• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Jesus! I didn't know you could actually do it!

https://www.foxnews.com/health/man-coughs-up-part-of-lung-while-being-treated-for-heart-failure
A 36-year-old California man who was admitted to the intensive care unit with chronic heart failure was coughing so severely that he hacked up an intact cast of the right bronchial tree. The unidentified patient, whose case was written about in the New England Journal of Medicine, was receiving treatment at the University of California San Francisco (UCSF) Medical Center and had previously been fitted with a pacemaker.

Over the course of a week, the patient had progressed to coughing up phlegm and blood, and during a particularly extreme bout coughed up an intact cast of the right bronchial tree.
serveimage

“The right bronchial tree consists of three segmental branches in the upper lobe, two segmental branches in the middle lobe, and five segmental branches in the lower lobe,” the case report’s authors wrote. “The patient’s trachea was subsequently intubated, and flexible bronchoscopy revealed a small amount of blood in the basilar branches of the right lower lobe.”

He was extubated two days later, and he had no further instances of coughing up blood, but he died one week later due to complications of heart failure.

Attachments

• man_coughs_up_lung.jpg
    man_coughs_up_lung.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 1,336
I know he died, but I hope he felt much better after he coughed that up, at least for a bit

Oh wow I cannot imagine how hard he was coughing. I don't think I'll joke about that anymore.

As if the guy didn't have enough problems already... has to go and cough up a lung as well. I have coughed pretty hard before but all I ever did was pee a little.

Back