• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

LFODBiker

Trusted Member
Awareness of the 'Dangers of selfies' doesn't seem to be making any impact.

Stupidity is forever I guess...

Source -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-27th-floor-balcony-plunges-death-Panama.html
Shocking moment mom, 27, taking a selfie on 27th floor balcony loses her balance and plunges to death in Panama
  • The 27-year-old was named locally as Sandra Manuela Da Costa Macedo
  • A friend said that she was a mother-of-two and in Panama to teach children
  • Paramedics rushed to the scene in a popular neighbourhood of Panama City
This is the shocking moment a woman falls to her death from the 27th floor of a high-rise block as she loses her balance while taking a selfie.

The 27-year-old, named locally as Sandra Manuela Da Costa Macedo, went over a balcony railing she was leaning against as she took the snap.

Sickening video footage showed her still holding the selfie stick as she plunged to the ground below.

An onlooker filming the tragedy shouted: 'She's mad, there she goes, look at her, look at her, she's fallen.'

<...>

The woman, initially identified as a Portuguese holidaymaker who had just arrived in Panama although a woman describing herself as a friend later took to social media to say she was a mother-of-two who had gone to the country to work as a teacher, was already dead when they arrived.

Construction workers on a neighbouring tower block are said to have yelled at her to get down from the railing she was half-sat on before her death plunge, but strong winds blowing at the time meant she couldn't hear their warning cries.

<...>

A recent study by the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi found 259 people died while attempting to take a selfie between October 2011 and November 2017.

Findings were published in the Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care.

The study said more than 72 percent of the deaths were men, and drowning was the most common cause of death during a selfie-taking attempt.

Attachments

• 2018-10-14_091655.jpg
    2018-10-14_091655.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 2,545
Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t remember which tower, but I sat on a railing on the top of the World Trade Center for a pic back in 1990. Fortunately for my clutzy self, it was set way back from the actual edge.

PANAMA CITY - A 27-year-old mother-of-two has died after she fell 27 stories from a high-rise balcony in Panama, and the incident was recorded on video.

Sandra Manuela Da Costa Macedo was from Portugal and had recently moved to Panama City to work as a teacher. On Friday she was visiting a friend at a high-rise when she decided to sit on the balcony railing to take a selfie.

Workers in a nearby building where filming her at the time and trying to warn her to get off the railing. As the person was recording, Macedo either lost her balance and topples backward over the rail. She was pronounced dead at the seen when she Coyote'd on the pavement below.

Sandra Manuela Da Costa Macedo.jpg

Here's the video. It's not graphic or anything, but it is of a woman falling to her death.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Attachments

• 2018-10-14_091655.jpg
    2018-10-14_091655.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 255
People fall to their deaths. off balconies regularly in Surfers Paradise. Was at least a couple a year when I lived there. One off the building I lived in.

Is there any photo of her on the railing before the fall?
It's rare for a person to take just one selfie, and I can't see how sitting on the railing was going to improve what was probably just a cleavage shot under the guise of "look at this view"!
Maybe she wanted to be Instagram famous!

Back