• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
I had no idea they couldn't drink coffee!

SALT LAKE CITY — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has issued a warning to members that coffee is prohibited no matter how fancy the name, that vaping is banned despite the alluring flavors and that marijuana is outlawed unless prescribed by “competent” doctors.

The new guidance in the August issue of a church youth magazine does not include fundamental changes to the religion’s strict health code, but the clarifications are significant and seem to reflect growing concern about young Latter-day Saints’ adherence to the rules.

The article says it aims to clear up issues that could be confusing for young people within the religion’s “Word of Wisdom,” a set of rules about what foods and drinks are good for members and what substances they should avoid.

Full Article:
https://nypost.com/2019/08/16/mormon-church-warning-beware-of-those-fancy-coffee-drinks/

From what I understand they can't drink "Hot Drinks" so maybe a nice iced mocha latte might be ok? I mean it's all so confusing...magic undies and all
They drink plenty of hot cocoa and teas. They don't drink caffeinated tea, but plenty of other teas. There is a shrub native to the high desert nicknamed called Mormon tea because LDS people used it a lot. Also widely used by natives and pioneers.

And the magic undies are just old fashioned underwear like people wore in the 19th century.

When Kraft stopped making Postum a decade ago it hit the Mormons hardest. (And me, I loved that stuff with evaporated milk.)

Last edited:
I have a friend who is LDS. She's pretty strict, doesn't drink, smoke, dance, ingest any forbidden substances etc. but my word can she curse up a storm. She knows words that would embarrass a sailor. But as she says, the Bible only specifically forbids us to take the Lord's name in vain so can't argue with that really.

Children are allowed to dance ..

My old boss is Mormon, he drinks hot chocolate, no coffee, no tea and he doesn't swear, ever ..

I never understood why no coffee or tea, but caffeinated soda was fine. Apart from the caffeine, what part pf coffee and tea could they object to?

Back