• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
CORONADO, Calif. - The Spreckels Mansion in Coronado is on the market, and a local realtor told 10News he believes the tragic events that happened at the home two years ago won't affect its sale.

The home, considered one of San Diego County's most famous properties, bears little resemblance to how it looked when the incident in 2011 took place.

The owners who bought the home from pharmaceutical tycoon Jonah Shacknai spent several million dollars to give the mansion a complete makeover.

The idea behind the makeover was to bring back the home's original glory.

John D. Spreckels built the home in 1901. He had inherited a sugar empire from his father, and then made millions more on his own.

Caylee Pinsonneault, the interior designer, said the plan started out simple, and then grew and grew.

"We were just going to do some paint and a little bit of remodeling of the bathrooms and it kind of snowballed each … a few months later, let's do the kitchen; OK, let's do the pool …," she said.

The pool and adjoining Jacuzzi are new, and they are located in between the main house and the guest house.

It was at the guest house were Shacknai's brother, Adam, was staying when he found Rebecca Zahau hanging from a balcony.

Some may think Zahau's death and the fact that Shacknai's young son, Max, died several days after falling from a staircase at the home might be a negative when it comes to selling the house.

Realtor Scott Aurich, however, said that isn't the case.

"The people looking to buy this house think of it as … what they can use it for and how it fits their needs, and the location and the opportunity that's here because it's a one-of-a-kind asset," said Aurich.

Other brand-new features at the home include a new roof and a state-of-the-art kitchen. The master suite on the second floor was completely redone from two bedrooms into one with a large master bathroom.

One more floor up, what used to be a storage attic has been transformed into a home theater, along with a pool table.

The home's listing price: $16.9 million.

Aurich said that price is actually a bargain.
[...]
http://www.10news.com/news/spreckels-mansion-in-coronado-remodeled-up-for-sale-051613

The family of a woman whose nude, bound body was found hanging in a Coronado mansion has filed a $10 million lawsuit claiming she was murdered.
[...]

The lawsuit names Jonah Shacknai's brother, ex-wife and her twin sister. It alleges that Adam Shacknai, Dina Shacknai and Nina Romano "participated in some manner in the planning, implementation, execution and subsequent concealment of the scheme to murder" Zahau.

The suit claims the three were responsible for Zahau's death, but doesn't provide any specific evidence against them.
http://www.10news.com/news/family-of-rebecca-zahau-files-wrongful-death-suit-07132013

Hopefully, the Zahau family wins ..

I agree with this lawsuit and also believe Adam's brother and ex-wife and sister were responsible for Rebecca's murder.
Her death was definitely not a suicide ..

I disagree. Her footprints clearly show she walked herself to the banister, and lifted herself up. If she had been carried or forced to walk to the banister her footbrints would have indicated that. Her fingerprints were on the ropes and the tools that she used to cut the ropes, no one elses. It's been proven that a person is capable of tying themselves up and hanging themselves so why would it be so unbelievable that she could? I would be extremely surprised if anyone else was involved.

Actually, there isn't one shred of evidence pointing away from the suicide theory. The only reason people think she was murdered is because they can't grasp the fact that a person can tie themselves up like that, even though as I already mentioned, it's been proven that they can.

Last edited:
I solidly think it was murder anyway you look at it, be it actual or drugged or whatever I also don't think the kid was an accident, just a strong feeling there on both of them

. Despite the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department determining her death to be a suicide at the time, a civil jury in San Diego awarded her family $5 million in damages after they found Shacknai responsible for her death, according to ABC News

I think he's guilty as shit, something weird was going on there & a buddy system gign within agencies that would make cases concerning people like him into a bad monty python skit with the boy having knives through the back and rope around the neck hog tied up & them claiming natural causes

I think he's guilty as shit, something weird was going on there & a buddy system gign within agencies that would make cases concerning people like him into a bad monty python skit with the boy having knives through the back and rope around the neck hog tied up & them claiming natural causes
I think the jury thinks so too or they wouldn't have awarded her family any money at all. 5+ million speaks volumes.

I don't think her family is gold diggers, I think they are trying to get some justice in this because i seriously do think she was murdered 7 found the kids death hinky. This is not how anyone would kill themselves & these guys have enough clout 7 the area is known to cater to it's connected rich

Back