• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
September 12, 2018

A Navy corpsman who inflicted fatal injuries on his girlfriend’s toddler son at their home in Alpine was convicted of murder and assault on a child causing death.

Jurors deliberated about two hours before finding 32-year-old Brett Brown guilty in the 2016 death of Lucas Orlando, who was 20 months old. Brown faces 25 years to life in prison when he is sentenced Nov. 28.

The prosecutor said the child suffered severe eye, brain and neck hemorrhages, skull fractures and a broken leg.

Brown testified he was carrying the boy and a plate of food when he slipped and fell on top of the toddler.

Doctors testified that the child’s injuries had to have been caused by violent shaking and by deliberately striking the child’s head against a hard surface.
https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/2...onvicted-in-death-of-girlfriends-toddler-son/

The child's mother, Renee Fournier, pleaded guilty to felony child endangerment and has yet to be sentenced.
http://www.cbs8.com/story/38981799/...r-trial-of-navy-man-accused-in-toddlers-death
1539846575607.png

Last edited:
@Satanica
A Navy corpsman who inflicted fatal injuries on his girlfriend’s toddler son at their home in Alpine was sentenced to 25 years to life in state prison.

Brett Brown, 32, was convicted in September of murder and assault on a child causing death.

Deputy District Attorney Chantal de Mauregne told jurors that Brown lied to his girlfriend, Renee Fournier, and first responders as to how 20-month- old Lucas Orlando was hurt.

Brown told deputies that Lucas had been hurt in a fall. Fournier was at work at the time, Nelson said.

Brown had been watching Lucas that day along with Fournier’s other child and two of his own from a prior relationship, the lieutenant said.

Lucas died two days later at Rady Children’s Hospital

Detectives investigating the death determined that the trauma the boy suffered was too severe to have occurred the way Brown described it, according to Nelson.

The child suffered severe eye, brain and neck hemorrhages, skull fractures and a broken leg, according to de Mauregne.

Doctors testified that the child’s injuries had to have been caused by violent shaking and by deliberately striking the child’s head against a hard surface.

Brown testified that he was carrying the boy and a plate of food when he slipped and fell on top of the toddler.

The mother of a murdered east county toddler will serve only probation for her part in the little boy’s death.

The defendant, Renee Fournier, was allowed to plead to a misdemeanor because she gave valuable testimony against her boyfriend, Brett Brown, who was convicted last month for the murder of 20-month-old Lucas Orlando.

Fournier also completed all court-ordered classes and community service. The prosecutor, Chantal de Mauregre, said Fournier did more class work and community service than was required by law.

Fournier was ordered to serve four years’ probation, with no time in custody, as agreed to by the prosecutor and Fournier’s attorney.

But Judge Jeffrey Fraser said he will end that probation term early if Fournier avoids trouble with the law.

“I think you had to suffer through one of the most horrific things that any human being [Brown] can do. I think, quite frankly, you’re going to prove to be a model probationer and I don’t think we’ll ever see you back here,” Fraser told the defendant.

Lucas suffered this bitch has just been inconvenienced.

I’ve tripped over my daughter but never caused injuries like this. I must have done it in correctly :sorry:
I once fell down 5 steps while I had my baby in my arms. I naturally kept him from hitting the ground while my own body took the brunt. I feel this would come natural to a human. Kind of like when a car pulls out in front of you and you hit the brake.
If humans didn't do this naturally, we would be reading daily how a child or baby was seriously injured when the adult tripped.

From personal experience, I believe you're correct. Something overrides your own self-preservation instincts and makes sure your precious cargo comes out on top and not even in contact with any surface. I would love to see a scientific explanation of this.

Back