound on her 6-year-old horse's neck.

At first it only resembled a bug bite. Then it began to swell.
Thankfully, because of the necropsy's results, Greenlead alerted a veterinarian in time, allowing for immediate surgery and continuing medical treatment which likely saved the hoofed pet's life.

The devastated horse lovers are now offering a $1,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest.

They've also since set up surveillance cameras and have moved their other animals to safer locations.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...oline-florida-article-1.1823055#ixzz34Bre7QUV
Marion County horse owner John Hoogerhyde nearly breaks down in tears as he recalls having to put down his horse after it was injected with gasoline.
[....]
John Hoogerhyde and Leah Greenleaf, who are neighbors, reported the suspicious incident on their property off SE 55th Avenue
[...]
According to Hoogerhyde, he noticed a blood spot on the shoulder of one of his horses, Jolean, in the afternoon of June 2. Later on, the horse began acting lethargic and the shoulder area became enlarged.

Jolean had to be put down. During a necropsy of the horse, a strong smell of gasoline emitted from the shoulder area.

"(The person who performed the necropsy) said there's so much gasoline, it smelled like someone had poured a five-gallon can of gasoline on her,
[....]
Greenleaf said she noticed similar symptoms on one of her horses, 6-year-old Kate, on June 4. She said she saw a puncture wound on the animal's neck that looked like a bug bite, but it began to swell.

After taking the animal to a veterinarian, it appeared gasoline was in the horse's muscle. The animal is undergoing treatment and had another surgery
[...]
A friend is holding a fundraiser to help pay the medical bills.
Hoogerhyde and Greenleaf said they keep the horses near the back of their properties and have no idea who would want to hurt the animals.

"She's a pleasure. She's my companion. She's the daughter of my two horses. She's my baby,"
[...]
Both said they have moved the remaining animals to other locations and have set up surveillance video to watch them.

"If you're the person that's doing this to our horses, just come forward. Stop it now,"
[..]
Hoogerhyde and his wife are devastated. They are offering a $1,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Marion County deputies.
http://www.wesh.com/news/1-horse-de...injected-with-gasoline/26400764#ixzz34BsP3YoV
Leah Greenlead, pictured, and John Hoogerhyde are now offering a $1,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest of whoever is responsible for injecting their horses with gasoline.

I hope they catch this person before they do this again. I hope the one horse went quickly and didn't suffer :(

I almost didn't click on this thread because reading about animal abuse seriously tears me up inside.

It's not much, but I volunteer once a week for 4 hours at our local humane society's equine center. I love horses, always have. I'd love to have one of my own. I know I can't afford it though, so I don't have one. I don't understand why people keep animals & neglect them and I certainly don't understand why anyone would seek out someone else's animal in order to inflict pain upon it. I'd say whoever did this was an animal, but that would be offensive to all the beautiful animals out there.

This is awful. My condolences to the horse owner.

I haven't locked my house doors in 10 years 24/7 365 my doors are unlocked. But I have a camera at all times looking over my pasture. If someone was to come to my property and hurt one of my horses, I would want to know who it is before the police know.

nuff said.

This is horrible! I just don't understand how people can hurt the creatures that want nothing to be loved and fed :(

Seriously. Although I admire the womans heart in thinking that some one will actually come forward and turn themselves in as she asked, this will never happen.

Back