• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Their apartment door was locked, there was no sign of a break-in or of violence, and they were not poisoned, authorities say.

A woman and her twin daughters appear to have starved to death in Vienna, police have said.The 45-year-old mother and her children, both 18, were found at a municipal apartment in the Austrian capital's Floridsdorf district on Tuesday.

The door to the home was locked and there was no sign of a break-in or of violence.

A post-mortem examination suggested they had died at the end of March or the beginning of April and had starved.

There was no sign that they had been poisoned.

Full Story:

Attachments

• vienna.jpg
    vienna.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 1,660
not buying it, someone had to have had them somewhere else then took the dead bodies and locked them in the apartment. Starvation is gradual and painful no fuckign way could three people willing sit there over a months time and starve to death
Plus someone would've heard them banging and screaming if they were locked in, or one of them must have had a phone to call for help, and importantly, someone would've smelled the dead rotting bodies. I agree, they were brought there after they were dead. Will be interesting to find out what the story is.

'It is not always possible to explain everything completely,' officers told Wein Orf, adding only that it appears that the women had intended to die.
Inside, they found the body of the mother in the hallway, with the twin girls found together on the sofa, Oe24 reports.

There was no sign of violence on the bodies, no sign of forced entry, and an autopsy revealed they had not been poisoned.

The only indication of their fate - later confirmed by an autopsy - was that there was no food in the house.

Investigations are ongoing.

Plus someone would've heard them banging and screaming if they were locked in, or one of them must have had a phone to call for help, and importantly, someone would've smelled the dead rotting bodies. I agree, they were brought there after they were dead. Will be interesting to find out what the story is.

Due to the state of decomposition, there'd be no way to tell for certain if their bodies were moved, as full sloughing of the skin would have happened, along with bodily fluids, and all livor mortis signs of original death positions would be long gone.
Also, as you pointed out, the odor from 3 decomposing bodies in a single apartment of a complex would have been overwhelming to other nearby residents, in addition to the flies that would have found their way through every crack/crevice in the apartment, laid their eggs and multiplied into hundreds within weeks of death, even in the cooler climes of Austria.

I had a dear friend pass naturally in June of '97, and it was 5 days before she was found in her waterbed- now this is Florida and much warmer, but the neighbors knew when they came to the door by just the odor and the flies, that it was necessary to call 911, and did not attempt to open her unlocked front door.
As soon as the call came out, I responded not as an EMS technician, but as a family friend, and did as much of the clean up as I could with her ex-husband to spare her adult children (also dear friends) from seeing and remembering their mother in the condition she was found.
Fortunately, she was friends with our local Chief of police, and he ID'd her remains as soon as she was found, sparing her entire family from such a horrifying ordeal.
This was only 5 days, with her A/C at 70f, and all skin had sloughed, with over 2 inches of body decomposition fluids completely covering her master bedroom/bathroom floors (a normal mattress would've absorbed most of the fluids, but *waterbed*).

After going without food for 7-10 days, the hunger pain stops, and the body greatly weakens as it begins to break down and absorb remaining muscle mass to try to survive; the Daily Mail article that @Turd Fergusen supplied stated that the girls were somewhat "slow" in school, perhaps the mother gradually starved them and then herself?

@Siobhan you are a true friend

Thanks @Ripley , but I felt I was just doing right by the people I loved and who loved me, they've always been a 2nd family to me for over 35 years, and we spent this past Christmas with my late friend's daughter and her brother (my siblings from another mother), along with her beautiful granddaughter and two great-grandchildren she never lived to meet.
When I was cleaning her bedroom/bathroom the day the call came in, I joked in her voice, "Siobhan, you know that's not the way I clean my toilets!", and everyone had a laugh - we all had to joke some and laugh at old memories that day, or we'd have just sat around and cried.

Thanks for the info @Siobhan

It's still such a wierd case. The fact that there was zero food in the house.....

I think the total absence of food is highly telling, it seems like more than just running out of groceries, almost along the lines of mom intentionally throwing all foodstuffs and even condiments away to insure they'd all die from starvation.
I'd like to see what the autopsies reveal on the approximate times of death, and if the two daughters by chance died with any significant time distance before the mother.
Your article also mentioned the mother had been hospitalized for depression and possible mental illness, so it's not beyond the improbable to think she may have slowly starved her girls for months before starving herself.

Back