• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Mariah Butler wept that everyone was going to hate her when Orange Countydeputies interviewed her at the hospital last year, shortly after authorities say Butler left her 4-year-old stepson, Logan Starling, alone in a locked car for more than six hours on a sweltering hot September day.

On Tuesday, nearly six months after Logan’s death, Butler, 27, was arrested on charges of aggravated manslaughter of a child and child neglect.

Logan — a strawberry-blond boy who loved trains and Elmo — was one of five children Butler took to the Elite Preparatory Academy on Oak Ridge Road in her Dodge minivan Sept. 28, authorities said. The group arrived at the school shortly before 8:30 a.m.

Logan’s teacher was late that morning, so a school administrator was watching his class, authorities said. The substitute took attendance, but told investigators she did not mark Logan absent.

Toward the end of the day, a teacher approached Butler — who worked at the school as an administrative assistant — to ask why Logan was absent, according to court documents. Butler initially thought the teacher was joking. The teacher told Butler she wasn’t.

“Logan’s in the car!” she was heard saying on surveillance video. “He’s unconscious. Please go to the car. Please go to the car!”

Albert Steele, the school’s director, ran to the parking lot.

He said Logan, who appeared to be sleeping, was stiff to the touch, his head leaning against the van’s window and blood coming from his nose. He had been inside the car for more than six hours on a day when outside temperatures reached 94 degrees, authorities said. When investigators put a thermometer inside the van the next day, around the same time Logan was found, the temperature was 121 degrees. His internal temperature was 108 degrees, authorities said.

Detectives interviewed Butler at Orlando Regional Medical Center. According to court records, she told authorities she saw Logan leave the vehicle and suggested he was able to get back into the car without anyone seeing. She also said Logan had opened car doors from the inside in the past, detectives wrote in their report

“I physically seen all the children get out of the vehicle,” Butler wrote in a statement. “I do not know how Logan got back into the vehicle. Logan has a history of wandering and being [discreet] about his actions.”

But surveillance video showed Butler only getting out of the car with four children, according to an investigative report.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused... she left him in the car on purpose or did she genuinely not notice he got out? What are the chances that the teacher was late and they "missed" marking him absent?
The fact that she wept saying everyone is going to hate her is a little off putting but I wonder if she's not a little slow.

The woman accused of leaving her boyfriend's child in a hot car where he later died has pleaded guilty to neglect.

Mariah Butler took a plea deal that could have her facing up to five years in prison for the death of Logan Starling.

Starling died after being left in a vehicle outside of Elite Preparatory Academy for an entire day, authorities said.

Officials said Butler, who worked at the school, as well, said she did not realize that Logan was still inside the vehicle.

Butler was facing charges of aggravated manslaughter and neglect, but prosecutors agreed to drop the manslaughter charge after she pleaded guilty to neglect.

The judge accepted the plea deal and will decide what sentence will be handed down to Butler at a later date.

My bets on a totally non spectacular, most likely chaotic morning.
NOT MAKING EXCUSES, just offering a very likely scenario. First of all she’s 26 ( I know that’s not 16, but still) and getting herself and 5 kids out the door to work and school. I have no idea how old the other kids are or where dad is, but that’s no easy feat. Then she has to meet her mom in parking lot regarding some package. She’s probably already running late-and from the reviews I read about Elite Prep Academy it’s anything but. Maybe she was hurrying ahead and was counting on the older kid to get the younger one out. Then his teacher was late and the administrator who took over didn’t even mark him absent-outstanding administrator. The fake step mom was an administrative assistance-didn’t the administrator think of asking where the kid was? It’s not a very big school. 170 kids-more than half of them pre k and k. Only 8 teachers-Don’t these people ever talk to each other? Each lunch?
I know that ultimately the responsibility falls on the girlfriend and an innocent little boy is dead through no fault of his own, but I don’t think there was any under lying sinister motive.

A woman was sentenced in Orange County Thursday to five years of supervised probation in the death of her boyfriend’s 4-year-old son after she left him in a locked SUV in 2018.

Mariah Butler, who was a teacher at an Orange County School, pleaded guilty in January 2020 to the neglect of a child, in exchange prosecutors dropped her charge of aggravated manslaughter of a child. Along with her five years of supervised probation, Butler cannot be employed by any school, daycare facility or any other job that involves children.

Butler, who taught at the school, said she had five children in her car and she thought they all got out as they walked into school, according to officials.

Records show that Butler thought Starling had possibly gotten back inside because he had a history of wandering off, but surveillance video showed that the boy never got out of the vehicle.

The other children couldn’t remember Starling getting out of the vehicle or being with them when they entered the school. When school let out at 2:30 p.m., another teacher asked Butler where Logan was, and Butler ran to the car and found him unconscious in his car seat, deputies said.

At the hearing Thursday, Butler apologized to the family and told the judge it was a tragic accident.

“I deeply regret my decisions that day of not being more aware,” Butler said. “It hurts. If I could rewind time and do things differently to that day. There are no words that can express how sorry I am.”

She said she’s a mother too and she made a mistake. She also told the judge that she’s been going through therapy and counseling for her anxiety and depression.

Butler mentioned that her cars now have a signal to remind them to check the seats before exiting the vehicle and doors that open automatically for the children.

Meantime, 4-year-old Logan’s biological mother said she was not happy with the judge’s decision.

“She gets no DCF case, no nothing and she gets to walk away with probation,” Logan’s mother Shelby Hester said.

Logan’s great-grandfather also said the judge’s sentence was not fair.

“I can’t believe that judge gave her probation for the death of a child,” Roy Werner said.

Back