• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

A Seattle man was arrested over the weekend and accused of throwing coffee on a baby -- just two days after he'd been released from jail after serving eight months for randomly punching a man.

Q13 Fox reported that the suspect, Francisco Calderon, has been convicted more than 70 times, and 14 of those convictions were on assault charges.

The station, citing witnesses, reported that Calderon was behaving erratically before the alleged attack near Seattle's Westlake Park. Witnesses said the baby's father tackled Calderon and held him down until police arrived.

KOMO reported late Tuesday that Calderon was being held on a misdemeanor charge, not on a felony charge of assaulting a child.

"Mr. Calderon is being released without conditions on the felony charge," King County District Court Judge Anne Harper said. "He has been filed in Seattle Municipal Court on a misdemeanor charge ... he remains detained but not on the felony. That is by decision of King County Prosecutor's Office and Seattle City Attorney."

Calderon received a yearlong jail sentence for his previous attack after Municipal Court Judge Ed McKenna rejected a plea deal agreed to by the prosecutor and public defender that would have sentenced Calderon to 30 days in jail and a treatment program. After that case, Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes and Director of Public Defense Anita Khandwlwal called for McKenna's resignation, citing "our shared concern that you are disregarding your duty to act with impartiality and integrity."

Calderon received a yearlong jail sentence for his previous attack after Municipal Court Judge Ed McKenna rejected a plea deal agreed to by the prosecutor and public defender that would have sentenced Calderon to 30 days in jail and a treatment program. After that case, Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes and Director of Public Defense Anita Khandwlwal called for McKenna's resignation, citing "our shared concern that you are disregarding your duty to act with impartiality and integrity."

How about now? There really should be a limit to how much lawbreaking we're expected to endure. He should've been released onto a island all by himself or maybe released into the custody of the attorneys who want to coddle him.

It is pretty obvious now his long-term survival plan includes being incarcerated forever.
Can't care for himself.
He cannot interact with Society normally.
He never will.
Just put him in a cage and leave him there for f*** sakes

This happened in an area with lots of homeless people, combined with lots of tourists. The man is almost certainly quite mentally ill, or a substance abuser, or both. We used to have institutions for people who were too mentally ill to function in society, now we have this instead. Crazy people arrested over and over, living on the streets in between, endangering innocent passerby and themselves.

We really NEED to bring back mental hospitals (and utilize them better this time around).

I wish I could brush off the Washington is the new Florida comments. Considering there have been a few murders by my house, a couple of murder getaway cars ditched and a 10-15 person drunken throw down in my front yard I cannot contest...no matter how much I wish I could.

Washington is no where near the level of sheer WTF that is Florida. However, the level of homeless people is getting way out of hand, and the crime that comes with it. Not even just in the city anymore, there are lots of homeless even in the suburbs now.

Honestly, I'd take Florida over Seattle any day. Most Florida crazy is pretty easy to avoid, and more often than not Florida Man (and the people that choose to be around him) get the worst of it. Motherfuck this guy.

As much of a "personal liberty" person as I am, gutting the involuntary committal laws was a huge fucking mistake. Some people just need to be kept out of society. Randomly throwing coffee on an infant is a pretty good sign that you're one of those people.

I’ve lived around homeless people and never felt a tinge of fear. You could tell the scary ones, or were warned about them. Here, no dice. Don’t give them money? No, don’t look in their direction. Near my house I saw a family with a sign. I ran home cleared the pantry grabbed all but 1 pack of diapers and baby food. Took it too them, when I was done unloading it all the “dad” pulled me aside and proceeded to try to get cash from me. The mom didn’t look at me and when the kids got all happy she shoved them away.

I walked away and reminded myself if it was a real act of charity I shouldn’t expect anything in return. Even gratitude. Let’s just say I don’t clear out the pantry for anyone any more.

Back