Dad-of-three David Dowell was always known as a loveable larrikin and a man who would never back down from a dare, but one he took last year — when a friend dared him to eat a gecko at a Christmas party — could be the thing that claimed his life.
Friends and family are still searching for answers six months after Dowell was dared to eat the lizard.
Dowell, who would’ve turned 35 last week, was rushed to Brisbane’s Mater Hospital in “absolute agony” on December 3, two days after friends reportedly saw him eat the gecko at the Saturday night party.
Dowell’s partner of 15 years Allira begged the paramedics to take him to hospital after they believed he just had a bad bout of gastro or a severe hangover.
In an interview with 7 News, Allira said her partner’s death was a “big shock.”
“We never thought this would happen, it was just a big shock and it still is a big shock” she said.
“He was a great person, he was the best person I have ever met, he was the best dad to our children.”
She told the publication that the attention on her partner’s death has been distressing as she doesn’t “want him to be remembered like this.”