• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Early bird tickets for AfroFuture Fest had started at $10 for "people of colour" and $20 for "non-people of colour".

Organisers of a music and arts festival in Detroit that was charging attendees different prices based on their skin colour have ditched the controversial model after receiving "threats from white supremacists".

Tickets for AfroFuture Fest, scheduled for the weekend of 3 August, had been split into different rates - with early bird prices starting at $10 for "people of colour" and $20 for "non-people of colour".

Some "POC" tickets were also made available for free and were quickly snapped up, and the strategy prompted biracial rapper Tiny Jag to drop out of the show and demand her name be removed from promotional material

Full Story:

I'm wondering how they enforced their prices. Early ticket sales is usually done by phone or online.
Would Rachel Dolezaal or Talcum X get the discount"?
These organizers get so wrapped up in the message, they ignore the logistics and the legality!

A friend is a very accomplished ceramics artist. She was selling at some women's art fair in San Francisco, and they gave a discount on the entry fee if a person was lesbian or bi. So of course she checked the "Bi" box.
She said "I'm a struggling artist, I need every discount." That year's roster showed a large increase in "lesbian" and "bi" artists and craftswomen. Duh!

Last edited:
I assume this was a publicity stunt to promote the Afro-centric nature of the concert/festival, not something they ever had any actual/serious intention of enforcing or seeing through.

I mean most, if not all, tickets are bought online afterall.

I'm not convinced it was just a publicity stunt. There actually are people who think this sort of thing is justified. I had a friend attending Evergreen State College a few years back when the big "no, you're a racist" kurfuffle happened. At one point, the student organizers held a big meeting on campus in the gym, with chairs set up and refreshments. They announced at the meeting that the chairs were only for people of color. The white people had to stand, in the back. Same with the refreshments... only for POC. They were totally serious, and it was not a publicity stunt.

I think that's fine if you want to present it as a historical experience or something. I don't know how many people would actually want to have that experience though. Even at my age, I mostly remember colored water fountains and segregated schools, but I was aware of discrimination and the differences between how blacks and whites were treated. My high school wasn't integrated until my senior year and it happened by court order.

I am aware that there has been terrible discrimination in the past (and some still continues). Obviously it was very wrong. However, discriminating against someone else does nothing to right that wrong, it just adds a new wrong to the already existing pile. Treating everyone fairly and equally is the real solution.

I assume this was a publicity stunt to promote the Afro-centric nature of the concert/festival, not something they ever had any actual/serious intention of enforcing or seeing through.
I considered that angle too, but honestly think a combination of fervent belief and incompetence drives them to make these illogical decisions that always backfire. They probably knew it couldn't be enforced, but they believed it was important to "start a dialogue". Of course, there is no dialogue because disagreement is not allowed.
Reminds me when Starbucks had employees write 'race together' on cups and customers said "I just want a damn coffee!" Some organizations are in a "yes man" bubble where people won't disagree, so they forge ahead with ridiculous ideas.

Back