• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Old Man Metal

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
full

Lowest Creature - Sacrilegious Pain (2019)

4/5 stars. Lowest Creature play a straightforward style of metal that sees compelling mid-tempo thrash and crossover riffs bolted together into uncomplicated verse/chorus structures, driven in alternating fits by D-beats and thrash-style drumming, with well-placed uptempo sections, hangs and sick mosh parts to build and release tension. Well-done thrash leads and the occasional brief, oddish "Bay Area sophomore album" progression provide punctuation where needed. Production is typical for this style: a tad raw-and-dirty (suitably so) with a fair bit of reverb, which provides the aural sense of distance common to crossover. Vocals are raw, dirtyish hardcore shouts, really reminiscent of early Black Breath.

Standout tracks: Preachers Pedestal, Let the Darkness Swallow Me Whole, Spiritual Hypocrisy.

full

Deathswarm - Shadowlands of Darkness (2019)

4/5 stars. First LP from the Swedish death metal band Deathswarm, formed by members of Sarcasm. This is nicely-done death metal that vacillates somewhat schizophrenically between cavernous, Autopsyesque deathdoom and more uptempo old-school Swedish death metal, with the occasional thrashy chug or bit of somber melodicism (read: Bolt Thrower riff). Sounds like fairly traditional old-school Swedish death metal with more cavernous vocals and a dirtier production.

Standout tracks: Let the Flames Devour, Tomb of the Universe, We Fade Away at Dawn.

full

Rammstein - s/t (2019)

4/5 stars. First album in ten years from Germany's Rammstein, a pioneering Neue Deutsche Härte band that combined the distorted-guitar-driven essence of metal, Euro dance beats, a distinctive hyper-enunciated vocal style, and synths, sampling and other Industrial elements to form what has been referred to as Tanz Metal. To my ears, this LP contains some of their best work (Deutschland, Radio, Auslaender) as well as Till Lindemann's most demented studio vocal performance to date (Puppe). The über-epic opening track Deutschland, I'd go so far as to say, is my favorite Rammstein song of all time at this point, and the remainder of the album acquits itself very well, offering stylistic glimpses of different eras of the band's history. Weit Weg in particular I will cite as an example of their early-found ability to use a base, crass vignette or metaphor to convey an overwhelmingly poignant, emotionally powerful vision; it is also an excellent example of their thematic use of stirring synths to tie the parts of a song together.

Meticulously crafted, sonically stunning, lyrically ingenious.

Standout tracks: Deutschland, Radio, Auslaender.

full

Beheaded - Only Death Can Save You (2019)

3.5/5 stars. 6th LP from veteran Maltese death metallers Beheaded. Well-done, if a bit uneven, mid/up-tempo modern brutal/techish death metal with a propensity for groove, and thrashy chugs and sludgy passages for contrast. Drumwork stands out, fluidly using multiple tropes in the same structure; Nile-esque, epic-feeling multi-tempo rolling double bass under slower riffing is common.

Standout Tracks: Evil Be to Him Who Evil Seeks, Embrace Your Messiah.

full

Needless - Heresy (2019)

4/5 stars. Ace debut LP from Hungary! Asymmetric death metal song structures built from hyperspace Vektor-like tech thrash, macabre black/death riffs and sick, expertly-placed, neck-snapping mid-tempo thrash chugs, all supported by fluid trad/thrash drumming, double-bass and bits of blast. Lots of tasty, varied leads and some effective acoustic bits. Develops pervading, contrasting Exotic and Outer Space atmospheres, both driven primarily by the leadwork. Technicality shows both in some of the riffing and in periodic use of odd time signatures (usually in interlude or bridge passages). Combines a lot of different influences really well. Nice big production to boot.

Standout tracks: The Monolith, Starcult, Marked By a Black Sigil.

Attachments

• omm_rates_500.jpg
    omm_rates_500.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 633
Bunch of eurotrash shit it looks and sounds like

Fuck Malta

Sucks taht Rammstein is active again. Guess i can look forward to laughing at footage of their garbage, pathetic try-hard live performances completely with dildos firing off comedically immense amounts of fake ejaculate. What a fucking gimmicky shit act.

Hey @JackBurton, If I told you there was an ass-kicker of a band that's a dead-ringer for old Overkill, would the fact that that they're European ruin it for you?

Italian, to be specific.

Hey @JackBurton, If I told you there was an ass-kicker of a band that's a dead-ringer for old Overkill, would the fact that that they're European ruin it for you?

Italian, to be specific.

There was another Italian metal band i found interesting, cant think of the name.

No i accept talent in spite of whatever disgusting culture is creating it, provided that talent is great enough.

One of my favorite bands right now for example is the French trio Mars Red Sky, who have an album releasing later this month actually. Some of the best instrumental stoner rock and pyschedelic is from the krauts. Church of the Cosmic Skull is a group of British folks. Actually, the more i think on it the more i realize America has been fucking off for some time, not much talent comin out of there at all in recent years, pretty pathetic.

Seriously, FUCK Malta though.

Back