• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
This case drives me nuts! The actions and subsequent reactions of the parents bother me so much. I have never traveled abroad like that but where can you leave small children in a room while you go out for dinner and drinks with your friends? I have no idea how I would act if one of my children was missing but something tells me that my interviews may be conducted while I do the Thorazine rock from the padded=party room, not out jogging to keep my girlish figure.

I admit that this case gets so much publicity that I tend to tune it out, I have more interest in those that aren't plastered all over the media, but those are my feelings on what I have been unable to tune out.

where can you leave small children in a room while you go out for dinner and drinks with your friends? I have no idea how I would act if one of my children was missing but something tells me that my interviews may be conducted while I do the Thorazine rock from the padded=party room, not out jogging to keep my girlish figure.

No fucking kidding!
At the very least, the parents should have been charged with child endangerment and had their twins removed from their custody ..

This case stinks to high heaven .. Grrr

Urgh, it's even in the papers around here.
I'm still convinced the parents had something to do with it. The 'evidence' for abduction isn't at all convincing.

Is there video of them having dinner? Who with? Friends or friends they met there and what did they say about their behavior?

I grew up in Europe; it was actually quite common while on holidays for the adults to put us kids to bed for the night and then for them to gather at the central restaurant in the resort. Most of the rooms & patios were off the central patio and that made for a mostly direct path to any room from the gathering and bar area to a room. 150 metres. Normal and common ... I'd wager that none of the other patrons saw this as wrong as I guarantee the McCaan's weren't the only ones doing the same thing that night. Not the same world that we live in over here --- much more kicked back and relaxed.

u06kd5z.jpg
London police appear poised to make an arrest in the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, the girl who was 3 when she vanished while on a Portuguese vacation with her family nearly seven years ago.

The arrests of a trio of alleged burglars who had been active in the neighborhood would be the result of Operation Grange, the reopening of the McCann investigation three years ago.

"We can confirm that a second International Letter of Request has been sent to the Portuguese authorities by the Crown Prosecution Services this week... in connection with Operation Grange,'' Scotland Yard told ABC News in a statement. The authorities would not discuss any further details.

The McCann family spokesman refused to comment about the investigation.

"I'm afraid we are saying nothing about any aspect of Operation Grange whilst the police work continues, least of all about any tabloid speculation surrounding it,'' the spokesman told ABC News.

Scotland Yard is reportedly working with Portuguese police to find, detain and question three men believed to be burglars who were operating in the area where Madeleine and her family were on vacation in Portugal.

After pouring over records containing hundreds of cell phone numbers used during the time Maddie vanished, police found a high number of calls were made between these men in the hours after her disappearance.

Last year, Scotland Yard said one of their significant lines of inquiry was the four-fold increase in burglaries in the resort where the McCanns had been staying, peaking in April 2007. Madeleine disappeared in May 2007. Two of the burglaries took place in April in the apartment block where the McCann family was staying. In both of the April burglaries entry was gained via a window.
[...]

Last July, when Scotland Yard decided to move from a review to an investigation, Metropolitan Police Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood said he believed there is a possibility she is alive.

''There is no clear, definitive proof that Madeleine McCann is dead, so on that basis I still genuinely believe that there is a possibility that she is alive,'' Redwood said.
http://abcnews.go.com/International...-make-arrests-disappearance/story?id=21512647

I hope these people have learned not to leave their children alone in a hotel room, in a foreign country, whilst they are off gallivanting.

From the link in Whisper's post above:

Police investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann are looking for a man who assaulted five other young British girls on vacation in Portugal, London’s Metropolitan Police said Wednesday.

The man, whom witnesses describe as being tanned with short, dark, unkempt hair, is suspected of breaking in to 12 vacation homes where British families were staying in the Algarve between 2004 and 2010.

In four of the incidents, girls between 7 and 10 years of age were sexually assaulted in their beds. On one of these occasions, he assaulted two girls in the same villa, police said. These attacks happened between 2004 and 2006.

“Whilst not identical, there are many similar aspects to each of the incidents in that in most cases there were no signs of forced entry to the property, nothing was taken, and the intruder appeared in the early hours of the morning,” between 2 and 5 a.m., police said in a statement

Why are we only hearing about this perv now?

I'd think it was because the Brits finally managed to force the Portugese to re-open their "closed case" and have also now stepped in to do the actual investigating.

I don't know anyone here is England who thinks those parents are innocent. They were Doctors and rich , there were babysitting services available, those kids were BABIES, who leaves babies alone - and if they weren't respectable Doctors they would have been in trouble from the beginning. Imagine if a single mother did this - I think there would be very different attitudes.

Doctors by the way, who had access to sleep meds and so forth.

They are a weird couple and have refused from the start to engage with the police and questioning, their whole demeanour in the hours and days following Maddies disappearance is unusual of grieving/worried parents and they have had millions of pounds in donations to 'look' for their Daughter. They are treated like mini celebrities and I get sick of looking at their faces.

How many years has it been - yet every so often another mystery lead pops up that goes no where. As if police ONLY just found out a serial child molester was going around the area. Hmmm.

The most reliable witnesses were a couple not connected to the little friendship group - who have all refused to talk anymore or have fade away - they gave a good description and police produced an e-fit of the man seen with a child fitting Maddies description. The McCanns never wanted it shown because it resembled Gerry too much and its only been made available recently.

I've been abroad, I never left my teenagers alone let alone a 3 year old and 18 month old twins. In those parts of Europe they are very child friendly, children are welcome everywhere. Nobody I knows would leave their babies out of sight in an unlocked room.

And for all the 'we were checking, we could see the apartment' talk, it obviously wasn't good enough .
Maybe nobody saw anything as there wasn't anything to see, except for Maddies parents ' checking' on her.....

I agree I guess I was a helicopter parent because I would never have left mine like that either
I am 9 minutes walking distance from a store (thats round trip) and when I have my gbabys I wont even attempt going for a pop or magazine and leave them that length of time

Like I said before, I grew up in Europe and vacationing in Spain, Portugal etc. Life IS different there from North America. No comparison. They did what is absolutely common in those resorts and were at the central resort patio with their friends. They all took turns checking on the kidlets. That was SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for my family and the families we vacationned with. My parents only used the babysitting services if they were actually leaving the resort or going into the bars on the resort out of view of our pad, not when they were sitting, 150 feet away, with eyes on our pad.

150 feet. That's it. I live in Canada in a town and my damn backyard is 250 feet deep. Am I a bad mother because I actually dared sit in my own backyard at my firepit about 125 feet behind the house while my little ones were inside sleeping? I don't think so.

I would even be willing to bet beers that of the friends the McCaans were sitting with on the central patio (from where they COULD see their apartment doorway) who had small children too ... also had their kids snug in their own apartments and were checking them too. Why? Because that is common and normal place in the world they were in at the time (bet you not many tourists do that there now though).

Why would Portugal be so willing to toss the parents under the bus? Think Greece. Mid-teen unemployment rate and huge financial crisis at the time. One of the smallest per capita household incomes in Europe. A vast economy of many "niche" industries reliant upon exports. Many small niche industries, but the largest of all industries in their economy was tourism. They certainly wouldn't have fared too well had a local or a stranger abducted a child from their midst now would they? Funny, how now the the Brits are involved all this other shit about what really goes down there is coming out of the woodwork. Portugal has ceased to smell like roses while the McCaans were coated in the shit from the get-go.

Hey Portugal, why a fucking "closed" case file when a child disappeared from YOUR country and one of YOUR tourist resorts after you did your best to blame the parents from the get-go ... and the child is not yet recovered? CLOSED. Thank fuck WE don't CLOSE cases until the kid is recovered in whatever shape/form. To me, the fact that they CLOSED this case without ever having recovered a body or a live child speaks volumes about where Portugal put their priorities ... and that was in "not disturbing the revenue generating sector in their nation". Parents, meet bus.

@golanvern

I agree with you on the leaving the kids in the apartment. People in my country would not think twice about doing that in a resort, leaving kids on their own for a while is more normal in Europe, I guess. It's also messed up that Portugal closed the case.
However, I do still suspect the parents a little bit, mostly because of the mom's reaction to all this. I think there might have been an accident. But hell, I could be totally wrong.

I am going out of town for the entire day tomorrow and I have arranged for more care to be given to my dogs while I'm gone than these people did with their children.

While it may be a relatively common experience in Britain to leave your kids in a resort or hotel room while you go out, it doesn't make it a good idea. Growing up in the boondocks it used to be acceptable to ride around everywhere in the back of a pick-up truck, little kids too, but it didn't make it a good idea, just something stupid that we all did.

I'd think it was because the Brits finally managed to force the Portugese to re-open their "closed case" and have also now stepped in to do the actual investigating.

You are probably right. *sigh*

And you are doubtless right about the Portuguese trying to protect their tourist industry at all costs, too.

I am going out of town for the entire day tomorrow and I have arranged for more care to be given to my dogs while I'm gone than these people did with their children.

While it may be a relatively common experience in Britain to leave your kids in a resort or hotel room while you go out, it doesn't make it a good idea. Growing up in the boondocks it used to be acceptable to ride around everywhere in the back of a pick-up truck, little kids too, but it didn't make it a good idea, just something stupid that we all did.

Absolutely agreed. But, Continental Europe is still not comparable to North America or Britain for that matter. Having spent my vacay in Cyprus in 2011 ... life still goes down in European resorts the same way it did when I was younger. Life and leisure there are simply not comparable to the North American experience. They are worlds apart indeed. Much in the same way that fishing town Lunenburg, Nova Scotia can not be compared to life/leisure in downtown Toronto, Ontario or even Windsor, Ontario. Trying to equate what is "normal, acceptable and safe" here with what is "normal, acceptable and safe" there is akin to stating a Lamborghini is the same as a skateboard because they can both have 4 wheels and can be used for transportation.

I love life in Europe. I love life here. They are vastly different.

Last edited:
And we've moved from news of learning about a series of break-ins that weren't made public by Portugese officials to now learning of a series of sexual assaults of children that weren't released by them ... Yep; they sure did cover their collective tourism-dollar collecting butts well.

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/missing-madeleine-may-have-been-victim-of-serial-offender-police

LONDON, April 23 (Reuters) - Madeleine McCann may have been among the victims of a series of sexual assaults on British children in Portugal, probably carried out by a single offender around the time she went missing seven years ago, British police said on Wednesday.

British and Portuguese police are investigating a string of cases of sexual assault or attempted sexual assault on British children between 2004 and 2010.

One assault, which was only reported to police following a public appeal for information in March, was on a 10-year-old girl at Praia da Luz itself two years before Madeleine disappeared .

"This offence now takes us into the resort and of course is very important in investigating Madeleine's disappearance," said Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood at a news conference in London on Wednesday.

Redwood said he believed all the assaults involved the same man breaking into holiday villas occupied by British families in the Western Algarve region of Portugal.

"There are features within these new crimes that make us absolutely confident that they are part of a series," he said. "We are looking at one offender."

Last month, police said some of the victims had given a similar description of the attacker as being tanned, unshaven, with dark, unkempt hair.

He spoke English with a foreign accent and two of the victims described him as wearing a distinctive burgundy top, with long sleeves and a white circle on the back.

Her parents were named as official suspects by Portuguese police four months after Madeleine's disappearance, but in 2008 they were cleared and Portugal's public prosecutor later dropped the case, citing a lack of evidence.

London police launched a review of the case in 2011 and began their own investigation last July.

Could this red shirt be the breakthrough for Madeleine police investigators? Distinctive top worn by pot-bellied suspect provides new hope for search
  • Revelation comes a week before seventh anniversary of her disappearance
  • Man was said to be wearing distinctive shirt on two occasions in Algarve
  • Peter Bleksley believes burgundy shirt is designed with a Super Bock logo
  • Suspect is also believed to be 'pot-bellied' and smells of alcohol
  • ystery man has been linked to attacks on five girls in the holiday resort
[...]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tinctive-t-shirt-beer-logo.html#ixzz307T1tA00
snguat.jpg

The parents of Madeleine McCann are refusing to file their daughter as legally dead even though she's been missing for seven years. It's interesting that they're not jumping at the opportunity to bring an end, once and for all, to the charade that is this internationally known case. They claim to still have hope that the missing girl is still alive after all these years -- and even though much of the evidence in this case has pointed in the direction of the girl's demise.

Maddie McCann is most likely dead. Early in the investigation behind her disappearance cadaver and blood sniffing dogs 'hit' on multiple points in the family's rental apartment. The dogs also alerted to some of the child's belongings and then later in the trunk of the family's rental car. DNA was also obtained during the investigation that indicated a fatal injury may have occurred.

As long as Kate and Gerry keep up the facade that Maddie is alive and being kept somewhere by phantom kidnappers, money will be made by them an wasted by Scotland Yard. Most civilized people can look at the evidence that's been widely publicized against them and tell for themselves that this case is a charade
[...]
http://www.allvoices.com/contribute...m_campaign=Outbrain&utm_source=Outbrain2Cents

I hate Chelsea Hoffman

And the thing is, a lot of the pressures that would make people go ahead and ask to have an adult declared dead are absent when you are dealing with a missing person who is not old enough to own anything.....

And we've moved from news of learning about a series of break-ins that weren't made public by Portugese officials to now learning of a series of sexual assaults of children that weren't released by them ... Yep; they sure did cover their collective tourism-dollar collecting butts well.

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/missing-madeleine-may-have-been-victim-of-serial-offender-police

And if that had been made public, the McCanns might have thought twice about leaving the kids alone. As has already been discussed, what they did is not that unusual in European resorts BUT if they had known there had been a child molester in the area they might have been more wary.

34jaqdl.jpg

A photograph resembling the missing Madeleine "Maddy" McCann has gone viral on the internet resurrecting public interest in what some are now calling the "most heavily reported missing persons case" in history. [...] [...]
In other news, Roderick Robinson, a pedophile who was charged of sexual abuse among five to seven-year-old children, has reportedly slipped through the hands of the police, according to a report published by Mirror UK.

http://www.breathecast.com/articles...pedophile-suspect-slips-through-police-15852/

Do you guys see a resemblance to Maddie?
I put it in a photo grid, with old photos and an age progressed photo.
344xzpt.jpg

znr4eg.jpg

Back