• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Muriel Schwenck

Beloved Curmudgeon
chainsaw.jpeg

We haven't had so many equipment related deaths lately, so tossing this little nugget. What a gruesome discovery!

30 Aug 2019
A woman near the intersection of South and D streets called police on Tuesday at 3:09 p.m. after she found her neighbor on the ground after an apparent chainsaw accident. She told police that it looked like he had died from a head wound.

Fire and ambulance crews arrived and the San Joaquin County coroner was called to the scene. Police closed the street to pedestrians and car traffic for about 3½ hours as detectives and crime scene technicians examined the area, eventually confirming that the man’s death was accidental. It was about an hour before police found an adult relative who they could notify.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha. I just looked at that police log.

Future DD front page story.
7:40 p.m.: A resident on the 200 block of West Third Street said a 6-year-old boy was outside throwing rocks at houses. He said he saw the same boy last week trying to start a fire in a driveway. The resident didn’t want to talk to the police but wanted officers to talk to the boy’s parents. The boy was gone when officers arrived.

And; meth much?
Wednesday
4:55 a.m.: A resident on the 200 block of Carlton Way said his neighbors were tapping on his windows for no reason and the sound was keeping him awake. Police tried to call the man back and get an apartment number, but the call wasn’t answered.

My husband is a contractor and has had his fair share of accidents over the years involving saws, including severing a tendon in his hand. He is actually really good at his job and works for a very well respected business and he still hurts himself. Scares the shit out of me daily. And for the record he refuses to use chainsaws because of how dangerous they are.

he refuses to use chainsaws because of how dangerous they are.
They are hairy all right. Better than they were in the 50s and 60s.

I read an article in Mother Earth News about chainsaw usage, and the author said he would no more lend his chainsaw to somebody without going over safety than he would lend his rifle without going over safety.

--Al

I just spent the last 30 mins reading entries on the police log at the link above- Pretty interesting little mix!
There’s some death, lots of drunks, a couple of disappearing druggies & at least 1 tow truck tool box that’s just too damn shiny!

Was this a case of chainsaw kickback?
That's probably the way I would bet.

A former coworker once told me he'd read somewhere the average chainsaw accident takes 30 stitches and $3000 to set to rights. 30 stitches? I'd buy that. $3000 sounds low to me, though.

--Al

When I was 14 I experienced a kickback. I was at a friends house and they were having some of their property logged. We were cutting up some of the scrap stuff for firewood. I was cutting a log and the saw hit something in there and jumped back on me. It happened so fast I didn't know what was happening. The next thing I know is that the saw is on the ground and I'm holding my chest with blood all over. I ended up with a little over 300 stitches and a scar that goes from right under my chin to the bottom of my rib cage. The doctor said that a 1/4" deeper almost anywhere would have been fatal for me. It was 41 years ago. I was using a chainsaw again within a couple months.

Five years ago I moved out to the boonies and bought a small but rather overgrown plot dirt cheap. Got a chainsaw because how else are you going to take care of a mess like that quickly? Fast forward to mother's day and the kids have to do a display about their moms and one of the questions was "what is your mom good at". Everyone else's kid writes stuff like baking cookies and crochet and mine writes "using a chainsaw" and all of a sudden I've got this badass reputation around the school. Had no idea there are grown men out there terrified of chainsaws because of the potential for maiming and death

My husband is a contractor and has had his fair share of accidents over the years involving saws, including severing a tendon in his hand. He is actually really good at his job and works for a very well respected business and he still hurts himself. Scares the shit out of me daily. And for the record he refuses to use chainsaws because of how dangerous they are.
I had a circular saw dance across my hand when I was 15. Severed a tendon in my pointer finger. The blad stopped spinning when it embedded itself in the bone on the other side of my hand. Took a while before I could hear a saw again without cringing, but I'm good now. Use one plenty often myself.
(I have permanent nerve damage and a small but noticeable sub-dermal bump where they stitched the tendon back together, but the scars have mostly faded)

I do love my chainsaw, though. And my table saw, and miter saw and circular saws, jigsaws, reciprocating saws... Boy. I have a lot of saws!

I vaguely remember being at the emergency room back in the day as a result of a drunken sawing incident. I have no idea now what our friend was so intent on doing that night. We were all out of our minds on booze and drugs, but the rest of us knew from the start what he was about to do was a really bad idea.

This was the same idiot who thought some partner swapping was a terrific idea until his wife got pregnant and they had no idea if he was actually the father or not. Later, the boy looked just like him so there was no doubt in my mind then.

Shit can easily go sideways when you don't really think things out.

Back