• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
veticu.jpeg

[....]
The Norwegian Food Safety Authority said up to 40 dogs had fallen ill with vomiting and diarrhoea, and several later died.

The first cases were in the capital Oslo, and others have since been reported in at least 13 other towns.

The Veterinary Institute said it was unclear if two suspect bacteria types found in autopsies were the cause.

Norwegian national broadcaster NRK reports that a total of 25 dogs have died from the condition. However, this has not been confirmed by the Norwegian Food Safety Authority.

A dog in neighbouring Sweden has also been admitted to veterinary hospital after appearing at a show in the Norwegian city of Trondheim, according to Swedish newspaper GT.

The Norwegian Veterinary Institute said its pathologists found that three dogs showed signs of a bloody gut, and that it had ruled out common causes like salmonella and rat poison.

Food safety authority spokesman Ole-Herman Tronerud told NRK that the illness seemed "very serious for a dog. But we don't know yet whether this is contagious or just a series of individual cases".

The agency has advised dog owners to keep animals on a lead in order to avoid contact with other canines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chinese dog treats.

It may not be common over there though...not sure

A young woman from Norway died earlier this year from rabies after she was bit by a homeless dog while on vacation in the Philippines... she and her family apparently had no idea rabies was a threat. Perhaps Norwegians also are unfamiliar with other dog illnesses?

From a discussion I found.

Speaking as a vet, that sounds a lot like Parvo, and anti-vaxxers are also a thing in vet med. Have these dogs been tested for it?

level 2
Impolite_sodomite

4 points·3 days ago

Yes, it’s not parvo -they tested- but it does bear a striking resemblance to the first cases of parvo in the 70’s, I agree. Dogs in Oslo tend to be pure-bred and extremely well-cared for. I frequent the dog parks that seem to be the epicenter of the contagion myself, I know all the regulars. There is no way these dogs did not have all their vaccinations.

Back