• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A man who was released in 2015 after he was judged criminally insane over an attack on an elderly person has been arrested in the death of a 10-year-old San Antonio girl.

Paul Anthony Bateman, 32, was in Bexar County Jail on Tuesday with bail set at $200,000 bond.

Officers responded to a home for a report of a person who was sick or unresponsive. San Antonio Police Sgt. Michelle Ramos said first responders pronounced the girl, identified as Reanne Olivarez, dead at the scene. It appeared to officers the child had suffered blunt force trauma to the head and chest though no official cause of death has been released.

Investigators determined Bateman was watching Reanne and a 1-year-old sibling while their parents were at work. Bateman is a relative of the girl's common-law stepfather, Ramos said.

Ramos said Bateman didn’t go into much detail about Reanne’s death when he talked with investigators.

Last edited:
I thought if they were a they were a threat to society we could institutionalize people?!
We are sorely lacking in psych wards— maybe he wasn’t considered dangerous enough.

In the late 80s, there was a push for de-institutionalization. It was supposed to be followed by robust mental health programs in the community but that didn’t fully materialize. My town is near an old state psychiatric hospital— our homeless population shot up overnight. It was awful.

State law does not allow judges to keep defendants institutionalized longer than their prison sentences would be.

I thought if they were a they were a threat to society we could institutionalize people?!

State laws vary, there is no uniform national legal code, and since State mental hospitals were shuttered across the country in the 60's-70's, unless you qualify to be Manson's cellmate, you're on the street or in jail.

State laws vary, there is no uniform national legal code, and since State mental hospitals were shuttered across the country in the 60's-70's, unless you qualify to be Manson's cellmate, you're on the street or in jail.
It’s Texas - my GREAT state....
Post automatically merged:

I wonder what he was originally incarcerated for prior to his release in 2015.
And just look at that face. If that mugshot doesn't scream "babysitter material" then I don't know what does.
Attacked his dad or grandfather and they begged to have him helped long family and him having EXTREME long history mental illness. Tested every year entire sentence .. deemed insane and then released upon completion of sentencing.

Last edited:
We are sorely lacking in psych wards— maybe he wasn’t considered dangerous enough.

In the late 80s, there was a push for de-institutionalization. It was supposed to be followed by robust mental health programs in the community but that didn’t fully materialize. My town is near an old state psychiatric hospital— our homeless population shot up overnight. It was awful.

I dont know why we need pysch wards to house these nutters. A cage will do the trick just fine.

Woulda prevented this.

If the family knew he was a damage case, they are 100% to blame as well.

A 37-year-old man avoided a jury trial Thursday by pleading guilty in connection with the death of a 10-year-old girl.

Paul Bateman was charged with murder in connection with the fatal incident on Aug. 6, 2018.
According to the Bexar County District Attorney’s Office, the child’s parents temporarily left her and her 1-year-old sister in Bateman’s care. The defendant told police that he had blacked out, found the child dead, and had no idea what had happened. The child died of blunt-force trauma to the head and chest. The younger child was unharmed.

Bateman appeared in the 379th District Court on Thursday and pleaded guilty to the murder charge. A judge then sentenced him to 35 years in prison.

As part of the plea deal, Bateman will also serve five years in prison for a charge of assault of a public servant, which will be served concurrently.

The defendant also admitted guilt in a separate assault of a public servant case stemming from the same incident, which was taken into consideration by the court in determining the sentence, the DA’s office said.

Bateman had previously been found not guilty by reason of insanity in a prior case and had been institutionalized for 10 years in a state hospital, the DA’s Office said. The issue of insanity would have played a role in the litigation had the case proceeded to trial.

Back