• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Prosecutors are asking for a separate mental fitness examination for a former Quincy woman charged in the 2017 death of her 8-year-old son.

Court records show the motion was filed Thursday to have Aushena Warren examined by the state. Warren previously had undergone a fitness exam by the Missouri Psychiatric Rehabilitation Center after her attorneys filed a notice they plan to present a defense of mental disease or defect.

Warren, 31, was indicted in January 2018 on one count of first-degree murder and one count of abandonment of a corpse in the drowning death of her son, Audrick Warren.

The indictment alleges Aushena Warren drowned her son. A probable cause statement in the case said police were called June 13, 2017, to a home where paramedics declared the boy dead.

Audrick's father and Aushena Warren's husband, Roderick Warren said he received a FaceTime call from his other son saying he could not find his mother. Roderick said he returned home, where he found Audrick, wearing underwear and socks, lying unresponsive in a bathtub full of water.

Court documents allege Aushena Warren left a note explaining how the "financial pressures the family was under was her fault and she did not think they made enough money." It further stated that she feared the children would be taken by the state and put up for adoption.

Aushena Warren jumped off the Bond Bridge in Kansas City just before 10 a.m. June 13, 2017. She survived the fall and was taken to a hospital for treatment.

She reportedly told detectives that she suffered from bipolar disorder and had not been taking her medicine. When asked who was left in charge of her children, she reportedly became emotional.

What a beautiful boy. Terrible name but a gorgeous child. He would have fought her too.
I hope they find her competent to stand trial. It was her choice to stop taking her meds.
Unless they could not afford them, no disability, and I know she didn’t qualify for Medicaid.. there are programs out there but they are NOT openly promoted.. my mom’s meds were 2500 a month before here insurance with disability kicked in and that took a year.. NOT taking her side.. just saying there’s more than dammit I don’t need those meds

What a beautiful boy. Terrible name but a gorgeous child. He would have fought her too.
I hope they find her competent to stand trial. It was her choice to stop taking her meds.

Bipolar disorder causes people to not take their meds, so the “decision” is heavily influenced by the mental illness itself. Some people are addicted to the mania.

She seems like she might be a perfect candidate for the mental health facility in prison from everything I read in the article.

If this is true then I have a little bit of sympathy, but I still feel she should be punished for this tragedy. Resources exist. It’s a matter of seeking them out. We all have the Internet. She could have sought help in secret if stigma were an issue.

Unless they could not afford them, no disability, and I know she didn’t qualify for Medicaid.. there are programs out there but they are NOT openly promoted.. my mom’s meds were 2500 a month

That’s absolutely fucking absurd. My little brother has bipolar I and he doesn’t have health insurance. Canada is known to have some of the highest prescription drug prices in the world. I pay for his meds; it’s 165$ a month for a mood stabilizer, an antipsychotic, and an antidepressant. All brand name. Y’all need to fucking revolt or something. Absurd.

My mother was horrible before meds.. once we could get her on programs I ran myself into the ground finding while working full time raising two kids loosing a son and a dying father and her disability kicked in my mother has NEVER ONCE quit her meds.. adjustments yes but quit NO.. they didn’t own a computer and my mother has a flip phone she still can’t turn on! Lol

I NEVER said she wasn’t guilty or didn’t have a part in paying for her crimes she admits she knew right from wrong just MAYBE some factors.. you guys are reaching.. I am not a bleeding heart

Last edited:
Why the fuck did that man let her watch the kid alone anyways?! Obviously she has issues that her significant other would notice. Too bad she didn't die instead of that innocent kid, and fuck that sperm donor.
Wow way to jump to blaming the father. You don’t have any idea what signs or symptoms of distress the mother was exhibiting. And sperm donor? Really? He is her husband and the kids father who was at work providing for his family.

There are a lot of unknowns at this time.

I think a parent who knowingly has a child with a person with a significant mental health issue should safe guard their children.

I would think that the husband/father would know the signals that his wife is off her medication and that the child was old enough to report to the father what is going on in the home.

Why was this child specifically targeted and if there were financial issues going on in the home.

If this is true then I have a little bit of sympathy, but I still feel she should be punished for this tragedy. Resources exist. It’s a matter of seeking them out. We all have the Internet. She could have sought help in secret if stigma were an issue.

That’s absolutely fucking absurd. My little brother has bipolar I and he doesn’t have health insurance. Canada is known to have some of the highest prescription drug prices in the world. I pay for his meds; it’s 165$ a month for a mood stabilizer, an antipsychotic, and an antidepressant. All brand name. Y’all need to fucking revolt or something. Absurd.
I also am bipolar. My Latuda alone is $1300 before I meet my deductible. Not even counting my other meds. The shit is crazy here.
Post automatically merged:

I fucking hate bipolar people so fucking much. Nutter trash the lot of em. CAGE THEM.
We hate your over-opinionated, everybody is scum ass too

Unless they could not afford them, no disability, and I know she didn’t qualify for Medicaid.. there are programs out there but they are NOT openly promoted.. my mom’s meds were 2500 a month before here insurance with disability kicked in and that took a year.. NOT taking her side.. just saying there’s more than dammit I don’t need those meds
Yes I didn't consider that. In Australia so it's not an issue here.
Post automatically merged:

Bipolar disorder causes people to not take their meds, so the “decision” is heavily influenced by the mental illness itself. Some people are addicted to the mania.

She seems like she might be a perfect candidate for the mental health facility in prison from everything I read in the article.
Yes I know more than a few bi.polar people who struggle with missing the high of mania. I can see that possibly happening

November 13, 2019
The Platte County Prosecutor’s Office will seek the death penalty for the mother accused of drowning her son before attempting to jump off a bridge to commit suicide.

Aushena Warren, 32, is charged with first-degree murder and abandonment of a corpse in the 2017 case. Warren remains in custody in the Platte County Detention Center on $500,000 cash-only bond.

Last week, assistant prosecuting attorney Mark Gibson gave notice the state will seek the death penalty. The case is set for a two-week jury trial before judge James Van Amburg starting Sept. 21, 2020.

Warren was charged with murder after a grand jury indictment in the death of her eight-year-old son, Audrick Warren. The previous charge of abandonment of a corpse was filed because Warren didn’t call 911 or report the drowning.

According to court documents, another resident of the home went to work the morning of June 13, 2017, leaving Warren, the victim and another, younger child in the house. At about 11:30 a.m., the resident received a FaceTime call from the other child, stating Warren had left the house. The resident returned home and found the victim deceased in the bathtub. The resident moved the child out of the water and into a nearby bedroom, calling for assistance.

He found a note from Warren explaining that the family’s financial struggles were her fault and how she feared the children would be taken by the state and given up for adoption.

When she left the house, Warren traveled to the Kit Bond Bridge, where she jumped in a suicide attempt. Warren survived the fall because authorities were in the area conducting training at the time and were able to rescue her.

According to court documents, Warren said after her rescue, but before the boy was found dead, that she is bi-polar and had not been taking her medication. She told authorities the children “were at home,” but when asked if the victim had been left in charge, she became emotional and ended the interview.

In an interview with the second child, he stated that he heard “a head bump” three times that morning. He also said Warren gave him and his brother “pink medicine” that morning, and that she was running water in the bathroom for a long time.

After leaving his room, the boy found his older brother “asleep” under the water with a red face and purple hands. He said his mother left the house looking sad without telling him where she was going. The boy used the cell phone she left behind to call for help.

According to court documents, an autopsy revealed a contusion on the back of the victim’s skull. The cause of death was determined to be drowning.

Last edited:
A Platte County woman who killed one son and attempted to kill her other child pleaded guilty to second degree murder and assault.

Aushena Warren, 33, admitted she drowned her 8-year-old son in a bathtub of their home in June 2017. She also admitted that she tried to kill her 6-year-old son the same morning. The crimes happened while Warren’s husband was at work. The couple’s 6-year-old called his father for help, but he didn’t get home in time.

Investigators said that after Warren killed her son, she drove to the Kit Bond Bridge and jumped. The Kansas City Fire Department happened to be conducting water rescue training near the bridge, and rescued her.

Investigators said they searched Warren’s cell phone and determined that she used it to look up information about drownings and suffocating someone. They also said Warren left a note at the crime scene apologizing and claiming she killed her son because of a “financial crisis.”

Prosecutor Eric Zahnd said the plea spared her surviving child from testifying against her at trial. Zahnd said he also plans to ask a judge to sentence Warren to life in prison.

A woman who drowned her 8-year-old son in a bathtub and tried to suffocate a second child before jumping off a bridge in Kansas City was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison.

Aushena Warren, 34, pleaded guilty in August to second-degree murder and first-degree assault.

Investigators said Warren drowned her 8-year-old son on June 17, 2017, and tried to smother her 6-year-old son. The children's father was at work at the time and came home after receiving a FaceTime call from the 6-year-old, prosecutors said.
Warren left a note apologizing and blaming her actions on the family's financial situation, which she feared would force she and her husband to give the children to family or “the system.”

Warren’s attorney argued for probation, saying that she had mental health issues.

Warren was sentenced to life for the 8-year-old's death and 15 years in prison for assault of the 6-year-old child.

As someone who struggles daily with a mental disorder - and I take my meds when I have them - it's tragic this boy died at the hands of someone who needed help and did not receive it. There are so many instances like this where someone who was ill did not receive the help they desperately needed, and people died.

Latest posts

Back