• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
On Monday, a woman who had been working as a Noblesville school bus aide, is expected to plead guilty to striking a 10-year-old girl who has brain damage.

In video from inside the school bus, you can see Francella Van Fossen slap the girl across the face.

In court documents, Van Fossen told investigators she "touched" the girl's face after the 10-year-old bit her.

Van Fossen had been transporting the girl for three years when this incident happened in Ma

Right now Van Fossen is facing a charge of battery.

Video at link
1570814080842.png

I understand the desire to slap the taste out of the mouth of snarky little kid BUT there's this thing call restraint that we must use when wanting to do something we ought not do, especially when ywe're talking about a child with brain damage.

I honestly don't think it looks like she's slapping her. She quickly moves her hand in that direction, because who wouldn't after being surprised by someone randomly biting the back of your arm. But then it looks like she slows her hand down when the girl stops biting, and just sort of touches her face. I don't think the video alone is enough evidence to convict her. If the other aide in the footage testified that she heard a slap or something, then sure. If the aide is entering a guilty plea, though, then I'm assuming there's additional evidence against her.

I've done this exact job -- buckling wheelchair kids and kids with severe intellectual disabilities onto the school bus. Many of them had to wear restraint harnesses that fasten to hooks on the top and bottom of the bus seats. I've been bitten and pinched loads of times. It's pretty much impossible to NOT immediately whip around in the direction of a surprise bite/pinch. It's instinct. I have never slapped or hurt a student in any way, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's footage out there that makes me look really, really bad.

I honestly don't think it looks like she's slapping her. She quickly moves her hand in that direction, because who wouldn't after being surprised by someone randomly biting the back of your arm. But then it looks like she slows her hand down when the girl stops biting, and just sort of touches her face. I don't think the video alone is enough evidence to convict her. If the other aide in the footage testified that she heard a slap or something, then sure. If the aide is entering a guilty plea, though, then I'm assuming there's additional evidence against her.

I've done this exact job -- buckling wheelchair kids and kids with severe intellectual disabilities onto the school bus. Many of them had to wear restraint harnesses that fasten to hooks on the top and bottom of the bus seats. I've been bitten and pinched loads of times. It's pretty much impossible to NOT immediately whip around in the direction of a surprise bite/pinch. It's instinct. I have never slapped or hurt a student in any way, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's footage out there that makes me look really, really bad.
i appreciate your honesty and ability to see the situation from a rational point of view...seems to be an elusive quality these days, so thank you.

Suffered a few bites from my autistic daughter, once all the way down to the muscle tissue. It took everything NOT to go crazy, so I agree with Ramona: it's instinct. Self-control is never easy.
If she'd bite you, she'll bite anyone. It's a hard job but it has to be stopped. If a pet can't bite people, neither can another human.
How did you get her to stop biting? That's the most interesting part.

If she'd bite you, she'll bite anyone. It's a hard job but it has to be stopped. If a pet can't bite people, neither can another human.
How did you get her to stop biting? That's the most interesting part.
I got my daughter to stop biting by being stern and being careful for the triggers to gradually stop it. The issue is biting is a natural action for some children with autism. I'm not saying it's acceptable but striking a child is not exactly going to change her behavior, especially since stress is usually the cause. My sister was a serious bitch as a kid and hitting her only made her bite harder!

Last edited:
I do not agree Ramona. Don't get a job like this if you can't control yourself. I've been punched, slapped, kicked, bit, spit on, hair pulled and slapped. Never once did I react like this.
Well, it's still a matter of debate what "like this" even refers to. Are you saying you would've shown absolutely no reaction whatsoever and would have just calmly continued buckling the seatbelt? K.

I wonder what the aide's training consisted of... The accepted response to a mild bite in these parts is actually to gently tap the student's face and verbally prompt them to let go. The response for a severe bite is to quickly push the bitten part of your body into their face so the surprise causes their jaw to open, then use a free hand to quickly pull your bitten body part loose.
Post automatically merged:

I got my daughter to stop biting by being stern and being careful for the triggers to gradually stop it. The issue is biting is a natural action for some children with autism. I'm not saying it's acceptable but striking a child is not exactly going to change her behavior, especially since stress is usually the cause. My sister was a serious bitch as a kid and hitting her only made her bite harder!
For sure. When you have communication and sensory issues, it's easy to develop a biting habit. At least you did something about it.... So many parents are at opposite ends of the spectrum lol. Either slap the shit out of the kid and steal their drugs, or never discipline them ever and just excuse everything they do because autism.

Last edited:
@Ramona the brave

She is not allowed to hit the child under any circumstances.

I have worked with children like this and yes it can be difficult but I have never reacted.

The reaction could cause more damage and result in real charges and real life consequences.

Now she can find a job more suited to her temperament.

October 16, 2019
Former Noblesville school bus aide Franchella Van Fossen admitted slapping a disabled student she was responsible for keeping safe.

The judge winced when he watched the video and then, sentenced Van Fossen to 10 days in jail and almost six months of probation.

There were tears of disappointment and sighs of relief.

The girl's mother, Elizabeth Hartman testified. She called the attack "a purposeful act of malice and pain."

After the sentencing, outside of court Hartman admitted, "I am overwhelmed. You want to know the truth. I am completely overwhelmed."

In May, the truth was captured by a security camera on a Noblesville school bus.

The driver and aide Francella Van Fossen are seen trying secure a wheelchair carrying Riley Hartman. The disabled girl was 9 years old at the time.

In the video, Van Fossen slaps the child then tells the driver that the girl bit her arm.

In court documents, Van Fossen told investigators she "touched" the girl's face after the 10-year-old bit her. The 10-year-old suffers from brain damage that occurred from a traffic incident.

Investigators showed the video to Hartman.

"It was heartbreaking because they weren't treating her like a child. They were treating her like baggage," Hartman said.

Dozens of Van Fossen's friends, relatives and coworkers attended the hearing.

Her attorney tried to portray the woman as a person with a passion for caring for children.

"The most non-aggressive person I've ever known. She would never be violent," Van Fossen's friend Diane Reed testified.

Reed went on to call the slap "a reflex, like hitting a mosquito. A reflex that anyone would do." That brought gasps from others in the court room.

"I was horrified when I saw the video of myself and what I had done. I take full responsibility for my actions," Van Fossen said, then apologized to the family.

Good behavior could cut those 10 days in jail to five. Van Fossen was also sentenced to serve 170 days probation.

While on probation, Van Fossen must perform community service, which the judge said could not include caring for children.

Van Fossen could be freed the end of the week. Van Fossen had been transporting the girl for three years when this incident happened in May.

Last edited:
Back