• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A babysitter who police say killed a six-month-old baby while running unlicensed day care is on trial for murder.

On Monday, jurors heard from first responders and doctors who treated the girl, who the defense attorney says showed no physical signs of the deadly assault his client is charged wit

Pallavi Macharla cried while prosecutors gave a timeline of the events that led to the death of six-month-old Ridhima Dhekane in March 2014.

Investigators say Macharla - who was babysitting the infant for her neighbor - violently shook Ridhima, causing her to stop breathing. Prosecutors allege instead of calling 911, Macharla called Ridhima's mother who rushed to her Burlington apartment.

Ridhima was unresponsive and died a few days later, but Macharla's legal team told the jury Ridhima had no bruises or marks on her body and say instead, the baby stopped breathing after choking on applesauce made by her mother.

"Ridhima Dhekane was murdered with extreme cruelty by the very woman who was chosen to protect and care for her," said Assistant District Attorney Katharine Folger.

But defense attorney JW Carney says, "The vomit is what prevented Ridhima from breathing, it's as simple as that."

When asked why she didn’t ask for help, the 44-year-old replied, “I could not think of asking [for] anybody’s help.”

The Middlesex District Attorney charged Macharla for the death of 6-month-old Ridhima Dhekane.
Macharla practiced medicine in her native India. Prosecutors allege she should’ve known to call 9-1-1 but instead called the child’s mother when the baby became distressed.

A Massachusetts woman has been convicted of second-degree murder in the death of an infant in her care.

Pallavi Macharla was convicted Monday after about eight hours of jury deliberations over two days.

Prosecutors said the 44-year-old Macharla shook 6-month old Ridhima Dhekane in March 2014 so violently her brain bled. Macharla was a physician in her native India who ran a daycare out of her Burlington home.

Prosecutors say Macharla changed her story and as a trained doctor, should have promptly called 911 instead of first calling the baby's mother. The baby died at a hospital days later.

@Satanica
A Burlington babysitter convicted of killing a 6-month-old girl in her care was sentenced to prison Friday.

Pallavi Macharla was found guilty over the summer of second-degree murder, but a judge reduced it to involuntary manslaughter based on evidence.

She'll serve 3.5 to 4 years in prison, though prosecutors wanted at least 10 years.

Macharla, a former doctor in India, ran a daycare at her Burlington home in 2014. Six-month-old Ridhima Dhekane died after prosecutors say she was shaken and suffered head trauma.

"Your honor, I loved Ridhima so much nearly as I loved my daughter," Macharla said during sentencing.

Defense Attorney J.W. Carney asked for probation because Macharla has young children and a lengthy sentence could mean deportation to her native India.

"I cannot let that factor alone dictate what is an appropriate sentence in this case," Judge Kenneth Fishman said.

With that, Fishman sentenced Macharla to 3.5 to 4 years in prison. She's already served 14 months.

Rhidima's attorney said he and his client thought the judge would be more lenient but said the sentence was merciful.
https://www.boston25news.com/news/b...to-nearly-4-years-for-daycare-death/996355660
1570831586665.png

Latest posts

Back