• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Edwina Gein

Pinko Satanist Snowflake
I'll be honest, I watched this because of Nicolas Cage. I have a weak spot for shitty Nicolas Cage movies. It's not shitty though. In fact it might have bumped Hereditary out of my pick for #1 horror movie this year. Much like Hereditary it's a beautifully put together film, great music and visuals, good acting even from Cage; if you like violence it is VIOLENT

LOVED the trailer, instantly became my most anticipated movie of the year. Can't wait to check it out.

Love movies that look exactly like the director had one of those totally batshit, crazy ass nightmares we all have from time to time and then woke up in the morning and managed to put the entire thing to film exactly as he saw it as he was tossing and turning that night. That's exactly what the trailer looked like.

Sounds like they managed to let Cage give a batshit crazy performance but actually made it work given the style and context of it all. Batshit Cage greatness without the pain in your face from the cringing after watching it = awesome.

Sounds like they managed to let Cage give a batshit crazy performance but actually made it work given the style and context of it all. Batshit Cage greatness without the pain in your face from the cringing after watching it = awesome.

I watched an interview saying he was originally approached to play the cult leader but held out for Red. I think it was a smart decision, Linus Roache was pretty perfect as Jeremiah

what a movie. incredibly odd. nods to the korean masterpiece "i saw the devil", david lynch's "blue velvet", "the evil dead 2" and "texas chainsaw massacre". no one loses their shit as poetically as nicholas cage. i would not be the least bit surprised to hear a tremendous volume of drugs facilitated the making of this film.

There were a few more nods I recognized: The Lost Boys, Hellraiser and possibly Hobo with a Shotgun, really obviously Friday the 13th

The whole movie reminded me of Jodorowsky explaining his idea for Dune, to make a movie that felt like being on drugs

Finally saw it, fantastic.

I was a tad underwhelmed with the revenge portion. I guess given how the movie was marketed, as this intentionally cult horror flick, and based on some of the things i read from folks who had seen it, that i expected it to be a bit nastier like so many of those movies often are. The kills were all relatively tame. There were a few of the evil bikers who were killed off and i have no clue exactly what even happened, what finished em off. Expected and desired something a bit more extreme/exploitative even.

It was still tremendous though. Nicolas Cage of course was brilliant, just the perfect role for him and he nailed it. But the cult leader was also brilliantly portrayed. That was even more batshit than Cages performance surprisingly, loved it.

Reminded me of Suspiria more than anything actually. I dont think there's been a movie since Suspiria with such striking, awesome visuals. And although both Cage and Roache were incredible, much like Suspiria the true star of the show here is the overall atmosphere born from those incredible visuals and the soundtrack. That's what sets this apart.
Post automatically merged:

and "texas chainsaw massacre".

The chainsaw duel felt more reminscent of Phantasm 2 to me.

Last edited:

hahah fuck yes. I legit dug the hell out of the song during that scene in the movie, was hoping there was a full length version released, and sure as fuck there is!

I bought the soundtrack on vinyl and was hoping it'd include Jeremiah's songs, but nope

Theyre being sold on bandcamp, well just the one and then apparently there's like a 17 min interview where jeremiah talks about his life. Might be interesting, havent had a chance to listen to that yet.

It is dumb it wasnt put on the actual movie soundtrack though.

what a movie. incredibly odd. nods to the korean masterpiece "i saw the devil", david lynch's "blue velvet", "the evil dead 2" and "texas chainsaw massacre". no one loses their shit as poetically as nicholas cage. i would not be the least bit surprised to hear a tremendous volume of drugs facilitated the making of this film.
I am a forever fan of "Evil Dead" forever and ever. When it comes to "Evil Dead 2" and the 3rd one...hell I cant think of the name. Watched em once and as far as Im concerned they dont exist. Oh! "Army of darkness". Please dont hate me, I just cant do the sequels.

I am a forever fan of "Evil Dead" forever and ever. When it comes to "Evil Dead 2" and the 3rd one...hell I cant think of the name. Watched em once and as far as Im concerned they dont exist. Oh! "Army of darkness". Please dont hate me, I just cant do the sequels.

Very interesting take.

I too am in the incredibly miniscule minority of folks who think Evil Dead is the best. I dig its pure horror approach too much. I still LOVE the rest of the series though. That comedy/horror style that the rest of the franchise lives by is still a ton of fucking fun.

Pains me to read someone couldnt get into it or accept it. Youre missing out sooooo much.

Finally got around to watching Mandy yesterday. Absolutely amazing. Incredible acting, especially from Cage and Roache. Brilliant story line, very atmospheric, and, yes, designed to give you that tripping balls feeling. One reviewer said he went to a showing and a woman walked out after 5 minutes, because she couldn't handle the slow pace that is so necessary to put the viewer in that peaceful, relaxes state of mind that marks the beginning of the story. Everything that happens on screen, every sound, every scene, every color, every word of dialog is meaningful. Incredible movie experience.

Back