• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
1565364505722.png

This title is dedicated to @Prettypink513

But, as these pictures show, the aftermath was anything but rosy, with "disgusting" piles of litter covering the coastal sands. Discarded beer bottles, plastic carrier bags, crisp packets and drink cans were strewn across beaches as sun-seekers enjoyed themselves on Tropical Thursday. Marine conservation experts have warned of a shocking rise in beach litter over the past quarter of a century, with around 12 million tons of rubbish now entering the oceans every year.

Campaigners are now urging those who flock to the coast on sunny days to "leave nothing behind but your footprints".

On Blackpool beach, where the mercury hit 90.3F (32.4C) on Thursday, a young boy was pictured kneeling down looking at piles of litter on the shoreline as the sun set.

Thousands of sun-seekers descended on the famous Lancashire seaside town as the nation was gripped by the heatwave.

Sadly, many shameless visitors left their rubbish after leaving the resort.

Southend-on-Sea, in Essex, was in a similar state, with plastic and glass waste left on the shoreline, posing a serious danger to marine wildlife, as well as local residents.

There were also distressing scenes of excessive litter at popular beaches in Margate, Kent; Tynemouth, Tyne and Wear, and Musselburgh, East Lothian.

Emily Parr, from the campaign group Love My Beach, said: "It was completely heartbreaking to see the picture taken on Blackpool beach.

The UK is notorious for littering. Here is a short essay by one of my favourite authors, Theodore Dalrymple.

Dalymple is the pen name of Anthony Daniels. He also writes under his real name.

Last edited:
The UK is notorious for littering. Here is a short essay by one of my favourite authors, Theodore Dalrymple.
That was an awesome read.

Back