• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
ambulancelights.jpeg

A homeless man with a history of mental illness randomly attacked a 6-year-old boy in front of his grandparent’s house in Queens on Thursday afternoon, seriously injuring the boy, police and sources said.

The child was sitting on the steps of his grandparent’s house in Kew Gardens at about 5 p.m. when the vagrant walked into their driveway, said Rabbi Naftali Portnoy, the boy’s grandfather.

The 35-year-old vagrant then grabbed the child, picked him up and threw him to the concrete, slamming his face on the ground, police said.

His brother rushed into the house and told his grandfather about the attack.

Portnoy called 911 and tailed the vagrant, who was shirtless, while he walked away from the scene down Metropolitan Avenue.

Cops arrived soon after and arrested the suspect, who sat down on the street and said, “I’m bipolar.”

The kid was rushed to Cohen Children’s Medical Center and treated for hemorrhaging to the brain and facial contusions, a source said.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Police say the suspect – Laurance Gendreau – is emotionally disturbed."

"“I went after him, followed him, called 911, and the police found him,” the child’s grandfather, Naftali Portnoy, told CBS2. “His first words out of his mouth, ‘I’m bipolar,’ and something about ‘kill the kid, wanted to kill, I could have killed.'”"

"Portnoy said the boy and his brother were in the driveway waiting for a pizza delivery just before 5 p.m. near Metropolitan Avenue and Lefferts Boulevard in Kew Gardens when a shirtless man slammed the 7-year-old into the ground. His brother ran inside for help."

"“You heard that scream, you knew something serious was going on,” said Portnoy. “It’s a kid that was picked up and smashed to the ground.”"

"“The child is intubated and the child is sedated. We hope and we pray that God’s watching over him and he’ll be OK and that nothing like this happens to anyone,” Portnoy said."

Way too much of this going on. Too many crazies wandering around. Saw one yesterday on YouTube or somewhere. Little girl was in the front yard with her little dog when a man came out of the woods. The dog was barking, of course, but not threatening the man when he kicked it into traffic where it was killed. He then wandered back into the woods.

Police say 35-year-old Lawrence Gendreau walked up to the 7-year-old boy, grabbed him and slammed him to the ground before pushing a second victim.

Gendreau was taken into custody immediately and is charged with assault, harassment and acting in a manner injurious to a child.
Police say that before the attack on the boy, an older woman had her iPad Mini stolen from her hands at Union Turnpike and Austin Street sometime between 3 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.

The iPad Mini was recovered in Gendreau's possession.

In that incident, Gendreau was charged with grand larceny, criminal possession of stolen property and harassment.

"There are people in New York City, and I think most New Yorkers realized that, that whether due to their criminal background or mental health history, that they need to not be on the street to keep all New Yorkers safe," NYPD Commissioner James O'Neill said. "And it's a difficult thing to do. You know, what's the threshold?"

Additionally, police say there was a warrant out for Gendreau's arrest in relation to a missed court date for a January assault arrest.

Authorities say he struck a 72-year-old woman with a chair at a Popeyes location on Lexington Avenue in Kips Bay as he complained about food.

He allegedly struck her in the right knee, causing pain, though she refused medical attention.

Gendreau was charged with two counts of assault, aggravated harassment, attempted assault and harassment.

He was released without bail at the time but then failed to appear in court in February.

Bipolar my fucking ass! I'm bipolar aka human and i would never even on my worst day subject another human or their family to such trauma. I don't care what the situation is either... even if you're homeless and dopesick off heroin, you get your ass out there on that corner or make your money in a way that doesn't victimize anyone else.
I can't say exactly what was going on with this specific asshole but i have some ideas.
One is that he's batshit crazy, but on second thought, crazy doesn't just sit down when the cops come and say hey I'm crazy and have no idea what's happening here so I'm totally not responsible. I feel like true crazies don't have the presence of mind to preplan their excuse.
So maybe it's more like some 'I'm bored and or tweaking and no one ever bats an eye when i push to see where my boundaries are so let's see what happens when i do this' kinda shit.
Who the eff knows?

The family of a 6-year-old boy who police say was attacked by an emotionally disturbed homeless man in Queens last month is now talking about that horrible day.

Jeremy Portnoy was outside his grandfather’s home waiting for a pizza when a stranger picked him up and threw him to the ground on his head. The family says he was unconscious and could not speak.

Now, the boy is finally recovering and his family spoke exclusively with CBS2’s Lisa Rozner.

Jeremy is competitive, spunky — a fighter. He doesn’t know how he ended up in critical condition the afternoon of Oct. 10.

“The days we were in the hospital were very hard for him,” Tobi Portnoy, Jeremy’s mother, said.

He was unconscious and intubated, but after about a day, there was a change when a neurologist visited.

“He said, ‘Jeremy, open your eyes!’ and Jeremy cracked his eyes and glared at him and closed them, and I was, like, elated he responded, he heard, he understood,” Tobi Portnoy said.

In just four days, Jeremy regained his speech, was able to walk with assistance and was discharged, but he has two fractures in his skull and now he wears glasses.

“The swelling of the brain affected the muscles in the eye,” which gives him a “wonky” eye, Tobi Portnoy says.

For the last month, Jeremy’s been laying low at home with lots of games and gifts from family, friends and even strangers, like Yankees legends Mariano Rivera and Johnny Daman, who both sent videos to Jeremy.

“Everyone has been saying they’ve been praying for him, and that really, I mean, for me, it’s the only explanation. Everybody’s prayers and everyone’s good thoughts are what got us through this, for sure,” Tobi Portnoy said.

“To me, it’s nothing short of a miracle. As much as you might see and hear all about the bad, but there’s just as much if not more good out there,” said Yaakov Portnoy, Jeremy’s father.

Jeremy says he’s feeling good and “very healthy” now and he just learned from the doctor he gets to go back to school Wednesday.

The suspect in this case, 35-year-old Laurance Gendreau, is still in the hospital awaiting arraignment.
1572994130895.png

Authorities say Gendreau is 'emotionally disturbed' and his brother told the Post that he had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

Gendreau has a lengthy criminal history, and at the time of the attack he was wanted on an open warrant for skipping a court appearance after he assaulted a woman in a Manhattan Popeye's restaurant in January.

Court records show that in the Popeye's incident, he attacked an elderly woman with a chair.

He was charged with felony assault, but prosecutors reduced the charge to a misdemeanor.

Police records show that Gendreau also threatened to 'snap the neck' of a mental health worker several years ago.

Just an hour before the attack on the young boy in Queens, Gendreau stole an 80-year-old woman's iPad in the area, a police source told the Post.
1593097406036.png

Last edited:
Queens man who slammed a 6-year-old boy headfirst into the pavement and fractured the child's skull has been found guilty of attempted murder, prosecutors said.

Jurors convicted Laurence Gendreau, 39, of Richmond Hill, on a slew of charges in a trial that ended Wednesday, authorities said.
Gendreau brutally attacked a boy, 6, who was standing outside his grandparents' Kew Gardens home waiting for a pizza delivery Oct. 10, 2019, prosecutors said.
“This senseless and brutal attack left a young boy seriously injured and a community shocked," said Melinda Katz, district attorney for Queens. "We all deserve to feel safe in our homes and while walking the streets of our neighborhoods."
The attack was part of a daylong spree of violent, erratic behavior by Gendreau, authorities said.

Gendreau stole an iPad that day from an 83-year-old woman's hands after he walked up to and sat next to her outside near Union Turnpike, prosecutors said.

Two hours later, Gendreau walked past the boy and suddenly charged the child, yelling at him, according to a Queens district attorney's office release. He lifted the boy over his head and slammed him down onto the pavement, before he ran off, leaving the child motionless on the ground, prosecutors said.
Gendreau was found guilty of attempted murder in the second degree, first-degree assault, two counts of endangering a child's welfare, fourth-degree grand larceny and criminal possession of stolen property in the fifth degree. He faces up to 25 years in prison when he is sentenced Oct. 12.

Bipolar my fucking ass! I'm bipolar aka human and i would never even on my worst day subject another human or their family to such trauma. I don't care what the situation is either... even if you're homeless and dopesick off heroin, you get your ass out there on that corner or make your money in a way that doesn't victimize anyone else.
I can't say exactly what was going on with this specific asshole but i have some ideas.
One is that he's batshit crazy, but on second thought, crazy doesn't just sit down when the cops come and say hey I'm crazy and have no idea what's happening here so I'm totally not responsible. I feel like true crazies don't have the presence of mind to preplan their excuse.
So maybe it's more like some 'I'm bored and or tweaking and no one ever bats an eye when i push to see where my boundaries are so let's see what happens when i do this' kinda shit.
Who the eff knows?
Same here man, same. I've been manic as fuck, but never did I think "Hmm I'm gonna attack a child" maybe I'd clean my house for 48 hours straight, or max out my credit card... but attacking innocent people never crossed my mind. He's just a piece of shit!
Post automatically merged:

Let's hope he gets the whole 25. Keep his crazy ass off the street for awhile!

Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that Laurence Gendreau was sentenced today to 25 years in prison for attempted murder in connection with the random assault of a 6-year-old boy he lifted over his head and slammed into the ground head-first, fracturing the child’s skull. The boy additionally suffered bleeding on the brain and a collapsed lung as a result of the attack in front of his grandparents’ Kew Gardens home.

District Attorney Katz said: “The brutality displayed by this defendant toward an innocent child is heartbreaking. With this sentence, we have achieved justice for the young boy and his family and taken a dangerous man off of our streets.”

Prison is not a solution for people who are mentally ill, regardless of the crime. Hopefully he will receive treatment somehow. His crimes are terrible and the damage done to all of his victims will last them a lifetime, but if he’s truly bipolar and schizophrenic then he needs to be treated, away from people he would hurt.

Prison is not a solution for people who are mentally ill, regardless of the crime. Hopefully he will receive treatment somehow. His crimes are terrible and the damage done to all of his victims will last them a lifetime, but if he’s truly bipolar and schizophrenic then he needs to be treated, away from people he would hurt.
That's what we used to do. Then they emptied the loony bins and for decades we've GMO'd and big pHARMa'd millions, while wrecking America economically, by occupying the world and over-legislating everything and dumbing down and infantilizing the populace, through useless schooling and excessive, vile entertainment and limitless, Federal Reserve-driven credit.

But the pendulum always returns.

Actually mental illness does not excuse a person from respecting the laws. There is a difference between mental insanity vs criminal insanity. Even if someone is delusional and/or receiving command hallucinations to harm someone they can still be held criminally accountable. If they understand that harming a person is wrong their mental illness does not excuse them. I've actually been called as an expert witness about similar situations.

There really isn't a place to keep him away from people he could hurt. I've been choked by a patient (who literally didn't understand what he was doing and I made sure others understood that so he wasn't charged), nurses have been maimed and MHTs have been severely injured by mentally unwell patients. Some of these were innocent people and some of these were simply assholes who used their diagnosis to get away with harming others. Prison is for the assholes who also have mental illness and hide behind that diagnosis.

Actually mental illness does not excuse a person from respecting the laws. There is a difference between mental insanity vs criminal insanity. Even if someone is delusional and/or receiving command hallucinations to harm someone they can still be held criminally accountable. If they understand that harming a person is wrong their mental illness does not excuse them. I've actually been called as an expert witness about similar situations.

There really isn't a place to keep him away from people he could hurt. I've been choked by a patient (who literally didn't understand what he was doing and I made sure others understood that so he wasn't charged), nurses have been maimed and MHTs have been severely injured by mentally unwell patients. Some of these were innocent people and some of these were simply assholes who used their diagnosis to get away with harming others. Prison is for the assholes who also have mental illness and hide behind that diagnosis.
I agree. And I do understand there’s a difference between criminal insanity and mental illness. But my point is that chucking them in prison shouldn’t be the go-to solution. If this guy really is mentally ill AND that illness prompted his deranged behavior then prison might not be the best solution. But as a society we have downplayed the need for places to treat and house the mentally unstable, until something happens and then we start vacillating and wringing our hands about what to do. Everyone loses, including the mentally challenged.

I agree. And I do understand there’s a difference between criminal insanity and mental illness. But my point is that chucking them in prison shouldn’t be the go-to solution. If this guy really is mentally ill AND that illness prompted his deranged behavior then prison might not be the best solution. But as a society we have downplayed the need for places to treat and house the mentally unstable, until something happens and then we start vacillating and wringing our hands about what to do. Everyone loses, including the mentally challenged.
I absolutely agree with you. In this case they probably had more than one psychiatrist examine him to determine if he was competent and understood the difference between right and wrong. We do need institutions to house the severely mentally ill that cannot survive in the community.

I absolutely agree with you. In this case they probably had more than one psychiatrist examine him to determine if he was competent and understood the difference between right and wrong. We do need institutions to house the severely mentally ill that cannot survive in the community.
Finding him competent isn't the solution... Judges and laws have gone nuts!
Finding him competent means a light sentence or probation. Institutionalizing the criminally insane means monitoring rather than telling them not to go off their medication.

Finding him competent isn't the solution... Judges and laws have gone nuts!
Finding him competent means a light sentence or probation. Institutionalizing the criminally insane means monitoring rather than telling them not to go off their medication.
That's not accurate. Finding a person competent means they can be prosecuted the length of the law. It means thier diagnosis does not shield them from the consequences of breaking the law.

I am not talking about institutionalizing criminals, I am talking about providing institutions to the severely mentally ill who've never committed a crime. The homeless rate of schizophrenics is astronomical and "integrating them into the community" has been a huge failure.

That's not accurate. Finding a person competent means they can be prosecuted the length of the law. It means thier diagnosis does not shield them from the consequences of breaking the law.

I am not talking about institutionalizing criminals, I am talking about providing institutions to the severely mentally ill who've never committed a crime. The homeless rate of schizophrenics is astronomical and "integrating them into the community" has been a huge failure.
The problem being if they still have issues upon release, can you trust them to take care of themselves or are we letting someone dangerous out?
I would think institution imagine would focus on their issues and treatment as long as necessary.

Latest posts

Back