• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
A woman accused of murdering her young niece and cruelty offences has denied all charges against her.

Kay-Ann Morris, 24, from Nottingham, is charged with killing Shanay Walker, who was found dead at a house in the city's Bestwood Park area in July.

Ms Morris, of Beckhampton Road, is also accused of cruelty to Shanay, in 2012, along with the same charge against two other children, in 2011.

A second woman has also been charged with cruelty towards the girl.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-31460249

Wth was Morris doing even allowed around her niece considering the previous 2 charges against her dating back 2 years? I would LOVE to know what the outcome of those charges was :mad:

Wth was Morris doing even allowed around her niece considering the previous 2 charges against her dating back 2 years? I would LOVE to know what the outcome of those charges was :mad:

I think those charges are only being laid now, since the death of Shanay.

Maybe her family didn't think she could have possibly have been cruel to a child? It wouldn't be the first time we have seen family members refuse to see their relatives for what they are and it costs a child their physical wellbeing or even their lives.

Ms Morris, 24, of Beckhampton Road, Nottingham, has denied murder and cruelty charges.

Shanay's grandmother Juanila Smikle, 53, of Easegill Court in Top Valley, also denied cruelty charges relating to Shanay and four other children.

Ms Morris, is also charged with cruelty against two other children in 2011. [So these charges definitely only being laid now!]

A post-mortem examination found more than 50 injuries to Shanay's body, face, arms, legs and buttocks and the cause of death was a brain injury.

Teachers at Shanay's school told police her personality changed from "bubbly and happy" to "introverted and anxious" when she was around her aunt.

The prosecution said two neighbours had told police they had seen Shanay "upset, crying and even hysterical" at times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-32383960

The mother of a seven-year-old girl who died of brain injuries has told a murder trial she noticed "signs of bruising" on her daughter after she was put in care.

She told how she developed depression and anxiety in the year after her second child's birth and eventually agreed to Shanay being put into care.

Ms Walker said she was unhappy when Ms Morris was granted guardianship in 2011.

She said Shanay's father nominated his sister Kay-Ann Morris, of Beckhampton Road, Nottingham, as guardian - which was eventually made official.

The court heard in subsequent visits Shanay showed signs of bruising and "seemed distant".

She told the jury she received a phone message on the morning of Shanay's death from Ms Morris saying: "I'm sorry. I wasn't strong enough."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-32399805

Please can I have a drink? Tragic last pictures of Shanay, 7, running barefoot to a shop looking for fluids - just hours before she was found dead with 50 injuries after years of cruelty at hands of aunt and grandmother
  • Footage shows Shanay Walker in desperate search for something to drink
  • The seven-year-old runs into corner shop and speaks to man behind till
  • Hours later her bruised body was found at home of aunt and grandmother
  • Women were cleared of murder but found guilty of cruelty and jailed today
  • Judge says it was 'about the worst case of cruelty it is possible to imagine'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lty-hands-aunt-grandmother.html#ixzz3cGO1tX2F

Why didn't the authorities act? Review called into case after it emerges social workers closed case a week before youngster was found dead

Shanay's tragic death has become the subject of a serious case review after it emerged social workers closed a case a week before the seven-year-old died.

During the trial, it was heard that Shanay had complained to her teachers about what was happening at home but investigations found that the little girl's cuts and bruises were accidental.

The court heard teachers at Shanay's primary school had noticed injuries to her which were recorded in Safeguarding Referral forms and then shown to a social worker.

But Morris gave explanations for the marks, telling staff a burn mark on the child's thigh was because she had stood too close to a radiator.

The prosecutor said she also claimed Shanay 'hurt herself'.

If you had not been so good at fooling them, who were unable to see the real you, Shanay would be alive today, regardless of how she came to die
Mr Justice MacDuff
The court was told that a social worker who observed Shanay with her aunt had found the two had a close and loving relationship.

It also emerged that a multi-agency meeting was held with Morris and Shanay's school, Southglade Primary, but the case was closed a week before she died.

Mr Justice MacDuff praised teachers at Shanay’s school who noticed her injuries and passed their concerns on to social workers.

But he added the care workers appeared to have fallen under Morris’ ‘malign spell’ and were ‘manipulated’ into believing she was a good parent who ‘loved Shanay and did her best for her.’

The judge told Morris: 'If you had not been so good at fooling them, who were unable to see the real you, Shanay would be alive today, regardless of how she came to die.

'I consider you to be wicked and lacking in compassion.'

The Local Safeguarding Children's Board will now examine how the agencies involved in the case worked together, and will look at whether any opportunities were missed to protect Shanay.

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police added: 'A Serious Case Review (SCR) has been commenced by the Local Safeguarding Children Board to examine the interaction between the agencies involved in this case.

'The SCR will look at whether any opportunities were missed to better protect Shanay and whether any lessons can be learned from this tragic outcome.'

The results are expected to be published within 12 months.

Last edited:
Juanila Smikle, 55, was convicted last year of cruelty towards seven-year-old Shanay Walker, who was found dead at her home in Bestwood in July 2014, and also to three other children.

She was originally sentenced to four years in prison.

Her daughter, 24-year-old Kay-Ann Morris, was also convicted of cruelty at that trial, and sentenced to eight years in prison. Having appealed against her conviction, Smikle was ordered to face a retrial, which began at Nottingham Crown Court earlier this month.

During the original trial, the court heard evidence that another child had also suffered cruelty from Smikle. Consequently, in addition to the four original cruelty charges, she was charged with a fifth count which had not been included in the 2015 trial indictment. Each count alleged that Smikle, formerly of Easegill Court, had subjected her victims to assault or ill-treatment which was likely to cause them harm, injury or ill-health.

Following a number of days of deliberation, the jury returned guilty verdicts on all counts on Friday (23 September). Smikle will be sentenced on Tuesday 4 October. Detective Superintendent Rob Griffin, who led the original investigation into the death of Shanay Walker, said: “Clearly, this has been a distressing few months for the families of her victims, particularly the parents of Shanay Walker, with the uncertainty and upset that a retrial can generate, having already had to endure the detail of the original trial.

“It is clear that Smikle gave no regard to the physical and emotional abuse she had heaped upon her victims and it is reassuring that a jury has again found the evidence against her to be compelling. “There is no comfort to be gained from this outcome, other than the knowledge that she will continue to serve a prison sentence. “Our thoughts continue to be with the families of her young victims.”

A headteacher has been struck off for failing to protect a seven-year-old girl who was tortured to death by her own family members.

Shanay Walker died after a 'sustained, vicious and brutal beating' in July 2014 following years of violent punishment by her churchgoing aunt and grandmother.

A conduct panel found Peter Smalley, of Southglade Primary School in Nottingham, where she was a pupil, had dire safeguarding systems in place that failed to protect pupils.

The 44-year-old was found guilty of unacceptable professional conduct and struck off the teaching register for at least five years.

In evidence to the panel, he said: 'I did not understand my responsibilities as head teacher.

'I hold my hands up. I should have put safeguarding at the front of my thinking. I was passive.'

Back