• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

Authorities continued the massive search Monday for a hiker whose husband says she and their dog "vanished" from a California campground while he parked their vehicle.

Sheryl Powell, 60, disappeared near the Grandview Campground in the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest area of the White Mountains around 1 p.m. Friday, her husband, Joseph Powell, told the Inyo County Sheriff's Office.

The couple's son, Greg, wrote on Facebook on Saturday that his parents "had found a campsite and she got out of the car with our dog to wait in the shade while he turned around and backed up the hill."

When Joseph returned about five minutes later, Sheryl, along with Miley, a 5-pound Yorkipoo, was gone.

Joseph Powell told investigators he searched for his wife for an hour before sending out an SOS through his satellite device.

Inyo County Search & Rescue and the sheriff's office wrote in a Facebook post they immediately began searching for Sheryl.

Greg Powell expressed frustration with investigators who he said refuse to acknowledge the possibility Sheryl was abducted.

"They keep insisting she just got lost," he wrote, adding his mom didn't have food or water and was simply setting up camp.

He said he believes authorities should be looking into a possible abduction, but, as of Saturday, were only investigating his dad and his mother's friends as suspects, something he called "absurd."

I love this area. It's very isolated. hinnnnkkkeeeee!

Of course they had a designer dog.

This seems odd, unless wife just decided "Fuck it, I'm taking the dog and this is the best time to leave"
Right. No one is going to deliberately walk away with a drop kick dog in the High Desert at 8,000 feet elevation and 12 miles from the highway.

Last edited:
How much traffic would there have been in and out of that campground that somebody could have snatched her and disappeared clean out of sight in five minutes?

--Al
Realistically, there could have been some nutter homeless guy that seized the moment. But I'm doubtful, they would have found his footprint ie; garbage, camp area etc.

I'm feeling like the husband offed her and her little dog too. I know my mind shouldn't automatically go there but it did.

I'm feeling like the husband offed her and her little dog too. I know my mind shouldn't automatically go there but it did.
This is why my hinky meter was fired so fast.
The fact that the "little dog too" is also gone. Also no mention of anyone else at the campground. If the husband was only gone for 5 minutes, the wife could not get far taking the dog on a bathroom break.
A few more details here:

If I needed to cover up a crime, I would claim I had to drive back to town or the visitor center for water. Because you have to tote in your own water at that type of campground, and I could pretend I had forgotten water. "My wife wanted to sit in the shade. Said she would read her book and walk the dog." Then I would do it, so people saw me filling jugs. Then return to the camp site and start the panic act.
At least it is more plausible than "I was only gone for 5 minutes."
Of course my skepticism may be mean and unfair.

I did not see any mention in the news items about any other visitor at the camp ground. Did anyone see the couple at the campground?

. Investigators believe that Mr. Powell was not involved in Mrs. Powell's disappearance,"
They always say shit like this.
I think it's part of their tactics to calm the suspect so they will let their guard down.

Remember the guy that killed his pregnant gf and he was a suspect. They told her parents he was a suspect but to go along with it. He was on the news with the parents sitting next to him.

Remember the guy that killed his pregnant gf and he was a suspect. They told her parents he was a suspect but to go along with it. He was on the news with the parents sitting next to him.
I do remember. That was in Utah, and the authorities found bloody bed linen from their bed in a dumpster . . . and recovered video from a surveillance camera that showed him throwing something in the dumpster.

--Al

I was thinking back to a case where the guy was supposed to be graduating from medical school in just a few weeks when actually he didn't even complete his baccalaureate. It's been a while.

You're right though, Muriel; that case probably is the one.

--Al

"They keep insisting she just got lost (she didn’t bring any food or water and had no plans to hike yet, they were just setting up camp) or the dog got away (she weighs 4 lbs was on a leash and has a bad leg so she can’t run)," Farrah Powell wrote. "I hope they’re right but I think they should be pursuing the possibility of abduction as well."

She added that the criminal investigation had focused on her mother's friends and her father, who she said has refused to leave the campsite and "is on the verge of breakdown." Farrah Powell called the idea of her father's connection to the disappearance "absurd."

On Monday, the Sheriff's Office said investigators don't suspect any link to Powell's husband.

If the sheriff is saying the husband wasn't involved, wonder why the daughter would say they were focusing on him.

It is still totally possible (plausible) that the husband did it, and the dog may have run off to get away or just wandered off after he did something to her.

Okay, maybe, she was leaving and was taking the dog. He, loves the dog, and he is not letting her do this, separating him from his fluffy baby. Soooo he offs her.

It is still totally possible (plausible) that the husband did it, and the dog may have run off to get away or just wandered off after he did something to her.
Well then, the dog knows what happened. Get him into the interrogation room and get a statement pronto! Taunt him with withheld doggie biscuits if necessary!

The wording of the mothers FRIENDS and husband is interesting. Why friends?

I thought there was a possibility that the couple never went camping at all. He killed her and hid her some where and then drove all the way out there to make up this story. But if they found the dog, it kinda nixes that...although it is still possible he just let the dog loose up there.

Other possibility is she fell. I think it's unlikely she got THAT lost in this supposed 5 minute time frame. You cant go that far in 5 min, and in a place that isolated, if he immediately started searching and i assume yelling out for her, that would be heard and they no doubt would have heard one another. If there was no criminal/dirty business, it only makes sense to me that she perhaps crawled up on a ledge for a picture or to get a good view or who knows what and lost her footing.

Then again, youd think theyd be able to find her if that was the case.

Very very very hard to believe the husband due to this 5 minute timeline, just absurd to think someone could vanish in such a time frame.

She's been found!

Well i posted too soon.

Had to of fallen and broke a leg or some shit. Or the husbands timeline is total garbage.

OR he DID try to kill her and failed.

Dying to know where the fuck she was and how she got herself that fucking lost in just 5 god damn minutes, and how her husband is the worst and most pathetic searcher of all time. You can walk MAYBE 1/4 a mile in 5 min in that type of mountainous environment. This fucker couldnt yell loud enough for someone to hear him at that insignificant of a distance?

I was as surprised as anyone to come across it. I thought she was dead for sure. Photo of the family surrounding her bed doesn't indicate any foul play. Maybe she did get THAT lost THAT quickly. She should have never left the area. It's not safe to out in the woods with just a yorkie-poo for "protection".

Back