• You must be logged in to see or use the chatbox

Continuing our tradition of detailing every horrible workplace accident we find, we have one that we haven't posted about before.

It happened in in South Lyon on Saturday at the Michigan Seamless Tube where a 54-year-old man died after falling into a tank of sulfuric acid.

No details on how the man fell in the tank that used in the manufacturing process and has a temperature of 160 degrees, but he did not die instantly.

According to reports, his co-workers were able to pull him out and wash him off, but unfortunately, the poor guy suffered burns to 100 percent of his body and would die from his injuries.

The man's name has not been released but it is being reported he left behind a wife and daughter.

South Lyon Police Chief Chris Sovik said they do not believe the accident involved foul play and have contacted the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration to look into the incident.

"We don’t believe there was any foul play or criminal matter to investigate," Sovik stated. "It is closed on our end. MIOSHA will take it from here."

Ironically, the company has a sign in front of the business that states: "Fooling around on the job is a job for fools. No Injuries. No Lost Time."

So let's add falling into vat of sulfuric acid to our list of horrible ways to die at work, along with getting pulled into a tire shredder, getting sucked into your own street sweeper, getting ground into pellets by a recycling machine, drowning in vat of molasses, suffocating inside a cryochamber, being cooked inside an industrial tuna steamer, drowning in cow shit, pinto beans or chocolate, being chewed up inside meat grinders, getting stuck inside industrial dryers, flattened by paper rolling machines, dying from exploding beer kegs, and multiple instances of being pulled into a wood chipper.

 
Last edited:

Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!


Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!


Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!


Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!


Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!


Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!

ChaosKitty

Queen Bitch From Hell
Bold Member!
I used to work at electronics company where we made chrome plates to etch for transistors we worked with straight chromic sulfuric and formaldehyde, the stoner idiot I worked with didn't attach his rack of plates right after they came out of the sulfuric & when he went to put them into the formaldehyde they busted down splashing the formaldehyde with the residue up all over me and and soaking through my lab coat [my secret love and] owner of company started ripping my clothes off while I was squeaking and running like a cat from him. He had a bottle of milk of magnesia he was trying to pour on me and did and then threw another bottle at me and let me run into the bathroom to take the rest of my clothes off and rinse off and marinate in milk of magnesia I washed really good and stayed marinaded for about 15 minutes then rinsed and had to deal with wearing another couple of lab coats as one wasn't enough for me in my mind [I was dying of humiliation] . I had burn holes to the bone just from the after formaldehyde with watered down sulfuric mix and my clothes were pretty much disintegrated. He had gone out and bought me a t shirt and new pair of pants. Any hair it had touched it had burned off, If you ever were gonna murder someone that is the shit to us as it will eat through/up bone & leave no trace
 
Last edited:

Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!

Benighted

My brain hurts
Bold Member!
Back in the 1940's the English killer John George Haigh killed several people and literally dissolved their corpses in vats of sulfuric acid. The bodies turned to sludge which he then poured down the drain. They only found a few false teeth and IIRC a pair of earrings from one of the victims. So yeah... pretty caustic.
 

Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!

Valorous Tone

New Member
Just maybe think about getting a lid for that vat, or harness the workers. Then again we do need stories about stupid shits.
This was my confusion! I would think that a vat of sulphuric acid would be exceedingly difficult to fall in because OSHA (the people now looking into it) probably have 30 regulations around shit like, maybe don't have the ladder by the open pit of sulphuric acid. Maybe keep the scorpion tanks in a different building from the mutagen gas containers. that kind of shit.
 

Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!


Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!

Fellofftheporch

Always Missing Something
Bold Member!
Back in the 1940's the English killer John George Haigh killed several people and literally dissolved their corpses in vats of sulfuric acid. The bodies turned to sludge which he then poured down the drain. They only found a few false teeth and IIRC a pair of earrings from one of the victims. So yeah... pretty caustic.
The Acid Bath Murderer. One of the first serial killers I read about.
 

Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!


Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!


Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!

QuickSugar

New Member
Continuing our tradition of detailing every horrible workplace accident we find, we have one that we haven't posted about before.

It happened in in South Lyon on Saturday at the Michigan Seamless Tube where a 54-year-old man died after falling into a tank of sulfuric acid.

No details on how the man fell in the tank that used in the manufacturing process and has a temperature of 160 degrees, but he did not die instantly.

According to reports, his co-workers were able to pull him out and wash him off, but unfortunately, the poor guy suffered burns to 100 percent of his body and would die from his injuries.

The man's name has not been released but it is being reported he left behind a wife and daughter.

South Lyon Police Chief Chris Sovik said they do not believe the accident involved foul play and have contacted the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration to look into the incident.

"We don’t believe there was any foul play or criminal matter to investigate," Sovik stated. "It is closed on our end. MIOSHA will take it from here."

Ironically, the company has a sign in front of the business that states: "Fooling around on the job is a job for fools. No Injuries. No Lost Time."

So let's add falling into vat of sulfuric acid to our list of horrible ways to die at work, along with getting pulled into a tire shredder, getting sucked into your own street sweeper, getting ground into pellets by a recycling machine, drowning in vat of molasses, suffocating inside a cryochamber, being cooked inside an industrial tuna steamer, drowning in cow shit, pinto beans or chocolate, being chewed up inside meat grinders, getting stuck inside industrial dryers, flattened by paper rolling machines, dying from exploding beer kegs, and multiple instances of being pulled into a wood chipper.

I thought I was having a bad day until I read this. :(
 

Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!


Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Top