• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
A Texas woman accused of taking her healthy son to the hospital 323 times and making him undergo 13 major surgeries pleaded guilty in a Dallas County courtroom to recklessly causing injury to her child, according to The Star-Telegram.

A sentencing hearing is scheduled for Oct. 11, according to court records. Bowen faces two to 20 years in prison.

“I am happy that she decided to do the right thing. Eventually the lies had to stop,” the boy’s father, Ryan Crawford, according to The Star-Telegram. “Now hopefully those who thought a mother could never do this to their child will see evil does exist.”

Crawford said he tried to convince family court judges that his son was not sick, but they sided with Bowen.

The 8-year-old boy had been placed full-time on oxygen and sometimes used a wheelchair. He was also fitted with a feeding tube, which led to life-threatening blood infections.

The Dallas hospital staff eventually determined the did not have cancer or several of the alleged symptoms, and officials removed him and his two half-siblings from Bowen’s care.

“It’s horrible for my son, or any kid because obviously, my son is not the only one that has had to go through this type of torture,” Crawford said. “The system has to be exposed — all the weaknesses that are in the system — because the kids don’t deserve that.”

So if they were unnecessary, how did she talk doctors into these surgeries? This stuff always makes me think about the doctors. How do they justify the surgeries?
She doctor shopped. Drug the child to different hospitals in different states to feed her need. Always starting the problem anew. Each doctor did not entirely know what others had already done when they did exploratory surgery.

Also, I hope the father gets a big settlement from the family court system that refused to take him seriously for so many years.

Last edited:
"
"DALLAS — A 35-year-old Texas woman accused of taking her healthy son to the hospital 323 times and making him undergo 13 major surgeries pleaded guilty Thursday in a Dallas County courtroom to recklessly causing injury to her child, according to The Star-Telegram.Kaylene Bowen was arrested on Dec. 6, 2017 and charged with injury to a child. She claimed her 8-year-old son was dying from a rare genetic disorder and was in need of a transplant due to lung cancer, according to CBS DFW."

Six years...

L I N K

By Minyvonne Burke and Associated Press

A Texas mother was sentenced to six years in prison for faking her son's illnesses and causing him to get medical treatments and surgeries he did not need.

Kaylene Bowen-Wright was sentenced Friday in a Dallas courtroom after she pleaded guilty in August to recklessly causing injury to a child.

Investigators said Bowen-Wright's son, Christopher Bowen, spent the first eight years of his life in and out of the hospital because she claimed he had a number of health problems such as cancer, muscular dystrophy, heart issues and seizures, according to NBC Dallas-Fort Worth.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...itals-320-times-had-13-surgeries-his-n1065406

Also why do these doctors just go with the moms word on it? Can’t they check?
HIPAA. With a very young child who can't speak for itself, medical professionals have a reasonable expectation that concerned mom is telling the truth about observed symptoms. If they researched the veracity of every claim, they would be wasting more resources than on the rare munchausen mom, who is also doctor/hospital shopping. For the parent, it's the thrill of the con + martydom attention.
Imagine the stress of a munchausen by proxy mom when her child gets old enough to speak about symptoms. How hard that poor mother must work to convince not only doctors, but the child that the illness is as serious as claimed. I remember one girl whose mother sedated her before doctor appointments so she couldn't talk about it.
I also think of Evil Lacey Spears, who work hard to keep her son/play doll a cute blonde girl, and deathly sick. Given the slightest chance, that boy bounced back to health and boy behaviour. She had to work so hard on keeping him sick, she killed him with salt.

The court made the wrong call, but I’d bet as usual CPS fucked up and it was their recommendation that influenced the court’s decision
More than likely they want to look like heroes. It’s seems like the kids that need help don’t get it, and the ones in a happy home are stolen and given to monsters while CPS gets a big paycheck from the government.

Excellent article written just before the trial started.

More details about family history and how the poor boy's mother trained him to shirk. They are looking into charging her with financial fraud for medicaid, gofundme's etc.
I was hoping to find that her parental rights had been terminated, but not yet. Because one of the father's of her children doesn't want the boy, she retained custody and it complicated matters.

This helps explain why her sentence is so short.
[...]Kaylene’s lawyer believes the state has no case because there is no evidence that Kaylene did anything to harm her child, such as inducing symptoms. Rather, he says, Kaylene was simply following the directions of doctors who were mistreating her son.

Weber, the detective, says prosecutors in Texas often rely on a state law that considers it a felony to provide misleading information that causes someone else to commit a crime, such as performing unnecessary surgeries that pose a substantial risk of death. But risk of death is a high bar to prove in a medical abuse case. This past legislative session, Ryan joined advocates in Austin who attempted to introduce a bill that would strengthen this provision by making it a third-degree felony if a mother pursues surgeries for her child that lead to a protracted loss of bodily function. The bill met resistance from anti-vaccinators who feared they would be criminalized for refusing to have their children vaccinated, and it died in committee.

For now, medical child abuse remains, as Weber puts it, “the easiest form of child abuse to commit and get away with in the state of Texas.”
[...]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back