• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
From the desk of ghosttruck.

[....]
The swarm covered the midsection of a solitary bicycle chained to a post on Greenwich Street near the TriBeCa and SoHo areas of Manhattan, the NYPD Beekeepers tweeted.
full

Officer Michael Lauriano, a member of the department’s two-man bee unit, said he was on his way to celebrate Father’s Day with his family when he got a call about the buzzing brood.

Officials said the queen bee appeared to have landed on the bike, which attracted the whole colony.

The bees were removed safely and will be housed at Lauriano’s apiary on Long Island, police said.

Lauriano joked that his daughter now has 30,000 new sisters.

When not safely removing swarms from city streets, Lauriano and his beekeeping partner, Officer Darren Mays, have regular patrol duties, the New York Post reported.

Wonder what could have been in the bike bag that had may have had pollen and possibly a sticky "nectar" or sap to attract all the bees, and if any pollen was located on reddish plant "hairs"? (*ahem*) :cigar:

Wonder what could have been in the bike bag that had may have had pollen and possibly a sticky "nectar" or sap to attract all the bees, and if any pollen was located on reddish plant "hairs"? (*ahem*) :cigar:

Bees are not looking for food when they swarm and settle like that. In fact, they gorge themselves with honey just before they swarm. That clump is just a resting spot while they look for a new hive. I had a bee hive next to my house which swarmed twice a year and they clumped in all kinds of spots, usually pretty close to the house. Sometimes they just clump in a really dumb location.
They are very calm in a clump, and you can lean right in and watch them. Bees scout new hive locations and they return to the clump and do their bee dance. Within 24 hours, they fly to the new location. Very cool!

Bees are not looking for food when they swarm and settle like that. In fact, they gorge themselves with honey just before they swarm. That clump is just a resting spot while they look for a new hive. I had a bee hive next to my house which swarmed twice a year and they clumped in all kinds of spots, usually pretty close to the house. Sometimes they just clump in a really dumb location.
They are very calm in a clump, and you can lean right in and watch them. Bees scout new hive locations and they return to the clump and do their bee dance. Within 24 hours, they fly to the new location. Very cool!

I was beeing sarcastic, with reefer humor.;)

We had a colony of wild honey bees settle and start a very large wax hive on the steel frame of a boat trailer about 3 years ago.
At first we thought they were just regular bees, until our dog had a few stings on his snout and was caught chewing on a big piece of sand covered honeycomb!
As you pointed out, I was able to get exceptionally close, and easily spot the queen and where she was laying eggs, and where the workers were sealing the eggs and food/honey for storage.
I went the next midday and talked to an elderly local family friend who'd been a beekeeper for 60 yrs for advice on how to coax them into a proper hive.
He is a walking library of bee related information, and was really helpful and generous with his knowledge.
Unfortunately, the very day I talked with him turned out to bee the hottest day that summer, with temps of 103f plus high humidity, and he'd told me they need a very close cool water source to dip into and return to their hive then shake the water onto the area to keep the temperature regulated; sadly, by the time I got home and brought a 5 gal bucket of cool water to their location, much of the wax had melted while I was gone and they'd abandoned the spot for a cooler location.

He told me they'll probably return again although perhaps not the exact same hive, as our property is covered with gallberry bushes, sassafras, blackberries and huckleberries, all of which attract bees, but that gallberry is one of their favorites, and a very popular selling honey for it's distinctive flavor - and we tend to leave tall broken, hollow trees alone for cavity breeding birds and bats, which also attracts bees.
My brother also did beekeeping for several years, until he kept losing his bees to wasp infestations, and there's no way to spray or dust to prevent wasps that doesn't also kill the bees.:(

They are indeed very cool creatures, and along with bats, are vital to our farmers and wild flora for the cross-pollination that most crops and plants depend on to grow and reproduce.:cool:

Back