• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

swivel

Ream Me Up, Scotty
Bold Member!
The manuscript for the third book is almost complete. Another two weeks of work, and it should be fit to send off to my editor (Lizard). Which means it's time to start playing around with the cover.

Here's what my wife and I did tonight:

First, the set-up:

24y4b5c.jpg

bc35t.jpg

2cfw2og.jpg

1i070w.jpg

if7t4k.jpg

Then a few pics:

hrg3ew.jpg

Here's what I've got for a potential cover:

8z1qpd.jpg

Here's a link to a bigger image, in case you want to see more detail and offer feedback: http://i42.tinypic.com/2qkotb8.jpg

swivel. Holy shit. Okay, the potential cover is fucking cool. But the photos of how you set it up are nothing but AWESOME. I have nothing to give you but a bow for creativity and staging.

BTW, Lizard currently is working on swivel's first non-Molly novel. It's freaking amazing.

At random times, I think of questions I'd ask Swivel about writing a novel (i'm a sad sad individual)... now I have questions about grape jelly + ketchup + oil = cool blood mimic

At random times, I think of questions I'd ask Swivel about writing a novel (i'm a sad sad individual)... now I have questions about grape jelly + ketchup + oil = cool blood mimic

The Worcestershire sauce is off-screen in those pics. ;)

And PLEASE, ask away about the process. There's nothing I more enjoy rambling on and on about. With the exception of my dog, perhaps.

get me started on my dog and i may never shut up!

How do you start a novel? I don't know why, but that has always puzzled me. Does it start for you of its own accord? Does it begin with an idea, or a character, or a message? Or do you just start at the literal beginning and let the story flow as it will?

I'm sort of going with stream of consciousness type questions, otherwise I will just sit here for hours trying to figure out how to word one specific question and never actually ask a damned thing.

Did you wake up one day thinking you should be a writer, or have you always expected to be? Or, are you just doing what comes naturally? For instance, I sketch, because I enjoy it, not because I intend on being an artist.

*deep breath*

I may be back with more, when I've had a decent sleep...

That cover (and the process) - wicked cool. And swivel, just so you know, I haven't mentioned anything about the Land of Light yet because I haven't read it. Not because I have been reading OTHER books (not cheating on you - LOL!), but because I have been busy with my kids and their activities. I expect to start it soon.

And I thought the feet were scary to touch! I can't imagine how my co-workers will feel when I'm eating lunch in the break room and they see bloody hands!

And I thought the feet were scary to touch! I can't imagine how my co-workers will feel when I'm eating lunch in the break room and they see bloody hands!

I vote you tell 'em the whole book is about Molly's first period. :pound:

Swivel, awesome job. I love the new cover!! One question.....when will it be out so I can buy it?

I guess you can call me a Molly Fyde junkie...lol

get me started on my dog and i may never shut up!

How do you start a novel? I don't know why, but that has always puzzled me. Does it start for you of its own accord? Does it begin with an idea, or a character, or a message? Or do you just start at the literal beginning and let the story flow as it will?

I'm sort of going with stream of consciousness type questions, otherwise I will just sit here for hours trying to figure out how to word one specific question and never actually ask a damned thing.

Did you wake up one day thinking you should be a writer, or have you always expected to be? Or, are you just doing what comes naturally? For instance, I sketch, because I enjoy it, not because I intend on being an artist.

*deep breath*

I may be back with more, when I've had a decent sleep...

Sorry to take so long to respond, but I spent the weekend rebuilding a busted computer. Just now getting things reinstalled and reorganized.

When I start a book, it's generally after having thought about the plot for weeks or months. I will lay in bed at night and daydream in that book's universe. I'll have conversations as one character with other characters. I'll go through scenes that will never make it into the book, but help create the personalities of each character. During this period, I will jot notes in a Word document, write sketches of little scenes, and begin outlining the overall plot.

My outlines are pretty detailed in structure, but loose in content. That is, they headline what each scene is about (where, what, when, who), but that's it. When I go to write the scene, things become more fluid. Surprises pop up. Dialog is free-ranging and dynamic. But everything is moving to the end of that scene and toward the next one, so I'm ushering along a mob that remains lightly out of control.

Did I wake up one day and think I'd become a writer? No. I wake up every morning shocked that I've become a writer. Which is weird, because I've always wanted to and always dreamed of becoming a writer. And I've always written. Short stories for contests, the beginnings of dozens of books, letters to family and friends, awesome forum posts on DD, book reviews that weren't too shabby. Just like your sketching, it starts as something you enjoy, a compulsion, really, but if you chase it, it becomes something more.

What's funny is that, looking back, I see how I could have started this ten years ago. Would the books have been as good? Probably not, but I would be a whole lot better at it by now. What was holding me back for so long is not knowing that I just needed to motivate myself to push through to the end of every story. That's the key. Write your way through to the end. The four or five rounds of revisions will fix the things that are making you stop and doubt yourself.

NurseRonda: You'll have to start bugging Lizard on the release date. I'm almost done with my final edit, so the deadline's on her, now!

Lizard: :p

Hey, D'D folks who have read MF & the BoB--swivel is making good progress on MF & the Fight for Peace. Because the sales for the Kindle edition have been good, he's hoping that those who've read the book will post a review on Amazon. Those who do get a sneak peak at the Fight for Peace. Read more here http://www.hughhowey.com/?p=1199 or just get your ass over to Amazon and review BoB!

I wish either I had money to buy these books... or that Broward County Library knew who Hugh Howey is.
I'd prefer my own copies, but not to be for right now.

I wish either I had money to buy these books... or that Broward County Library knew who Hugh Howey is.
I'd prefer my own copies, but not to be for right now.

<gives Amazon a great big raspberry>

Download "Kindle for PC" (free), and you can buy the first in the series for $2.99. The 2nd and 3rd? $3.99 each.

So shaddap and go do it!

Lizard. I wanna. I really wanna. But I am not earning ANY money, not even unemployment.
Fuck, I am such a mooch right now my mom is kind enough to buy my cigarettes.
I am SUCH a bum. I hate this. Can't wait to get to Cali and get a job.

I just read the first 31 pages of Molly Fyde and the Fight for Peace. Loved loved LOVED it!

I just read the first 31 pages of Molly Fyde and the Fight for Peace. Loved loved LOVED it!

OMFG I cannot wait to read it. I am at the end of Blood of Billions and I find myself rereading parts cause I don't want the fun and the mystery to end. Goddamn Swivel can write a good book. Loving it.

OMFG I cannot wait to read it. I am at the end of Blood of Billions and I find myself rereading parts cause I don't want the fun and the mystery to end. Goddamn Swivel can write a good book. Loving it.

Go review and get the first pages of the FFP. You won't be sorry, I promise.

I mean, I say that knowing that a certain lizard creature figures largely in those first few pages...

Lizard. I wanna. I really wanna. But I am not earning ANY money, not even unemployment.
Fuck, I am such a mooch right now my mom is kind enough to buy my cigarettes.
I am SUCH a bum. I hate this. Can't wait to get to Cali and get a job.
Oh, FFS, Amazon. Goddammit. I'm, like, bonded to you in some sick way. Download the reader and let me know when you have. I'll fucking buy you the first book.

OMFG I just finished Blood of Billions today. Goddammit. What a great story. So many times in the book I was saying..."Huh??? What the fuck???" Damn, what a delicious write. The ending left me in awe. I must have that 4th book soon!!!! I may have to read 1-3 again.

Hugh Howey...thank you for such an epic adventure. I feel like I am lost like in the Lord of the Rings...but instead of being in Middle Earth, I am all around the fucking galaxy with Molly Fyde. Love, love, love your books, man. :hello:

Oh, FFS, Amazon. Goddammit. I'm, like, bonded to you in some sick way. Download the reader and let me know when you have. I'll fucking buy you the first book.

Still waiting to hear that Amazon has downloaded the reader...

Latest posts

Back