• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

wild_angel_1980

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,509443,00.html

I simply can't believe that this story hasn't made it to DD yet. I have searched and searched and haven't found it yet. They are in the middle of this assholes capital murder trial for murdering 4 babies.

4_62_luong_lam_mug.jpg
0109081425_M_luong_hannah.jpg
0109081425_M_luong_ryan.jpg
0109081425_M_luong_lindsey.jpg
0109081425_M_010908_bridge.jpg

MOBILE, Ala. — The Vietnamese mother of four young children tossed to their deaths from an Alabama coastal bridge testified Monday that her common-law husband laughed when he told her that the children — then reported missing — would never be found.
"He kept laughing," Kieu Phan, 23, told jurors at Lam Luong's capital murder trial.
Phan burst into tears when color photographs of the children were flashed on a screen for jurors. Prosecutors said they will seek a death sentence if Luong is convicted.
Click here to see photos.
The 38-year-old defendant sat motionless as the woman identified each of the victims by name: Their children together, Hannah Luong, 2, Lindsey Luong, 1, and Danny Luong, 4 months — and her son with another man, Ryan Phan, 3.
Luong is accused of throwing the children from the bridge on Jan. 7, 2008 after an argument with his wife.
Phan, whose testimony in Vietnamese was interpreted by a translator, said Luong at first told her he had left the children with a woman in Bayou La Batre. By 7 p.m. when they didn't return, she went to police and began a frantic house-to-house search.
Days later, when his story came under scrutiny and he was taken into custody, Luong had officers bring Phan to his jail cell to tell her: "They are all dead," according to her testimony.
"No way that we can find the children," she said he told her. "He kept laughing." She fell to her knees and cried, police testified.
Prosecutors claim Luong, a Vietnamese refugee and part-time shrimp boat worker, drove the family van to the top of Alabama's two-lane Dauphin Island bridge and tossed the children into the Mississippi Sound, some 80 feet below.
Officials said most of the children suffered head or neck injuries in addition to asphyxia due to drowning. They said only the youngest, Hannah, died from drowning alone.
Bayou La Batre Police Capt. Darryl Wilson testified he took Luong's statement in which he admitted to the killings. He quoted Luong as saying he had fought with his family and "wanted to see the look on her (his wife's) face when he told her" about the deaths.
Wilson said Luong initially led police on a search for the children in Biloxi, Miss., but eventually led Wilson and Bayou La Batre Police Chief John Joyner Jr. to the top of the bridge.
"He told me I would need some boats and divers," Wilson said.
That bridge conversation was tape-recorded by police and played for jurors who also were shown his 45-minute videotaped statement.
The four tiny bodies were recovered from waters off the Gulf coast during a search involving hundreds of volunteers in boats, aircraft and scouring the shoreline on foot.
Phan testified that the couple's relationship soured after they moved from Alabama after Hurricane Katrina demolished Bayou La Batre on Aug. 31, 2005, and they relocated to Hinesville, Ga.
Phan said Luong had a girlfriend and began using crack cocaine. She said the family moved back to south Mobile County after Luong was fired from a restaurant job. Luong also returned, but couldn't find work, according to testimony.
At a hearing on March 5, Luong pleaded guilty, but he reversed that decision Wednesday after learning a trial would be held despite the plea. A jury of 10 men and 6 women, including alternates, was seated to hear the case
Luong came to the U.S. as a refugee from Vietnam at 14. Immigration records indicate that he gained legal permanent residence status as a refugee, but never became a U.S. citizen.

yeah, i remember when this happened last year. its just nightmarish.

i appreciate the followup - for some reason i thought he had pled guilty to first degree murder, but capital murder is much more appropriate.

I remember this case, and his mugshot. I would've thought we would have caught that one. He certainly deserves the DP.

That's on our local news, It happened in our area....the guy is a Meth head ( for 15 years) and he took the children away from his wife and wouldn't let her see them, It took her telling him a lie, saying she only had one year to live, that she was going to die so he then acted as if he were going to bring them to her, but killed them instead...

He stated that he was going to throw himself over the bridge too , but wanted to see his wifes' face.....the pain. So he stuck around.He's a mother- fucker....

as the state was selecting the jury, the father wrote a letter to the Judge and said I am guilty, please give me the DP and make it quick.
so that put everything on a stand still.....

then one week later, his lawyer said he didn't mean what he said and now the jury pool was tainted, and they want a request to move the trail to another location...

They had one witness that said he was traveling across the bridge and saw this van pulled over, a guy leaning over a rail throwing a trash bag over....he said...he slowed down and was going to say something to him about littering....but saw he had some kids iin the van and didn't want to make a scene, and as he drove by a little girl with pig-tails smiled at him...
He was throwing them over in trash bags....

Last edited:
MOBILE, ALA. — A jury has convicted a man of murdering four young children who were thrown to their deaths from an Alabama bridge last year.

The jury deliberated for only about 40 minutes in Mobile on Thursday before convicting Lam Luong of murder. The defendant, who came to the United States from Vietnam as a teenager, declined an opportunity to address the court and presented no defense witnesses at trial.

Prosecutors say the man threw the four children from an 80-foot-high span of a coastal bridge after an argument with his wife. Three of the children were his and the fourth was his wife’s with another man.

The jury is expected to return Friday to make a recommendation of death or life without parole in the penalty phase.
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090319/NEWS/90319016/1001

and as he drove by a little girl with pig-tails smiled at him...
He was throwing them over in trash bags....

Dear God that made me go cold all over. Those poor, beautiful babies. I simply cant find the words to describe how much I hate that fucking monster. Babies. Just tossing them away in trash bags like that. I hope he gets the death penalty, and I hope he suffers in hell for all eternity.

That witness will be haunted by this for the rest of his life.

MOBILE (AP) — A jobless shrimper who killed four young children by casting them from the top of an 80-foot-high bridge was sentenced to death by a jury Friday in a crime witnesses said followed an argument with the victims’ mother.

The jury deliberated for about an hour before recommending Lam Luong be executed. He was convicted Thursday of capital murder, the only charge in Alabama in which a death sentence is possible.

Circuit Judge Charles Graddick, who presided over the weeklong trial, was not bound by the jury’s decision. The court said a sentencing hearing is scheduled for April 30.

Luong’s defense urged the jury to be merciful on the Vietnamese refugee, contending he had a mental breakdown and snapped before the killings. But prosecutors said Luong deserved to be executed for dropping the children, ages 3 years to 4 months, from the bridge after arguing with his common-law wife, Kieu Phan, 23.
http://www.sunherald.com/218/story/1219712.html

MOBILE, Alabama (AP) — A judge ordered a death sentence Thursday for a Vietnamese refugee convicted of murdering four young children by tossing them from an 80-foot (24-meter)-high bridge on the Alabama coast.

Circuit Judge Charles Graddick handed down the death sentence to Lam Luong and said he would order prison officials to show Luong photographs of the four children each day he is on death row.
http://www.trentonian.com/articles/2009/04/30/news/doc49f9dc899ce79327018610.txt

WOOHOO! I applaud the judge for ordering him to view the pictures of these children until the day he dies.

My Fire/Rescue was part of 'beach patrol' for these babies when this happened. I prayed continuously that the babies would all be recovered but not by any of us. The prospect of that was high but I've never fared well with children's cases nor elderly abuse.

I really wish they would have let me hand out the punishment. My proposal was that he donned some SCUBA gear (about 30 minutes of air), some nice ankle weights...some nice fresh slashed on his legs, torso, and arms...then throw him off the top of the Dauphin Bridge into a netted off area filled with about 20 starving sharks. Guess torturing him with pictures of the little lives he took every single day until he dies will have to do.

I am so glad to see this story on D'D. It's one that has physically and emotionally affected me since we first got word.

The pictures of them three little ones appears to me to show fear and confusion. This is heartbreaking. Unfortunately no punishment can bring them little ones back, nor take away the pain and fear they experienced.

I would like to hang this man upside down, alive, and field dress him like a deer.

Last edited:
An Alabama appeals court has thrown out the 2009 conviction and death sentence of a man tried for killing four small children by tossing them off a coastal bridge, ruling that publicity surrounding the case made it impossible for the suspect to have a fair trial in Mobile where the crime occurred. The Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals ordered a new trial for Lam Luong, whose wife testified he laughed when he told her their children – whose ages ranged from 3 years to just 4 months – would never be found. Alabama's attorney general could appeal the ruling to the state Supreme Court.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/17/lam-luong-conviction-thrown-out_n_2705859.html

An Alabama man is again facing execution for throwing four children off a bridge.

Last year, the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals reversed Lam Luong's capital murder convictions for the children's 2008 deaths, saying pretrial publicity was prejudicial and that the trial court erred in denying defense attorneys funds to travel to Vietnam.

The Alabama Supreme Court ruled 5-3 Friday that the lower court decision was wrong. Defense attorney Cassandra Stubbs said she will probably ask the court to reconsider.

The three dissenting justices on the state's highest court agreed with the lower court's decision that news media coverage of the case was sensational and prejudicial.

Luong was convicted of capital murder and sentenced to death for throwing the four children off the Dauphin Island Bridge into the Mississippi Sound.

http://mtstandard.com/news/national...cle_e5432d43-471e-5a8c-b203-3024184d7ec1.html

the trial court erred in denying defense attorneys funds to travel to Vietnam.

Why the hell would they need to go to Vietnam? What possible bearing could that have on this case? He left the country when he was 14, ffs - are they hoping to find a character witness who will testify that 14yo Lam was a ''great kid and that they don't believe he would ever do this - he must have been provoked''?!

He'd been in the US for 24yrs before he killed those babies - he's a vile pos and needs to die. Travelling to Vietnam would serve no purpose and the fact the defence were denied should not affect his sentence!

My reaction was the same...what does Vietnam have to do with what he did...maybe they are trying to use the ploy...look at how impoverished his life was for 14 yrs...yada yada. This man was just plain evil...he did it in retaliation for the fight with his wife...his only goal with killing the kids was to destroy her. Typical controlling ass. I sure hope when he is convicted again...that they include the order to show him pictures of these babies daily. Wonder if he's still laughing.

An Alabama man convicted of killing four children by throwing them off a bridge had his death sentence reduced by a judge Monday to life imprisonment, after tests showed the man had an IQ of 51.

The state attorney general’s office and defense lawyers jointly asked the judge to change Lam Luong’s sentence to life imprisonment without parole after agreeing that new IQ tests showed he is intellectually disabled.

Luong was initially sentenced to death in 2009 for driving the four children to the Dauphin Island bridge in coastal Alabama and throwing them into the Mississippi Sound. Three of the four were Luong’s children. The other was his wife’s from a previous relationship, but was being raised in their household. The children ranged in age from four months to age 3.

Mobile County District Attorney Ashley Rich, in an emotional news conference, expressed her frustration in the change of sentence. But she said the law is clear.

“Our hands are tied. No one deserves the death penalty more than the man who on Jan. 7, 2008 — who lived a normal life and no signs of below average IQ — and cold and calculatedly threw his four children off the Dauphin Island bridge,” Rich said.

The bodies of the four children — Ryan Phan, 3, Hannah Luong, 2, Lindsey Luong, 1, and Danny Luong, 4 months — were later recovered along the coast of Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. Hannah’s body was found more than 140 miles (230 kilometers) from the bridge.

Their mother, Kieu Phan, testified that the couple’s relationship had soured and that her unemployed husband had been using crack cocaine and seeing a girlfriend.

Back