• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

TheMorningStar

is a catcus
genthumb.jpg

From Julia to Julio

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=82765&catid=8

Seminole, Florida – Larry Roach hates pay day.

He knows it means one thing. $1,250 in alimony for something he calls disgusting and unnatural.

His ex-wife's sex change.

“It goes for paying medication for steroids, testosterone, maintaining a beard, mustache and a penis,â€￾ said Roach.

Larry met Julia on a blind date arranged by his mother's friend. The date went so well, that Julia asked him out again. Three months later, the two were married, with a honeymoon in the Bahamas.

Larry began noticing strange things in his wife's appearance. She cut her long, curly hair very short and got multiple tattoos.

That was odd, but not shocking. What did surprise Larry was the night he caught Julia on the couch injecting herself with testosterone. She said it helped her headaches.

He wanted to believe her. Then other things began to happen. “Her voice started getting deeper," said Roach. "I noticed it. She didn't care.â€￾

Then came the beard. Larry didn't know what to think.

“I know she was shaving while I was at work because she started getting the stubble. I saw a 5 o'clock shadow and thought, damn, she needs to shave. What, this is my wife that needs to shave? What's wrong with this?â€￾

Years later, things fell apart and Julia left.

It wasn't until after the divorce, when Larry did some research after his ex got into an accident, that Larry found out Julia was now Julio.

His ex-wife was listed as a male in a police report.

“Any man's ex-wife does not have a beard, mustache and a penis. That's not my ex-wife. I don't know who that is,â€￾ said Larry.

Larry had to continue making alimony payments, despite taking his case to court. He's paid out $70,000 so far to his, now, ex-husband.

“I didn't marry a man. I didn't divorce a man. The law is making me pay to a man.â€￾

Larry is now married to his high school sweetheart and has a wonderful life. He says he doesn't wish Julio any ill will, but is afraid he might bump into his ex-wife in the men's room someday.

As for the alimony, it stays at $1,250 a month. The Judge in the case said, “Whatever you're born with is what you are.â€￾
:sorry:

wait.. if julia/julio went through gender re-assignment.. why does he still have to pay? julia/julio made a decision to become a man without talking to the husband about it before even starting it, which probably eventually led to their separation.. Uhm.. julia/julio shouldn't be getting *anything* from the ex. except a wave and a goodbye..

~ceisdsgil

wait.. if julia/julio went through gender re-assignment.. why does he still have to pay? julia/julio made a decision to become a man without talking to the husband about it before even starting it, which probably eventually led to their separation.

If I had an ex, there is no way in hell he would be telling me how to spend my money. Does not matter what if I wanted a boob job, lasix surgery, a penguin, or a case of Oreos. It's not his decision in any way shape or form. He pays the alimony, it is now his/her money. The sex of the recipient has no bearing on the court order. She changed her sex but not the fact that he/she was married to him.

I do question why the hell he/she evens gets alimony in the first place and for how long. I suspect that there is something more than what is reported in the article. He returned to the courts and lost. I'ld like to know the reason, his evidence, and his/her rebuttal.

Once he saw what was going on with her, did he think he could change her mind? Was he hoping she'd go girly just for him? Wonder how long they stayed married...

If I had an ex, there is no way in hell he would be telling me how to spend my money. Does not matter what if I wanted a boob job, lasix surgery, a penguin, or a case of Oreos. It's not his decision in any way shape or form. He pays the alimony, it is now his/her money. The sex of the recipient has no bearing on the court order. She changed her sex but not the fact that he/she was married to him.

I'm not sure I agree, but I do see your point. She started out as a woman, who underwent gender re-assignment, this is setting a precedent for others who will 'marry' just to get alimony so their gender re-assignment and subsequent care is paid for. (Another form of abuse of the system, if you will) I don't think she should be permitted to continue to draw alimony. I don't agree with women who marry just to get alimony so they don't ever have to work, either. I think it's selfish and lazy.

~ceisdsgil

It is harder than a mofo to get alimony in most states, especially if the man doesn't make ALOT more than you. Then you have to prove you supported the man either financially or emotionally throughout the marriage. In Oregon it must last for at least five years. I was going to get alimony for 3 years, that was it. Conditional alimony to get some schooling and get back on my feet. And I am one of the very few I know of. But I refused it, he is in my life enough already.

I agree with Dakota though. It sucks for him, but like any cosmetic surgery it is his/her money to spend as she pleases.

this is setting a precedent for others who will 'marry' just to get alimony so their gender re-assignment and subsequent care is paid for.
It is no different than a "gold digger" who marries for the same reason. There is a much larger precedent there. If a partner can prove that "potential maybe-i'll-get-it alimony" was the reason for the marriage, I highly doubt the plan will work. And the "wannabe the other sex" person is going to have to find someone to marry them in the first place. A gold digger of the opposite sex has a better chance.

In this case, the ex is probably pissed because he/she is trying to pick up the same girls as the him.

Last edited:
According to the article, she was preparing for the sex change while she was married to him. Talk about false pretences! If she felt the marriage was a mistake because she had a new desire to become a man, I could understand it. She lied about the hormone use which indicates to me she was hiding her transformation from her husband. What did she think was going to happen? "That's great honey, I always hoped you would become a man!". Divorce was this guy's only way out and now he is being fucked anyway.

my husband said the same thing about the marriage sounding like it was under false pretenses..

I don't agree with gold-diggers getting alimony either.
:(

~ceisdsgil

According to the article, she was preparing for the sex change while she was married to him. Talk about false pretences! If she felt the marriage was a mistake because she had a new desire to become a man, I could understand it. She lied about the hormone use which indicates to me she was hiding her transformation from her husband. What did she think was going to happen? "That's great honey, I always hoped you would become a man!". Divorce was this guy's only way out and now he is being fucked anyway.

He could have opted for divorce at any time yet did not until, according to the article, "years later"... well after he saw these changes occurring.

People divorce all the time because their spouse turned out to be not the "person they thought". Many times for things that should have been known prior to the marriage if all was a perfect world.

Uncaring gold diggers, closet drug addicts, abusers, undisclosed medical conditions or mental illness, superficial spouses who don't want a fat/aged/ill/disabled spouse, hidden homosexual tendencies, folks who cannot/will not be monogamous... you name it and it happens many times. It may or may not be fraud or right or fair.

My objection is to the fact that the ex wanted it overturned because he didn't like how he/she spent the money. It's none of his business. He knew (or should have known) at the time of the divorce what was going on. He/She was granted alimony at that time. If he didn't have the proof to show there was fraud or that the alimony was no longer viable/legal/needed (whatever) then he is SOL.

If a spouse thinks or can prove the marriage was fraud for whatever reason, they should get a divorce ASAP. Nowhere was it ever said that she married him for the alimony or that she intended the change this prior to the marriage (although I am sure she did). He/she may well have thought that marriage would change her outlook only to find it did not.

Take the controversial sex-reassignment out of the equation and it is no different than any of a multitude of pretenses that people get married/divorced for. Wether they engaged in fraud or changed after the marriage.

I DO NOT think he/she should be getting alimony BUT the court ordered it based on things not given in the article. We are not privy to that information or why the return to court did not overturn it. Alimony is hard to get in most areas without good cause. If Florida grants it for "just because" reasons, then the law should be changed. Until then, it is what it is.

Back