• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Jaded

Staff member
A 65-year-old town man is facing a manslaughter charge for allegedly holding the gun during the assisted suicide of his terminally ill wife, according to state police.

Kevin G. Conners of Break Neck Hill Road, a retired state corrections officer, was arrested Thursday and charged with second-degree manslaughter (helping a person commit suicide) in connection with the Sept. 6, 2018, death of his 61-year-old wife.

After initially telling police that his wife had shot herself, Conners admitted he helped her by holding the gun while she shot herself, adding “he loved his wife very much and couldn’t watch her suffer like she was,” from advanced and spreading cancer, the arrest warrant affidavit in the case says.

[...]

According to the warrant, Conners made a 911 call to state police just after 1 a.m. Sept. 6, 2018, initially reporting his wife of 42 years, Lori Conners, had committed suicide by shooting herself in the head with a handgun soon after they had gone to bed.

Conners told dispatchers his wife was lying on the bed in her bedroom and the warrant said he “appeared to be emotional (crying)” on the recorded call. When officers arrived at the scene, Conners was pacingon the front steps, and inside, authorities found the victim had been shot in her left temple and there was a silver revolver on a pillow next to her, the warrant said.

The gun was loaded with .38-caliber ammunition, with one spent shell casing and five live rounds inside the cylinder, police said.

When he was questioned further after police noticed discrepancies in his story, Conners told officers he agreed to hold and stabilize the gun for his wife, but was “adamant he did not pull the trigger,” the warrant said. He told police his wife pulled the trigger and he “paced back and forth until Lori died,” the warrant said.

The couple had done research on suicide methods, and Lori Conners had told her husband she no longer wanted to live, he told police, the warrant says. Lori Conners told her husband and children she “wanted to be with God,” which police confirmed with the children, the warrant said.

Conners told police his wife was diagnosed with cancer in March 2018, which had spread to her colon, liver, abdomen and back, and had been battling Lyme disease for 17 years, adding chemotherapy treatments were “making her very sick and not wanting to live.” He told police his wife was “constantly writing (suicide) goodbye letters to him and their four children,” the warrant says, and that she was in constant pain.

Police said they found more than 13 letters signed by Lori Conners apologizing to her family for taking her own life. Conners said his wife tried to take her own life earlier in 2018, which police confirmed with her medical records, according to the warrant. He told police the couple are “devout” born-again Christians, the warrant said.

Conners is being held in lieu of $50,000 bail and is due to be arraigned in Superior Court at Middletown Friday.

[...]

Link

Such a bullshit charge. I want it known that if I'm terminal and there is no cure, and I decide I'm done putting everyone through the misery of supporting me through it. Fucking please pull the trigger.

We don't charge a person for putting their pets down for quality of life, but we will if it's a person.

Deal. I would like that statement notarized, please.
@Jaded @Totemic .. if someone cannot help me .. the largest amount of heroin I can push the fastest and pray to the stars it works! I am not going out in as much pain and misery as I watched my poor father die of bone cancer.. what finally took him was a massive stroke and small brain aneurysm that left him incapable of anything so I called hospice and gave him a shitload of morphine thru a dropper until he passed.. basically organ failure from no food or water.. I would do it a million times over.. however .. loosing my son .. had my daughter about a year and a half later .. then severe PPD.. and buried my dad four months later .. it really screwed me up .. I would hope my kids could understand honestly..

Last edited:
I am writing a living will that would give my spouse permission to pull the plug if I were to become incapacitated to the point of no return. I'd rather die than live in a vegetative state with machines keeping me alive.

In Oregon, you can get drugs to help end your life if you are terminally ill.

Leave the guy be. Oi.
Honestly, I think it was a bit unfair of her to put that burden on him.
@Ramona the brave
It’s like my dad.. someone had to be there when the time came. His will that I wrote was iron clad DNR no treatment only comfort drugs nothing to sustain life and die at home. My parents had been married 42 years (since they were 15). My mom couldn’t do it and he knew that.. he’s my best friend.. it has fucked me up to this day finding my son dead and having my dad die in my arms .. but again I would do it a million times over. I was lost to hard drugs and had a death wish.. for a time incapable of coping.. I would still do it over.. they are my flesh and blood.. my soul.. my life.. my everything.. I would never trust anyone to show them the care love and respect in life illness and in death that only I could give and they deserve :confused:

@Ramona the brave
It’s like my dad.. someone had to be there when the time came. His will that I wrote was iron clad DNR no treatment only comfort drugs nothing to sustain life and die at home. My parents had been married 42 years (since they were 15). My mom couldn’t do it and he knew that.. he’s my best friend.. it has fucked me up to this day finding my son dead and having my dad die in my arms .. but again I would do it a million times over. I was lost to hard drugs and had a death wish.. for a time incapable of coping.. I would still do it over.. they are my flesh and blood.. my soul.. my life.. my everything.. I would never trust anyone to show them the care love and respect in life illness and in death that only I could give and they deserve :confused:
Your raw honesty and passion leaps off the page. The people in your life are truly fortunate to have such a compassionate and courageous loved one. So many view the idea of assisted suicide as a way for the care giver to get rid of the person. Those same people are incapable of believing that assisted suicide is the merciful act of settling that soul to the next destination.

I am writing a living will that would give my spouse permission to pull the plug if I were to become incapacitated to the point of no return. I'd rather die than live in a vegetative state with machines keeping me alive.

In Oregon, you can get drugs to help end your life if you are terminally ill.
Not the same as having someone murder you.
Post automatically merged:

I’m fat, will never be as healthy as Michael Phelps, don’t believe in a higher power or prayer, and suffer incurable mental anguish of self-identifying as Mickey Mouse and know I will never meet my Minnie. Think I’ll go to Oregon to have a doctor off me.

Last edited:
@Ramona the brave
Thanks for sharing. Love is powerful.

I really hope death with dignity comes to all states. The right to die on your own terms should have never been removed from us. Yes, there should be policy in place to prevent murder, with the excuse of assisted suicide was requested. But no one deserves to be told they must suffer until their disease finally takes their life.

Totally agree. Yes they have a job to do, but surely discretion in certain cases prevails??? 13 suicide letters in her hand, previous attempts...:this proves it wasn’t murder (so long as they have proof of her handwriting first)

I’m fat, will never be as healthy as Michael Phelps, don’t believe in a higher power or prayer, and suffer incurable mental anguish of self-identifying as Mickey Mouse and know I will never meet my Minnie. Think I’ll go to Oregon to have a doctor off me.

In most Right to Die states, a doctor single doesn't actually assist you - you must be evaluated by at least 3 doctors, and have a known late stage terminal/neuro-degenerative illness and you'll then be provided with a mixture of prescription medications for you to take when you're ready; however, you must be able to take the medications orally by yourself.
Someone can open the bottle and hand it to you, but you must still be able to get the medications into your mouth to swallow on your own.
This is important for people with degenerative diseases like ALS making the right to die choice, as they have to time this carefully, before they loose the ability to swallow - if that happens, then they've lost their chance to choose when they wish to die.

Michael Phelps is setting a pretty high bar for yourself there bro.

Back