• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

everjaded

ಠ_ಠ
Bold Member!
He was bitten more than 100 times, and surely died in absolute agony.

Police are in the process of trapping the dogs, trying to, identify ownership, and doing DNA testing to confirm the captured dogs are the ones that took part in the killing. Six have been rounded up and they're described as pit bull mixes.

A Highlands County man was likely killed by a pack of dogs, according to autopsy results and investigations conducted by the Highlands County Sheriff’s Office, the District 10 Medical Examiner and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

His family said Melvin Olds Jr., 45, took a shortcut through a wooded path and never came home.
“I thought a dog was a man’s best friend,” said Cynthia Hill, Olds’ mother. “He was a good person, a good man. Just so hurt, deeply because it’s so unexpected.”

Olds was a father of five and a grandfather.
There were no other wounds found on his body other than the more than 100 dog bites, according to the sheriff’s office.

Olds’ fiance, Jannell Ward, has seen a pack of dogs hanging out in their neighborhood.

“They growled a couple times but they never ran up to me. They never came at me or insinuated that they were going to bite me. I never got that feeling,” she said.

“When dogs get in packs, you never know what’s going to happen,” said Lt. Clay Kinslow, with Highlands County Sheriff’s Office.

The sheriff’s office laid traps in the area and picked up six stray dogs, all pit bull mixes.

Their bite sizes match Olds’ injuries but the official determination on their involvement is pending DNA testing.

https://www.wfla.com/news/highlands...ites-in-highlands-county-investigations-show/

From the desk of ghosttruck.

[....]
full

Melvin Olds Jr., 45, was attacked Thursday after he took a shortcut to get home near Lake Placid. His body was found the same day with more than 100 dog bites, according to the Highlands County Sheriff’s Office.

The county’s animal services have set up traps in the area for dogs that may have been involved in the attack. Six dogs have been captured so far and their bite size matches with the wounds on Olds’ body, the sheriff’s office said.

“That alone is not enough to say that they were the animals involved,” the office said. Authorities will compare the captured dogs’ DNA to that found on the wounds, according to the office.

“While we may have the dogs that were responsible for this horrible tragedy, we won’t know for sure for a while,” Sheriff Paul Blackman said in a statement.

Authorities have not said what breeds the captured dogs were.

“I want to encourage residents of Highway Park and the surrounding area to be on the lookout for any loose dogs, especially those that seem aggressive,” he said. “We don’t want anyone else to be injured.”

Olds was a father of five and a grandfather. His fiancée, Jannell Ward, told CNN affiliate WFLA she saw a pack of dogs in their neighborhood.

“They growled a couple times but they never ran up to me,” she told the station. “They never came at me or insinuated that they were going to bite me. I never got that feeling.”

When dogs get in packs, their behavior is unpredictable, Lt. Clay Kinslow, with the sheriff’s office, told the affiliate. However, he said, such cases are rare.

“We do work bite cases,” Kinslow said. “As far as a pack of dogs that attacked somebody, we don’t have many of those cases honestly.”

Lake Placid is about 100 miles from Orlando.

Back