• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A Florida man whose service dog was killed by an alligator last week committed suicide after the attack, distraught relatives and neighbors said.

Andrew Epp, who had struggled with mental health issues, took his own life Saturday, one day after his chocolate lab, Java, died after being attacked by an alligator at Dog Leg Park in Palmetto, WFLA reports.

“It was just such a sad situation, he couldn’t deal with it,” one of Epp’s neighbors and family friends, Kayla Weston, told the station.

Witnesses said the deadly attack took place shortly before dusk on May 17 after the dog somehow got loose while outside a fence. Moments later, the lifeless lab was slumped over a man’s shoulders while covered in blood, one witness said.

Full Story:
https://nypost.com/2019/05/24/man-commits-suicide-after-his-service-dog-is-killed-by-alligator/

Perfect place for a dog park. :rolleyes: :penguin:

The dog park is near wetlands that are obscured by a line of trees, potentially putting visitors and animals alike at risk of attacks by snakes or alligators.

One man who has visited the dog park for the last five years said he knew of at least three dogs that have been eaten by alligators. He demanded that warnings sign be installed before they went up earlier this week, WFLA reports.

A real service dog wouldn't have "somehow got loose". Real service dogs are trained by handlers before being placed into homes to care for those in need. I'm not diminishing the need for service dogs for those with real mental health issues, but "service dogs" are trained to serve first and be pets second. This is what happens when people take any untrained animal and call it a service animal.

A real service dog wouldn't have "somehow got loose". Real service dogs are trained by handlers before being placed into homes to care for those in need. I'm not diminishing the need for service dogs for those with real mental health issues, but "service dogs" are trained to serve first and be pets second. This is what happens when people take any untrained animal and call it a service animal.
Not necessarily.
This is the only article I could find quickly.

This happens more often than hits the news. In my 22 years at animal control, I can recall 5 in my county alone.

Service dogs know when they are on duty. They have what ever gear they wear and they are working.
When they are not wearing their gear, it's on its own time.

We don't know if this dog was professionally trained or not. Some people lack the money to buy a $10,000 dollar dog.
This person suffered from depression if the dog helped with that then he was a service dog.

What I have a problem with is people buying a vest and putting it in their dog so they can take it into restaurants, movie theaters etc.

We have no proof this owner did any of that.

To him, the dog provided a service so profound he chose to no longer continue.
Post automatically merged:

Not necessarily.
This is the only article I could find quickly.

This happens more often than hits the news. In my 22 years at animal control, I can recall 5 in my county alone.

Service dogs know when they are on duty. They have what ever gear they wear and they are working.
When they are not wearing their gear, it's on its own time.

We don't know if this dog was professionally trained or not. Some people lack the money to buy a $10,000 dollar dog.
This person suffered from depression if the dog helped with that then he was a service dog.

What I have a problem with is people buying a vest and putting it in their dog so they can take it into restaurants, movie theaters etc.

We have no proof this owner did any of that.
And it has zip to do with the circumstances of the dog's death.

Last edited:
My cat, Charlie Bilgewater, provides emotional service during my bouts of depression (which has been happening more often lately than I want), but I'm fucking smart enough not to count him as a "service" animal, because he's not trained to be one. He's a pet and no matter how much I want him to be more than that is not going to change the fact.

Charlie Bildgewater

Last edited:
Many "service dogs" are actually "emotional support dogs" but they can be considered a service dog if the owner gets an official certificate from the State or other government agency. Then they can bring the dog wherever they want including restaurants, stores etc. When I managed condos, this was a problem with several people who claimed their pet was a service dog so they could bring it into the pool area, community room, etc. yet they did not have any certificate. A doctor's recommendation is required to obtain a certificate where I live. I had to be the heavy at the condos and send nasty grams and threats of fines until they obtained proper certifications. Ugh, don't miss those days at all!

Back