• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Victoria

Intrepid Sojourner
Bold Member!

Two years, almost to the day, after a Delray Beach woman presumably was lost at sea while honeymooning with her husband in the Bahamas, a judge legally and officially has declared her dead, court records show.

By officially declaring Hellmann’s death, the judge has cleared the way for the couple’s 2-year-old daughter, Emelia, to inherit $18,000 from her mother’s modest estate.
Isabella Hellmann’s husband, Lewis Bennett, is scheduled to be sentenced in his wife’s death later this month.

Bennett, 42, entered into a plea bargain with prosecutors in November and pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter after repeatedly claiming he had been asleep below deck when the couple’s catamaran got into trouble, took on water and sank.

His 41-year-old wife had been at the helm and disappeared, Bennett said, when he later was rescued in a lifeboat.

“As Isabella Hellman has not been heard from nor seen since being lost at sea on May 14, 2017 … there are no reasonable inferences or an explanation of her absence other than her presumed death at sea,” Palm Beach County Circuit Court Judge Scott Suskauer wrote in a May 9 order.

A copy of Hellmann’s completed death certificate was included in court filings. She had no will.

Records show that the judge also ordered the FBI to give the keys to Hellmann’s condominium to an attorney representing her parents so that it can be sold. The condo is valued at $130,000 and Hellmann’s bank accounts totaled $41,117.

The judge ordered that $18,000 go into Emelia’s, who turns three in July, trust account. The little girl now lives with Bennet's parents in Scotland. $20,000 will go toward attorney’s fees and the rest will go toward paying creditors.

When Bennett, a dual citizen of the United Kingdom and Australia, goes before a federal judge on May 28 in Miami, he faces a maximum sentence of eight years in prison.

When Bennett made an apology in court in January to Hellmann’s family, he said: “I know that they have been through unimaginable pain as a result of my actions and for that I am truly sorry.”

He did not describe what happened to Hellmann the night she vanished. Despite a four-day ocean search, Hellmann’s body was never found.

1557913411360.png Maximum of eight years?

:rolleyes:
When Bennett made an apology in court in January to Hellmann’s family, he said: “I know that they have been through unimaginable pain as a result of my actions and for that I am truly sorry.”
“I have made poor decisions which compounded a tragedy of such magnitude that I pray no one else would ever have to experience it,” Bennett said.
He did not describe what happened to Hellmann the night she vanished.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.su...ulvcxhg2tjgvx6d3s3q-story.html?outputType=amp

New pictures of the catamaran that show holes inflicted from the inside and hatches in the hull open to let in water, have been filed by prosecutors in the Lewis Bennett trial.

Bennett, from Poole, is accused of deliberately sinking his boat whilst on his honeymoon to kill his wife, Isabella Hellmann.

Lewis Bennett entered a involuntary manslaughter plea last November, but prosecutors are seeking maximum sentence for the murder of estate agent Hellmann.

Prosecutor Kurt Lunkenheimer filed a list of reasons why Bennett should be sentenced to more than 8 years – the maximum sentence for manslaughter – alleging that the Brit sunk the catamaran to kill Hellmann. He also added: “the fact that [Bennett] would pack all of these items into a life raft, but not actively and diligently look for his wife”.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yb...-of-disappearance-isabella-hellmann-54051/amp

Latest posts

Back