• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Tazzzz

Trusted Member
Boy this kid is bat shit crazy and the state isn't helping Kay. She is being charged with child abandonment, because she is afraid to let the son of Satan back into her home. I cant imagine a more terrible way to wake up than with a knife poking in your throat and your 10 year old is the one doing it.

Kay woke up from a nap during the afternoon on Feb. 28 with a kitchen steak knife poking her neck. Her 10-year-old son, Thomas, whom she adopted as a baby, was at the other end of the knife.

"Were you trying to hurt me?" she asked. Thomas only smiled. "Were you trying to kill me?" she asked. Thomas continued to smile.

Kay, who's 52, called the police. This wasn't the first such incident involving Thomas. And she knew it wouldn't be the last.

Thomas, a "drug baby" with multiple medical issues as an infant and emotional problems as a child, always had a dark side.

Maybe it's because the first several months of his life were in a hospital with little physical contact, let alone intimate bonding. Maybe it's because he struggled with reactive attachment disorder, characterized by severely disturbed and developmentally inappropriate ways of relating socially.

Or maybe a mental health expert was correct when he diagnosed the boy - at age 5 - as a sociopath, defined as someone whose antisocial behavior lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.

Either way, Thomas never bonded with Kay, and never really liked her. Despite years of her love, affection and attention, he often called her the B-word. Or wished she would die. And a couple weeks ago he socked her in the face.

I'm scared of my own son," Kay told me last week after the knife incident. "He meant to kill me. He told me so."

"Love could fix everything"

Kay and her husband, Jim, have been foster parents for 20 years, allowing all kinds of kids with all kinds of problems into their home. When the state children's welfare office needed a bed for a wayward child, it knew it could call on Kay and Jim to say yes.

"We took in so many children, the state kept raising the limit on our license," said Jim, a mild-mannered man with an easy smile.

Jim knew which days Kay said yes to the children's welfare office because on those days she made spaghetti for dinner. "We had a lot of mouths to feed," Kay explained from her living-room chair.

In addition to Kay's three birth children, the couple also adopted seven others through the years. They were all minority youngsters with various health issues or developmental disabilities, like Thomas, who has an IQ of 65, several psychological disorders, and has been in therapy since age 4.

Still, it didn't deter the couple. And, according to state records, they have had no violations as foster parents. "We figured love could fix everything, and it was God's gift for me to love children. But maybe," Kay said, her voice trailing off, "maybe we were wrong."

A few of the adopted kids proved too much to handle, and they now live in residential treatment facilities. For example, one 15-year-old son who was "just plain mean" is now living at the Indiana Developmental Training Center, or IDTC.

The IDTC is a residential treatment center in Indianapolis that houses roughly 200 youths with special needs and emotional problems, with a satellite center in Lafayette.

Also, the family has been on the radar of Crown Point Police, whoÕve been called to their home five times the past few years for domestic disputes involving juveniles, according to Police Chief Pete Land.

Today, the couple has only one child living in their home, an 11-year-old daughter who has a history of health problems and a mental disability. On the day I visited their home, she was doing homework at the kitchen counter and she never stopped smiling.

"She's always happy," Kay said. "She's our miracle child."

She's also quite vulnerable, and Thomas has threatened her in the past, just as he has threatened Kay. However, he has never threatened Jim, and his dream is to be rid of Kay and his sister so he can be alone with Jim.

"He told us he wants me and him to move into an apartment in Valparaiso," Jim said, shrugging at the absurdity of the idea. "But that will never happen, especially now."

"I can't take him back"

Last Saturday, Thomas was grounded to his bedroom for stealing another youth's toys. Maybe this is why he stuck a steak knife at his mother's neck with a devilish smile. Maybe not.

Regardless, Kay immediately called the police, who pretty much told her that Thomas is her responsibility, and they couldn't take him. An ambulance was called instead, and Thomas was taken to a local hospital for evaluation before it rejected him.

"They told us he was too young," Kay said.

He eventually wound up at a children's treatment center in Mishawaka, where he remains today awaiting his fate.

Kay and Jim agree that Thomas is a serious threat to Kay and his sister, and he needs permanent residential care away from their home. They also showed me the steak knife he used that Saturday, while explaining how they have gotten rid of any butcher knives.

"I will not take him back," Kay said through tears. "I can't take him back."

Monday, two days after the incident, Kay received a call from the Indiana Department of Child Services, or DCS, telling her, in effect, that she has to take him back. She's been told in the past that if she doesn't allow her son back into her home, she would be charged with child neglect or abandonment. And she would also be placed on a registry of child abusers, officially branding her a bad mother.

"This is what the state is doing to parents in our situation," Kay said. "I'm not the crusader type, but we didn't do anything wrong."

"It's not fair, but ..."

On Tuesday, a DCS worker arrived at the couple's Crown Point home to investigate the case. I had arrived a few minutes earlier to investigate the investigation.

Case manager LaTisha Reynolds was polite, pleasant and professional, and had just visited with Thomas at the Mishawaka facility. She didn't ask who I was, so I didn't tell her. I simply listened.

Kay began by asking whose authority is forcing her to take back her son or face neglect charges.

"The state," Reynolds replied.

"But who exactly from the state?" Kay asked.

"The governor," Reynolds replied.

"So let's say I allow him back into my home and he kills my daughter. Who's responsible then?" Kay asked. "Will I be a bad parent for then allowing that to happen?"

Reynolds replied: "I'm telling you, that's the way it goes. It's not fair, but that's what we're dealing with right now. We've had several cases just like this one."

Kay explained what Thomas told her after the incident: How he planned on waiting for Jim to come home to help clean up her blood and place her body in a garbage can.

Reynolds said it's typical for children with reactive attachment disorder to have ill feelings toward their mother or other women. However, she also noted that Thomas enjoyed living in their home and had no complaints of abuse or neglect.

Kay claimed she is doing the appropriate thing by asking for the proper residential care for her obviously damaged son. But she can't afford the cost, roughly $300 a day.

Reynolds countered by saying state budget constraints won't allow payment for the services Thomas needs.

"Everyone is watching the bottom line," Reynolds said. "So the only way for me to get my child the treatment he needs," Kay said, choking back tears, "is for me to be a bad parent? After spending 20 years taking care of other people's children, now I'll be branded a child abuser? It just isn't right."

"This would be a non-issue"

According to DCS spokeswoman Ann Houseworth, state statute precludes her from speaking directly about this case. But she did provide me with a few general answers.

Thomas can become a ward of the state "if he is considered to be a danger to himself or others, or if (he) needs treatment or care he is not receiving in the home and is unlikely to receive without the intervention of the court."

This would make Thomas a "child in need of services," or a CHINS case, and he would be a ward of the state, no longer the child of Kay and Jim.

"It is up to the presiding judge to determine if the actions of the parents rise to the level of abuse or neglect," Houseworth said.

One of the core values of the DCS states: "We believe every child has the right to appropriate care and a permanent home."

But what happens when appropriate care and a permanent home don't reside at the same place? Whose responsibility is that child then - the guardian or the state? Certainly not the biological parent in many cases, such as this one.

An ideal outcome, Kay and Jim agree, would be for Thomas to live in a residential center getting proper treatment while remaining their child, not a ward of the state.

With this in mind, Kay slumped into her chair and stared at the ceiling. She wondered if Thomas gets charged with attacking her, would she still be expected to take him back?

"He's only 10," Reynolds replied. "If he was 16, it would be different. There are not a lot of places for a 10-year-old to go."

Kay said that in the adoption documents she received, the state is supposed to pay for services that she could not afford. She also noted if she doesn't allow Thomas back, and she's placed on a child abuse registry, it would ruin her job as a substitute teacher.

Reynolds explained that she would discuss this case at a staff meeting the next day: "It all comes down to who is going to provide these services. That's the question here."

So, Kay reasoned, if she never adopted Thomas and instead kept him as a foster child, he would then receive those services as a ward of the state.

"Yes," Reynolds replied. "This would be a non-issue."

"Child will hurt somebody"

The Indiana DCS facilitates more than 1,500 adoptions each year, and situations such as this one happen "very infrequently," Houseworth said.

Foster parents who adopt children from the DCS, such as Kay and Jim, undergo training to handle children who often have disruptive behaviors as a result of abuse or neglect in their past. They also are entitled to post-adoptive services to help them.

"What often gets lost is that when a family goes into court to adopt a child, they swear an oath before a judge to provide that child with a 'forever family,'" Houseworth said.

"They affirm they will provide security, stability and love to a child who may never have experienced it before. They then become the parents, not adoptive parents, of the child."

Kay and Jim wholeheartedly believe they are the "parents" of Thomas. Kay even took Thomas, as a young child, to his grandmother's funeral simply so he could get a photo of him with his biological parents. The parents took the photo and quickly gave the baby back to Kay, and that was that, she said.

In other words, Kay and Jim have given Thomas love, nurturing and Christian values.

"Just as we did with our nine other children," Kay said.

But Thomas has set fires, hurt family pets, threatened his sister and even proudly stoned to death a baby bird that fell from its nest, among other hostile acts.

"This child will hurt somebody," Kay said flatly. "I don't want it to be us."

On Friday evening, DCS Case Manager LaTisha Reynolds returned to the Crown Point couple's home to tell Kay that the state is officially taking custody of her 10-year-old son, Thomas. Kay was also told to appear in court this week and answer to charges of child abandonment, Kay said.

http://www.post-trib.com/news/davich/1466188,davich-308.article

Last edited:
A few of the adopted kids proved too much to handle, and they now live in residential treatment facilities. For example, one 15-year-old son who was "just plain mean" is now living at the Indiana Developmental Training Center, or IDTC.

Why did these people keep adopting emotionally damaged children? While I feel for her I do not understand her logic. These are her kids. Adopted or not. Would she throw a bio kid out like this? Since this is not the first child she has given up on I question her logic in getting more.

I don't know, it sounds to me like she took in the ones no one else would take in, eventually your going to get a child who you cant handle. But no one expects a child to be the next hill side strangler. Sounds to me like she is a good person and tried her best, Thats all I could ask for. I dont know many parents who can deal with a 5-year-old sociopath. She wasnt duct tapeing or hand cuffing him to the bed.

An ideal outcome, Kay and Jim agree, would be for Thomas to live in a residential center getting proper treatment while remaining their child, not a ward of the state.

That only seems right... if this can be done for children with mental or physical disabilities then, why can't it be done for him ? I feel sorry for everyone in this situation the parents, Thomas, and the sibling still at home.

Once upon a time, I would have said that they need to just be more attentive and I would have thought that the mother was overreacting but, after reading a couple of stories about 8-10 y/o's shooting their parents.... I understand their concern. They have another child at home to protect as well.

I feel horrible for this family. I bet it just kills the mother inside to watch her son act like that and know that no matter how much more she loves him and takes care of him he will never love her back.
I am adopted, and i wish there were more good hearted people out there to love these poor kids. But I think this boy is just too far gone. I hope that he gets the help he needs, and that they do not press charges against the mother and father.

what state does she live in? there are safe haven laws and the ages have been rasied...she is not throwing this child out she wants him to get help. she cant afford it and as an adopted child the state does help pay for medical! If he doesnt get help this little boy will turn into a serial killer....almost guarenteed its a lose lose situation like she said i'm a bad parent if I dont take him back and I'm a bad parent if I do and he kills my daughter....I feel very sorry for this family!!

We had an incident where an adopted child did stab and kill his mother.This happened 7 houses down from me http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/2005/07/boy_sentenced_f.php. The parents had 5 kids of their own and went to Guatamala to adopt two preteen girls. They had checked out the girls backgrounds and everything, but when they got there they decided to take the boy because he was so close to them. From what I understand, the children were homeschooled. The family owns a painting business so that is what I assume the older children had to do.

When the stabbing took place, only the youngest child and him were in the home. The rest of them were up the street at a neighbors house. When the boy stabbed her, he took the little girl out on the trampoline and left her to bleed to death. Then he tried to say an intruder had entered the home. We were all very scared until we learned it was him who did it. There has also been rumors that this boy said he wanted to rape his next door neighbor.

The father remarried not long after this and his new wife has 3 or 4 kids of her own. They had to build an addition to accomodate all those kids.

Why did these people keep adopting emotionally damaged children? While I feel for her I do not understand her logic. These are her kids. Adopted or not. Would she throw a bio kid out like this? Since this is not the first child she has given up on I question her logic in getting more.

I agree with Nell on this one. She has given up on other children before. Would she do this to one of her own biological children? Granted this child seems to be a bit more then psycho.

Every child deserves the chance of a loving family. Sounds like she and her husband have taken in the very bottom of the barrel children, that no would would touch, and tried to give them that chance. They shouldn't be condemned because two of the children were just that unreachable. I wish them luck.

Why did these people keep adopting emotionally damaged children? While I feel for her I do not understand her logic. These are her kids. Adopted or not. Would she throw a bio kid out like this?

I don't know what she would do but if my biological child did this crazy shit, he would be put in a mental hospital. No question. That kid is beyond help. Sociopaths can't be rehabilitated. He'll probably go on to kill someone, because the system doesn't know how to handle people like him.

Not all emotionally damaged children have reactive attachment disorder. Many of them are reachable, are treatable, and can hugely benefit from people willing to spend the time. RAD is very hard to successfully treat and can be quite dangerous to other living things in the home. I would place a bio child into residential care too. What else are you going to do when there are still other children at home you're bound to protect? The child with RAD that I cared for for a time eventually had to leave over the same issue - he injured pets and finally became a real threat to the 3yr old in the house. We had door alarms, locked away knives, removed all fire starting materials, but in the end, I wasn't willing to gamble her safety on my ability to successfully have constant vigilance. In a few short years he was going to be able to overpower me. My experience with that wouldn't prevent me from taking on some other troubled child, but I certainly have more awareness about what kinds of problems we're actually able to deal with until the other children in our house are grown. A kid like this clearly needs intensive help, but the issue is where does the money come from? The state just doesn't want to pay.

Very hard to admit this......... my 14 almost 15 yr old has rage issues. at 13 he hit me because he didn't want to clean his room, no police were called. Again the same year, he hit me for taking away his PSP, police were called, he was taken to the station and told what will happen if he does this again. Later the same year, he beat the living crap out of my, at the time 10 year old son, police were called, again to the station, called Dad went to dad's for "cooling off" I took him to therapy, the therapist thinks I'm too strick and too many chores (he has to take out the garbage and keep his room neat). things go well for about 6 months, gets upset with me beats up my 9 year old daughter. Send him to Dad's again. three weeks ago, calls me a "Stupid Fucking Bitch" hit's my now 12 yr old in the chest with his elbow, smacks my now 10 year old daughter, and pulls my 5 year olds hair. I force him out of my house and call the police, they still are yet to do anything. He now lives with his dad and step-mom and cannot come back to my house at all. I refuse to have my angry, rageful son beat me up or my other kids. I will when we are both ready pick him up for a few hours, but he cannot be alone with my other kids.
It's heart breaking to feel you have done all you can and given them all the love in the world and they still are so angry. I haven't given up on him, but I do feel it's time for Tuff Love and alot of help from outside services and his dad before my son becomes a social path.

Over thirty years ago, this type of thing happened with a neighbor living just a few doors up from us.

Their bio-sons died in a car accident. Very sad, such nice boys, older son was driving the younger one to a game.

About two years after the boys died, the wife decided that she couldn't live in her home without children. She talked her husband into adopting two pre-teens a bother and sister pair with a dark and tragic background. The wife believed that all the children needed was love and patience. The children's behavior destroyed their marriage within a year, and the husband moved out.

Yet, the wife held on. IMO both kids were psychopaths, damaged beyond repair. Very, very scary, out of control children. They started fires, fought with each other and other children- knives were usually their weapon(s) of choice. The wife put dead bolts on her bedroom door after she awoke to find the little girl standing over her with scissors pointed within a few inches of her eye.

These two children could have been made the poster children for cases warranting euthanasia, and I don't say that facetiously.

The wife did her best for another 12-18 months, after her husband had left. She finally had to turn the kids back over to the state, they were simply too dangerous to be out in society. She said she felt like a complete failure, both as a mother and a woman.

There was a tiny bit of a happy ending about a year after she gave up the kids, she got back together with her husband and they remarried and moved away.

The children were released from state care when they turned 18. I often wonder if I haven't read about them here.

I have to give the family credit for taking in those kids that most people do "throw away." From the sounds of it, I dont think it was an easy decision for them to give up any child. Unfortunately they cant save everyone, and they have to look out for the welfare of all their kids. I dont think its fair for the state to prosecute them for a job the state wont or cant even do!

I dont know if this is the same family but I saw a simular show- one of those Dateline/20-20/Nightline kinda shows that addressed this issue. There is some kind of "camp" somewhere that kids like this go to when they are at the end of the chain for help. Most of the kids that parents send them there never get better...its sad really.

Back